Off the grid

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by Mellow Yellow, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Mellow Yellow

Mellow Yellow Electrical Banana

So I bought a place in northern New England, way da f*ck up near the Canadian border. I'd been toying with the idea of off-grid living, but now it's becoming a reality, because I plan to move there, get out of this life that's killing me, but first I need to make it sustainable, and comfortable. There are no rules, so I can compost my poop, but I'm also looking at harvesting energy and being independent. Obviously wood is the source for heat, that hasn't changed, but if I can harness the energy efficiently heating water and circulating it, I'm good. Electrically I'm going with small, scalable power sources, like under 1000 watts each, wind turbines and solar panels. They're cheaper, and you can parallel them together for more power. That way you don't have to jump in all at once. I've got a retirement plan, it's called living off the grid.

Dude111 and idahocowboy like this.
  2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Sounds Like A Plan......Any Idea How Long Before You Move..???...:smilecat:

Cheers Glen.

3. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

You
    hit the nail on the head, most peoples lives are killing them. Man was not meant to run on a treadmill endlessly from birth till death. Good man, I love your style.

4. Flashdown

Flashdown Members

What type of batteries are you going to use and A/h rating to power your loads?

5. brack1936

brack1936 Member Lifetime Supporter

I began the process six months ago. So far the house is there, cold water is being pumped and I have solar panels, battery storage and an inverter. I just keep having to wait for the money to get new things happening. Next thing is to get gutters up. I haven't yet decided how I'm going to do the hot water.

idahocowboy likes this.
  6. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Mellow Yellow Hasn't Logged On Since 22nd April 2018......I Wonder Why People Start Threads......

Get Peoples Interest......Then Never Return...??????..(scratches head)....:confounded:

Cheers Glen.

7. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Perhaps he bought a generator and electrocuted himself.
    Just a thought. :yum:

8. brack1936

OH how good were the days when the forum was FLAT OUT busy. Lots of people from Oz too.

9. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

Very cool, glad to see more folks are taking "survival" seriously. Do your solar panels work your well pump ??

10. brack1936

Yeah I'm going 12 volt for many things. Pumps are 12 volt and I have heaps of batteries. Solar panels charge batteries -- > batteries power things.

idahocowboy likes this.
  11. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

Nice, I'm trying to decide on a hand pump for my well "simple pump" or solar. For the past four years I've worked on planting assorted fruit trees and a huge organic garden, along with a constant compost pile in the works. The horses make a good source for the compost pile along with kitchen scraps. I try and keep a supply of long term food, enough for six months to a year giving me time to get a garden crop in and harvested in the case of an emergency. Good luck to you.