Nudity and families

Discussion in 'Bare It! Nudism and Naturism' started by minkajane, May 15, 2006.

1. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This is a very old topic, but one that should be refreshed occasionally for the benefit of all.
    That said, I talk with a really nice lady almost daily. Who, with the help of her husband are raising their 2 teenage children in a wholesome family environment, They are members of a small private family style nudist club in their area. Basically, they surround themselves with like minded families. She tells me they help each other and it gives the children others to be with.
    As most nudist are friendly and respectful of textile people, Unfortunately nudist get a bad wrap from society. My wife and I feel that way daily around our clothed friends. They avoid the subject and make small jokes about it.
    My wife and I are now AANR members here in the states and are slowly making nude friends without any sexual intent.

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

thread lacks nudity. :D

3. Scarecrow13

Scarecrow13 Members

Why don't you be the first to remedy that?

4. tourguidewv

tourguidewv Members

This should help.

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Lol! I'm more modest than that. Nothing more humbling than being naked in front of stangers, eh? :D

6. Pierre Milne

Pierre Milne Members

I want other's opinions concerning step children and nudism? How would I engage this subject with my wife and our 16 year old daughter?

7. CyclingNaturally

CyclingNaturally Members

Haha, yep! Everyone who knows us knows that we sleep naked, change in the middle of a hotel room, and walk around naked after a shower for a short bit. Why does everyone know? Because my kids love telling people; they think it's the funniest story they have ever told. To everyone.

Camp Cook and NudistTed like this.
  8. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

P
    Pierre,
    I’m not the one to answer your question. But, Maybe you should search through your topic here. I sure must have been discussed before.
    I do however understand your concerns. People who combine family seems to do better when the children are younger. You are correct to seek advice.

NudistTed likes this.
  9. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

Have the conversation with your wife first and come to some sort of agrement. Then the two of you sit down and discuss it with your daughter.

NudistTed likes this.
  10. bo130

bo130 Member

Jane I don't know if this will help you at all, but I began nudism as a pre-teen, and I had no problems with the understanding that the lifestyle that I lived at home was not for public consumption. I think you have to make sure that this point is made to your son on at least a semi regular basis. I wouldn't do it in a way that scares him, but I'd let him know that a great deal of people would not be able to process it in a mature way.

NudistTed likes this.
  11. biscuit1024

biscuit1024 Members

I had to make an account to post a reply to this, I’m currently on a bit of a research project to learn as much as I can about the stances on family or home nudity in America specifically. It’s been a bit of a topic of discussion in my family now that me and my siblings are all adults.

A Tldr on me, my family had a super lax stance on nudity. If you’re at home, inside or in the backyard, who cares what you wear. We had a tall fence and trees in front of the bigger windows. I’m the oldest and it was the norm from when I was a very young kid. My parents basically stated that it started in a sense in that they didn’t care when the “we can’t make this stupid kid keep his pants on” went on for too long, because I was only doing it at home. I knew the vague concept of public modesty but at home, I didn’t care.

But it’s not like we were naked all the time, it manifested in a few small ways that collectively were bordering on home nudism. None of us had pajamas, we had optional nightshirts and that was it, and if it wasn’t a school day then generally speaking the nightshirt became a dayshirt as well.
    Nobody was gonna bat an eye if you walk to or from the bathroom nude for whatever reason.
    Getting changed in front of others wasn’t a big deal, taking off whatever you had on when doing laundry, whatever.

Weather and heat in particular were a big one, I lived in the Midwest where it’s usually fine but you have those days where it’s like 100°+ outside and you just don’t want to wear clothes, so we didn’t. We had the pool and no bathing suits. Generally speaking if you were outside you wouldn’t wear anything, because it’s hot or it’s just nice to be in the sun.

We were all raised to not care about nudity, I never viewed it as anything odd until I was maybe 13/14 and talked to a school counselor for other matters and mentioned it. I knew that most families didn’t do that but I never really knew what other people’s general stance was on it. She asked a lot of concerned questions like, was myself or my siblings being abused, did anyone take pictures, what’s the extent of where you will be naked, etc. That was really this breaking moment where I realized “ok, wait a moment, people look down on this”.

Other family members kinda thought it was weird but we still generally followed the guidelines of where it was appropriate, and a cousins house or whatever was not the place, but my parents had been communicative about it and told the other family members what was going on in case it came up and nobody ever mentioned it much.

