Nudity at gatherings

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by Booga, Apr 13, 2007.

1. zencoyote

zencoyote Member

It shouldn't be. You're doing the right thing. Always look another in the eyes when speaking AND listening. It shows you give a shit about what they're saying.
    You're a dude, right? I really don't know.
    Matters not....when speaking to a sister, nekkid or not, ALWAYS!!! look her in the eye. (or at least her face) Women get very annoyed when you talk to their tits!!!!!!

Zen

2. bekyboo52

bekyboo52 52~unknown~52

i personally (even thou I've never been to a gathering or anything) would probably be embarrassed, for no reason other than it would be weird being there with naked people running around...

3. Gerald

Gerald Member

Is anyone able to explain why there is now less nudity at gatherings in the US. This also appears to be the case outside the US now, with several exceptions such as the Middle East and Russian Families. I was under the impression that the option to be naked was a key belief of the Rainbows. I was also under the impression that Rainbow nudity was non-sexual rather than exhibitionist and the purpose was a demonstation of committment to the natural world. Nudity was expected and encouraged at Rainbow type gatherings in NZ in the 1970s and 1980s. The Australian ConFest gathering, which is not Rainbow as such but is similar, is clothes optional and has been since its inception some thirty years ago as are the Australian Rainbow gatherings themselves. In recent years the Rainbow Family as such has been re-established here after the "alternative outdoor festivals" faded away in the mid-1980s. Gerald.

4. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

In the USA it is illegal to be nude in public (forests, parks, beaches, wal-mart), you can get a ticket, if your drunk n nekid you go to jail, going to jail is no fun, but going to jail nekid, really sucks.

Your right Zen, women DO get testie when ppl talk to their tits, like that's all you are worth. Like you have no mind or purpose other then sex. I've had big breasts since I was 11 and I will tell you that it was hell being made a spectical bc of a body part. It warped my pyche, never did like ppl gawking at my beauties, even women would stare at them. I got to the point I was tapeing them down so no one would know I had breasts. I used an ace bandage lol.. Now I use them to scare children on halloween :D

Bright Blessings
    sh

5. Gerald

Gerald Member

I would like to briefly outline the history of social nudity as it relates to the Hippy movement and its modern day equivalent, the Rainbow Family. The freedom to be naked was a key demand of the counter-culture movement. For many radicalised youth nudity was an easy way to reject the values of materialism. For others it was simply fun and cool and stripped away barriers to personal inter-action. The notion was not really new and came from the Bohemian Movement in California whose supporters lived a naked life as much as it were possible and before that from the FKK movement in Germany. The concept was expressed as "clothes optional". This was a transitional way of making the point, that nudity was permitted. The problem with making the matter optional, is that in theory, it is possible that no one could take up the option and festivals and so forth would no longer have nudity, without any proper decision being made either way. The other aspect of "clothes optional" related to the fact that there were times you wore your clothes. With the Rainbow Family nudity is more spiritual and is about personally identifying with the natural world. After all there is nothing more natural than nudity. But a Rainbow Gathering without nudity is not a Rainbow gathering. This question is central. The points made above concerning the "clothes optional" nature of Hippy nudity also applies to Rainbow nudity. One way of dealing with the problem of brothers and sisters not exercising the option is for a number of brothers and sisters to resolve to take a lead at the appropriate time, such as with the Circles. In New Zealand with the alternative festivals of the 1970 and 1980s, which were inspired by the Rainbow Family Gatherings in the US, those organising the event made sure they took a lead and were from time to time naked themselves. They also sought to encourage casual nudity by showing nudity in publicity photographs. Interesting it would appear that the pictures showing nudity are of themselves. Gerald.

6. ID10T

ID10T Member

Thanks for pointing this "Fact" out. So many showup taught shame and really freak out. Guess Ocala really is a Gathering as so many of us go nekkid even on chilly nights we wouldnt normally. I have only had good remarks on my 55 year old Flower in Ocala......

PR

From Florida Family:

http://ohhotrod.tripod.com/cf.htm

EVOLVE YOUR MIND IN '09 - This simply means "Pitch In". If you need Ocala, Ocala needs you. A good way to learn OR teach is by "pitching In". RESPECT - RESPECT - RESPECT is the need we are starting with this year. Respect your Fellow Camper, their Camps, their beliefs. We are many different religions & lifestyles. Nudity IS an accepted lifestyle & is at the Gathering. If you were taught SHAME and not RESPECT, This might not be the event for you yet.

7. zencoyote

zencoyote Member

I respectfully disagree....
    If you were taught shame PLEASE COME (WELCOME HOME!!!) and witness a different way. Shame is unnecessary when all are respected. See for yourself.

Zen

8. Gerald

Gerald Member

It does seem to me that the term "clothing optional" meaning nudity is allowed is confusing and perhaps the Family's position on nudity should be made clearer, and along the lines of Florida family's wording, that is expect nudity at Rainbow Gatherings. Nudity is not really an option in the the way the word is generally used today, that is you can opt out if you like and leave it for someone else, just as you don't opt out of contributing to the magic hat. The only option is that nudity is not expected all the time so you can wear clothes then. Wearing clothes in situations where nudity is inappropriate is common sense, such when food is being prepared or in cold and wet conditions. The "back to the land" "alternative lifestyle movement" really took of in New Zealand after the first Rainbow Gatherings in the USA. The alternative festivals of the time, organised by "alternative lifestylers" were not Rainbow, but were very similar. Nudity was encouraged and many young people attending the festivals and gatherings of the era participated at some point. Nambassa in 1979 apparently has a world record for the greatest number of participants naked at this type of festival (5,000 out of 70,000-100,000 est.). The New Zealand Family (formally Rainbow) has held 8 gatherings since 1998. The most recent was held in November-December 2007 in the Golden Bay. Gatherings are small. In 2006 an attempt was made to set up an alternative Rainbow event at Para Para, at the SoNNos retreat, also in the Golden Bay. This event was attended to about 25 people. The main circle, after discussion, was conducted with all naked because it became apparent at first that every body was going to opt out. The pictures are from the 2008 Wyoming Gathering. Gerald.

9. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

Just don't hang yer stuff over the stew pot!

10. shameless_heifer

never fry bacon with your shirt off ;)

11. zencoyote

zencoyote Member

HOLY BLISTERED BOOBIES, BATMAN!!!

12. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Senior Member

i think u should just get naked and walk around and see what comes of it.

13. WanderingturnupII

You first....

14. shameless_heifer

15. Mycelium

Mycelium Member

If you decide to paint yer nekid body, remember to put the sunscreen on FIRST! We tried it the other way around and still have the designs we painted sun-batiked on our bodies.

16. rainbowgeek

rainbowgeek Member

Whoa, skipped most of the thread, but I'll tell you that while some people may be creeped out by nudity, it's RARELY when it's a cute sister, though most have at least some attempt not to judge on gender or appearance, we mostly come from a culture that is uncomfortable with our bodies.

And some kitchen focalizers get on about cooking with no pants, but I tell you lots more little hairs fall off my beard than my crotch, I don't frown on naked cooking, though I don't recommend frying without pants on for safety. ;)

Love and Light,
    Joshua

17. WanderingturnupII

I'd go naked more, but I need pockets. LOTS of pockets!

18. zencoyote

zencoyote Member

And what does it have in it's pocketses???

19. shameless_heifer

:smilielol5::rofl:

PICs plz

20. shameless_heifer

That's where he keeps his turnip seeds :D