NYS in the Fall

Discussion in 'New York' started by sexbanshee, May 16, 2007.

1. sexbanshee

sexbanshee Member

I am hoping to see NYS in the fall...when would be best to travel

I was thinking end of Sept/beg of Oct...would that be the best time?

Thanks guys

:)

2. flowerpower420

flowerpower420 Member

That would be a great time, the leaves will be changing and it will be beautiful! Where in NY are you planning to go? There are so many great places to hike and camp. The weather at this time is usually still pretty mild also. Can be in the 60-70 degree range during the day and of course cooler at night.

Let me know where you are planning to travel and maybe I can make some recommendations of places to go!

3. sexbanshee

sexbanshee Member

Hey

Thanks thats very kind of you...

Ive a friend in the Highland/Poughkeepsie area...do you know it...if so whats it like

and another who lives on the Masachussetes(sp) border...

I was thinking of renting a log cabin somewhere between the two if I can hire a car.....any ideas...would love to see the catskill mounts but not sure how far that would be from Poughkeepsie...

Thanks girl!!

4. flowerpower420

flowerpower420 Member

I live in Poughkeepsie! It is a nice area, about 90 minutes from NYC by train or car. The Catskills are about 1 hour. There is great hiking over in New Paltz which is just 20 minutes or less from Highland. There is so much to do in this area. Being here in the fall is great for visiting the farms, getting pumpkins, apples etc! There are mansions you could tour along the river, such as Vanderbilt or Roosevelt. We camp up in the Catskills. I really love it up there. I am not sure about a log cabin, but a good idea for rentals might be to check out Craigslist.com on the internet/Hudson Valley. People post vacation rentals and house swaps all the time.

Let me know if you need more info!

5. sexbanshee

sexbanshee Member

Hey you live there!!!

Do you think I could get a train from JFK Airport to Poughkeepsie and then maybe hire a car from there?

I so wanna go to the Catskills......thanks so much for your help!!!

xx

6. flowerpower420

flowerpower420 Member

You van take the Metro North train right into Poughkeepsie. I am not sure if you can take it directly from JFK, I don't think so, but I will check with my husband (he is a pilot and in and out of JFK and LGA all the time). The website for the train is http://www.mta.info There are places to rent cars, and you could get one from Enterprise car rental, they will deliver the car to you!

7. sexbanshee

sexbanshee Member

Thanks so much, you are being very helpful
    and I appreciate you kindness.....

I am so looking forward to visiting the States,
    its been a long time since I was there...

:)

8. flowerpower420

flowerpower420 Member

You are welcome!

9. JAYZ

JAYZ Member

If you are in that area...you should check out New Paltz...... great lil town....lots of Hiking and rockclimbing..biking ect....

10. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

if you're thinking about checking out new paltz, why not keep on going and visit woodstock? i love that little town so much! and it's beautiful in the fall!

11. sexbanshee

sexbanshee Member

Hey guys

Thanks....I didnt check out this thread for ages!!

I am hoping to stay in New Paltz....have a friend there....what is it like at night time, are there any good bars or clubs there and is there a good music scene at all?

How far is Woodstock from there.....???

Thanks

xx

12. gemstar

gemstar Member

Hit Baccus....(not sure of the spelling...) in New Paltz. You should also check out Warwick...the winery's...this time of year there is usually music of some kind going on...mostly folk and bluegrass. And Sugar Loaf is a neat little hidden spot.
    Enjoy!!

13. sexbanshee

sexbanshee Member

Thanks gemstar......!!!

I cannot wait to get back to the USA!!