Obama to arm Syrian rebels

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Meliai, Jun 14, 2013.

1. odonII

odonII O

Thanks for the heads-up.

2. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

The more I know about the Syrian rebels, the less interest I have in seeing them get any help.

One scary thing is, on this issue, I find myself agreeing somewhat with the Russians and Sarah Palin. I don't remember that ever happening before.
    :confused:

A big part of this dispute is religious, and most Americans don't know enough about Islamic factions to pick a side. I think we should stay out of it.

3. StoneFeather

StoneFeather Member

Mr. Obama should be charged with treason since we're now in the business of arming Al Qaeda militants.

4. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Latest news is that Camerons shelving the idea of arming the Rebels,knows hes unlikely to get it thru Parliment,even enough Tories are against it. Obamas never mentioned Syria (so far). i suspect the arming rebels issue was pre G8 rhetoric in an attempt to influence Putins position.

5. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

The US Congress didn't get to vote on it. :mad: Latest poll, 70% of Americans are opposed to this, 20% in favor, 10% undecided.

Obama's approval rating has fallen 8% in the past month. I'm a member of the 8%.

6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When Obama came in office with high hopes and rhetoric--the shadow government let him know how this country REALLY IS RUN and how situations,domestic and foreign are to be handled. The fact that congress is supposed to be the empowered body that declares war has been usurped by the military-industrial complex and now any sitting president can send death and destruction just about anywhere the warmongers direct. I believe WW 2 was the last time the constitution was adhered to regarding the war powers act.

7. odonII

odonII O

I think you have worded this incorrectly. It suggests Cameron wanted to, but has chosen not to because he thinks it will not get through parliament. Even though he doesn't have to put it to a vote. But he has given assurances it would.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffee...nt-get-a-vote-on-syria-pm-says-basically-yes/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10105384/MPs-get-vote-on-British-involvement-in-Syria.html

http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-...-arming-syrian-rebels-fighting-assad-1.525284

http://thehill.com/blogs/global-aff...ipartisan-vote-to-arm-syrian-rebels-next-week

8. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

No, Iwas quoting the views of BBC Reporter,but you werent to know that. My last line speculating that the whole arming of the Rebels issue (probably even for Obama) has been rhetoric to try to influence Putin (maybe Asssad) prio to the G8 was my hunch.

9. odonII

odonII O

Quoting the views of a BBC reporter is probably not a good thing to do. It's either out of the horses mouth, or should not be said at all. Especially regarding such serious issues. Although, everybody is welcome to their own opinion, I guess. It does not have to be right! A quandary.

10. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Who the FUCK do you think you are, the post police?

11. odonII

odonII O

:bobby: No. I was a little pompous. All I was trying to say is that I would not quote a BBC reporter with out seeing if it was actually true - which, in this case, I don't think it was.

12. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

The BBC is ,generally, looked on as a reliable source. Don't come the smartarse with me again & we'll get along fine.

13. odonII

odonII O

I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass - I was questioning your 'latest news'. I've heard Nick Robinson et al enough to know they all come across as authoritative and factual. But they always seem to prefix most of the things they say with: 'sources close to the PM' etc. So, I might not have expressed myself very well, but my basic point was a fair one. When you posted your comment the official line seems to have been: 'No decision has been made'.

14. MrKewl

MrKewl Member

Watch everyone support this at first, then get mad when it goes exactly like it always does.

'Murika.

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I don't think anyone is supporting this to be honest, at least no one that I've talked to. I. just don't think anyone is going to get outraged about it unless it involves men and women on the ground. Sending arms over doesn't directly affect Americans so everyone will just return to their regularly scheduled program.

16. PJ1783

PJ1783 Member

Great and what if these people are tied to Al-Q?

Then our government will have created a new disaster of it's own making which will then be used to gut our rights.

17. Angelx1

Angelx1 Member

is he screening them for any mental disabilities?

18. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

The fact that the pentagon is destroying $7 billion worth of war machine in Afghanistan instead of giving it to the rebels, just shows that it's all about the U.S. war economy.

19. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Wow, busy guy that Obama. But realistically, how many rebels can one man arm?

20. odonII

odonII O

That does not make sense.

21. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Yeah, I know.