I hear a lot of this stuff is more common in other places but for a lot of Americans like myself, this idea is incredibly strange. Reading some other forum posts here as well as lots of discussion elsewhere, ehh, most people seem to be grossed out by the concept of seeing your parents or siblings naked.

Funny tidbit to end this, school was not as much of a nightmare as you might think when people learned this about my family. In fact most people were entirely uncaring but I didn’t lose any friends, I did have some that couldn’t come over as often though.
    When we had guests over obviously everyone would put clothes on but there had been many moments where a friend saw my siblings

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Are you table to tldr the tldr?

13. djomalley

djomalley Fanch King

Yikes. This part is scary. Did your parents ever talk to you about the potential for this or did anything negative come from the unnecessary counselor meddling? It’s crazy to me how close minded people can be... About being comfortable in our own bodies! I try my damndest to make sure that my son won’t have the body issues that I had when I was younger.

Pierre Milne and NudistTed like this.
  14. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

When I started to see my current ( long term girlfriend/partner ) I stated right off the start that I was a nudist. I knew at the time that she had two daughters. When we moved into together I showed some constraint on nudity. But our hot tub was clothes free. The first time that her youngest ( just turned 19 ) daughter saw us in the hot tub it was a non issue. Over a few years time it was common for her to see me sunbathing or using the hot tub. We have our hot tub in a screened in deck area. And her daughter and her friends like to hang out there when they are at the house. On a number of occasions I was in the hot tub when she showed up with friends. She knew that I was using it nude. like normally. But it never offended her and she would get a kick out of the fact that if I wanted to get out I would be tolally nude in doing so. With a few of her girl friends it became a non-issue. They would expect it if I happened to be in the hot tub when they showed up. I know that they used the hot tub in the same matter ( of undress ) but would only do it when it was just them there.
    So my suggestion is to talk with your wife about it. And get her feelings on it. Then go from there.

Mobius_Stripped and NudistTed like this.
  15. biscuit1024

biscuit1024 Members

We were told to generally keep a lid on things, no point in telling people, but that decision was ours to make. We were definitely taught that most families didn’t do this, and to understand that others would probably find it weird. I remember having a conversation every so often about the rules as they changed, when and where it was appropriate and later getting “the talk” as part of that. The guidelines were pretty simple, family was aware, parents of friends we had were made aware even if it wouldn’t be relevant to them, just in case. Most people were ok with it, part of that I think was being near beach communities where everyone knew at least one nude beach family so it wasn’t the most alien of things. But people with authority seemed to really question it.

We didn’t have any issues with the counselor, I still think it was a bit excessive but she was just doing her job. That’s kinda my point though about how weird this is in the US, I mention I play videogames naked in the living room and there’s a small uproar. That was all sorted.

I did have a neighbor who pried once and called CPS, that was fun. I was in the backyard when I was 10 and was burning to death in the sun, so I was wearing a visor and flip flops in true ultimate style going about cutting the flower boxes and edges of the fence with a pair of gardening shears. This woman came walking up the alley, popped her head over the fence and went
    “Hey kid, go put some pants on!”
    ???
    “Where are your parents?”
    Inside
    “Do they know you’re out here naked?”
    Yes

And then she just left, a day later CPS shows up, along with a family friend who’s a cop, they were chill as well and nothing came of it besides a required short questionnaire with each of my siblings individually but everything was fine as expected. We got shitty looks from that woman for years.

I mean she had no excuse to pry. It’s an eight foot fence, with ivy and hedges, no visible gaps, trees and all the buildings were one story. So she had to have wandered down the alley just to be a weirdo and pop her head over peoples fences, that I won’t ever understand.

16. Steveh

Steveh Members

Our hot tub is clothes free too. They know it and don' mind at all. They have been nude in it also

NudistTed likes this.
  17. Emmet78

Emmet78 Members

It will happen eventually, I just got my own into it.
    Nothing personal, but a grown man calling themself 'whorelord883' and talking about their girlfriend's daughter complementing their penis sounds off.

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

he didn't say she complimented it, just commented. realistically, she probably said something like "put that nasty thing away you gross old man."

actually really realistically, whorelord probably lives in his mom's basement and it's his mom who has to tell him to put the nasty thing away.

19. barefootPatrick

barefootPatrick Members

She was definitely the neighborhood busy body. Couldn’t keep her nose in her own place.

NudistTed likes this.
  20. GamerGirl99

GamerGirl99 Banned

My family is a bunch of prudes, so I have to keep nudity in my room or when they are gone.

bill697cu and Straight Up like this.