Off My Meds

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by tumbling.dice, Jan 11, 2018.

1. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I've recently stopped my Zoloft and Abilify meds and have started having some side effects. I feel damn aware of everything and will occasionally zone out for a second or two and then abruptly come back to reality. I've also starting having very vivid, weird dreams. Last night I dreamed about digging up my parents graves. They were very hectic dreams that left me feeling drained and worn out through the day, like I hadn't slept at all. I awake feeling depressed and horrid. I hate being on meds but maybe I need to be on them. Any advice? Anyone else taper off these meds and it was OK?

2. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

It's generally not a good idea to go off any prescription drug abruptly, and especially not a good idea to go off a drug without consulting your prescriber.

What do you hate about being on meds?

If you at any time you feel that you are or might become in danger of making a suicide attempt, it's probably best to get back on the meds.

You might want to take a look at this thread
    Treating Depression and Anxiety

I recommend acupuncture and traditional Chinese herbal medicine frequently. Acupuncture has been endorsed by the World Health Organization for treating a variety of conditions, including depression.

There's more to say, but that's a start.

Hope that things can get better soon!

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

Diet.. Eat brain food.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

This is withdrawal... You can't just quit this stuff, you need to taper down.

5. fundoo

fundoo Members

Did this get any better Tumbling Dice?? You were having these "withdrawal symptoms" or you were having this while on the meds? I know these meds have a side effect of what you've described, but those sometimes eventually go away. Definitely, definitely consult your doctors though before going off any meds. And definitely taper off.

6. One Man Band

One Man Band Member

Our clinic deals with these situations every day. In an attempt to attain and maintain a balance in life, medications are prescribed. When a client reduced prescribed medication, adds non-prescribed drugs or both, that balance is lost. If you feel there is a problem that you treat by reducing prescribed medications, consult your doctor asap.

7. NoHobo

NoHobo Members

Try 5HTP. Read up on it. Does wonders as a much more natural and side-effect free mild depression aid.

RainyDayHype likes this.
  8. OrleansWordsmith

OrleansWordsmith Moderate anarchist

What were these prescribed for Dice? And why didn't you talk to your doctor before going off them? In all this time, you may have gotten yourself in a good place, but as the above people said, your body becomes dependent on these medications to keep your mood even. If you are taking them for mania and depression, you should not go off them or either or both may return. Get to your doctor and if these don't seem to be working well for you, get something else that works better. These are usually trial and error medications and different folks respond differently to them. And for all depression regular exercise helps you feel better. Get 30 minutes a day at least. All it takes is walking. Regular sleep is also essential. 6-8 hours a night. Also affects mood. Good luck.

ZenKarma likes this.
  9. roccobkln

roccobkln Members

I’m on Zoloft and Seroquel and the side-effects wear me down. As bad as they are, not taking them would be worse. My advice is to get back on your meds and stable out, then discuss with your doctor changing meds.

10. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

I have friends who have done the same thing, with tragic results. Sorry you are going through this. I also believe you should talk to a doctor about alternatives or different dosage.

Hang in the tumbling.dice!

11. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

UPDATE: Back on the meds for a couple of months now...I had forgotten about this thread. Thanks for all the advice!

12. Monthly injections are better, 'cause then you don't have to take the pills. The pills are worse, in my experience. I could barely stand up straight sometimes. The shots are nothing, I can barely feel them and then don't have to think about it for a month.

13. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I tapered off Olanzapine over the course of about 5 months & about a 3-4 weeks after I'd stopped I started to relapse.

Now, with Abilify I went up to 30mgs (maximum dose) on that stuff & I still had psychotic symptoms.

Risperidone seems to be better than Abilify, I just have to overcome the side effects as much as possible (currently on 3mgs).

14. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

What I understood, is that you did tapper, right? People were assuming you went cold turkey. I have tapperrd off similar drugs and actually went cold turkey with Zoloft. Yeah yeah,I know you're not supposed to. It's a bitch. Zoloft did nothing for me.
    I'm completely drug free right now but I am thinking about getting Xanax again to take as needed cuz I have some extreme panic attacks sometimes.
    It sucks you are back on the meds,did th doctor advise you will eventually tapper?

I've actually realized I don't need meds, I just need to minimize stressful situations and hang around positive people that do Not depress me.

15. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I don't want to ever come off them to be brutally honest. & yeah, I would taper if & when I come off.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  16. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Rispiridone nearly ruined my life. I had never had a panic attack in my life until I mixed that stuff with alcohol. I had the worst experience imaginable. It introduced a biochemical systemic panic disorder that took me more than ten years to get over. Became a benzos addict. Couldn't really go out without them. I still get a panic occasionally and usually have a few benzos around if I'm going somewhere spirits will be running high and there will be alcohol. Do not drink on rispiridone!!! I'm on abilify and olanzapine for a voice hearing problem and could not live without them. My psychotic symptoms are pretty low now. I'm still nuts but just like regular nuts not a complete fruitcake.

17. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Well, it's working well for me so far, it's only some of the side effects that I worry about a bit (I've only been on Risperidone for 2 weeks now).

18. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Modern medication is a wonderful thing, but it is full of pitfalls.

If you break your leg, you need a plaster to support the bones while they heal, crutches to walk and some painkillers make life a lot easier.
    However, you will expect your doctors to remove the plaster at the correct time, get rid of the crutches and you will have no further need for the painkillers.

Mental conditions are exactly the same, but the drugs used to treat them are addictive and unlike the broken leg, the healing process is less predictable.
    Doctors are often reluctant to reduce medication, due to fears that you will harm yourself, so you need to take control.
    Don't be too hard on yourself, but be careful not to end up reliant on addictive medication that is starting to become part of your normal metabolism and having little benefit on the original condition.

I am always reluctant to post specifics, since I have no real ideas why you needed the medication and I am not an expert on mental trauma.

Also, NEVER change medication prescribed by a consultant following surgery.
    Weening yourself off anticoagulants following cardiac surgery will make you feel better while you sit down and die.
    Patients looking to the internet following cardio-thoracic procedures have ended their life by looking at ways of dealing with heroine addiction and not realizing that their prescribed medication is needed to keep blood flowing to the muscles that cause their heart to function..

19. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I think you need some

20. OrleansWordsmith

OrleansWordsmith Moderate anarchist

I'm a little worried that you say you have used or currently use benzos and alcohol when you said you were a benzo addict. Both of those are central nervous system depressants and unless you are drinking less than four ounces of wine or 1.5 ounces of alcohol, or one beer, you are further depressing your nervous system. None of those antipsychotics or benzos mix with alcohol or each other. Benzos also have a link to Alzheimer's. I understand that benzos and alcohol have the effect of lessening psychotic symptoms, but you clearly said you had a terrible experience with risperidone and benzos, were addicted... and pop some when going to parties with alcohol. Sounds like self-medicating. Do you mention this to your doctor? None of this sounds prudent. Tell your doctor what you've said here. I'm concerned for you.