NRA vs Yeti coolers

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unfocusedanakin, Apr 24, 2018.

1. deleted

deleted Visitor

my weed must be so damn loud, I dont even know what this yeti shit is about..

[​IMG]

machinist, Deidre and Aerianne like this.
  2. Joboo6

Joboo6 Members

Go ahead and waste your money, how silly. I could give two shits about who these yeti folks support or do not. You're spending 400 bucks to save a two dollar bag of ice. Jezzzus Christ. You really seems smarter..

3. Joboo6

Joboo6 Members

Seems
    seems? No who looks stupid.

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

reminds me of folks driving 20miles to save 10cents on gasoline.

5. Joboo6

Joboo6 Members

See, I did it again. I need a proof reader. You know I love you.

6. Joboo6

Joboo6 Members

Okay we're growing farther apart.

7. OrleansWordsmith

OrleansWordsmith Moderate anarchist

I read the NRA's letter to Yeti and the Yeti letter to the NRA. There was no mention about anyone being a terrorist or the NRA being a terrorist organization. I don't know where any of that is from. Yeti, it appears, has deleted a corporate discount to several other organizations it has supplied. There is some traction to the fact that Yeti doesn't like some NRA policies, but it refused to give any details concerning the NRA or concerning the "other" groups to the news media. And it refused to fill NRA backorders. This is the only "cutoff" it's performed against the NRA. I suppose it has done the same to the other groups it's severing ties with. But the NRA is very vocal, powerful and angry and seems out for vengeance. It seems small of the NRA to try to ruin a company because of their loss of a discount, but several large organizations have distanced themselves from the NRA and discontinued similar programs. I have no problem with capatilism as long as capatalists who are making lots of money share some of their wealth. If Yeti doesn't do that, shame on them. But the NRA's throwing a fit over losing a discount or being disagreed with on the issues they support brings shame on them.

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  8. Joboo6

Joboo6 Members

My point is from a marketing point of view, I believe yeti is cutting off its nose to spite it's face. A poor business decision. That is why I believe corporate America should just stay out of politics, it's just bad business.
    Yeti is manufactured in the same Chinese plant as Ozark and others that compete with yeti. Yeti is the Harley Davidson of coolers, not meaning it's the best it's just that people want to be seen toting a yeti or driving a Harley. It's no more than a status symbol. I find it ironic that liberals are defending a company like yeti that makes ridiculous profits off of such a unnecessary product just because they are subscribing to their narrative.
    When in the hell did anyone ever see people putting bumper stickers on their vehicle promoting their choice of cooler? WTH? I wish I could come up with a product that people would advertise on their cars. It's sad to me that people have become so full of themselves that they want to show everyone that they have the best cooler ever. Please!

Aerianne likes this.
  9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I guess I cant speak for all liberals but I for one am not defending Yeti, I am merely ridiculing people who were dumb enough to pay $500 for a cooler only to destroy it later. Over something that really has nothing to do with the NRA as several other organizations also had their discounts discontinued too, but the NRA is the only one throwing a tantrum over it

Its pretty amusing!

10. Joboo6

Joboo6 Members

You see though, ridicule only makes matters worse.

11. OrleansWordsmith

You know I see what you mean about Yeti getting themselves in trouble. You don't think they thought long and hard before doing their disconnect with the NRA? If they're actually these other firms cut off from Yeti, we sure haven't heard them crying to the heavens.about how they've been wronged and will never use Yeti products again. I'm not defending Yeti out of some love for them. I think the NRA's actions are mean spirited. I don't know that they ARE the best cooler. They're supposed to be good and they're pricey so they are also status symbols. I haven't checked consumer reports to see who they think makes the best coolers, but I will. However, corporations are made up of people. And a corporations can stand for something, or just do business and not be concerned with anyone they do business with. That's rather heartless. And what you're saying is, because they are so overpriced, maybe they should be shot down. I can feel ya. Look I pulled off the logo from the car dealership I bought my car from. I wasn't going to give them free advertising after I paid 9000 for my used corolla. Wouldn't do it for yeti either. Even if I could afford one. See ya when I do!

12. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

Actually if someone wanted to truly boycott Yeti and at the same time get rid of a Yeti that they had already paid for, the best thing they could do would be to sell it on eBay.

If the market were flooded with used Yetis, far fewer people would buy new Yetis.

And they could put the money that they made from selling it on eBay towards buying a new cooler from one of Yeti's competitors.

13. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

Why should we patronize businesses who support violating our civil rights?

I do recognize that there are claims that Yeti wasn't trying to dis the NRA. The question of whether they have or haven't is a bit murky at the moment. And since I'm not shopping for a cooler right now (much less an overpriced status symbol cooler), I'm not devoting a lot of energy to figuring it out.

But for those cases where a company takes a definite stance in favor of violating our civil rights, why shouldn't we go spend our money someplace else?

Am I mean spirited for no longer staying at a Best Western Plus when I travel?

Am I mean spirited for dumping Symantec and moving to someone else for my internet security suite?

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

you spend too much time researching the political views of corporations.

i don't even know all my friends' political views, let alone every random business in the nation.

Orison likes this.
  15. OrleansWordsmith

No one's civil rights have been violated! Yeti has the right to refuse to offer a discount to any group that it doesn't want to offer said discount to. Discounts are NOT a CIVIL RIGHT. They are perks that some groups get and some groups don't for whatever reasons. They are not written in stone or in perpetuity.

I would not write off Best Western because it no longer offered me AAA discounts if there were no other hotels close enough to serve me with similar rates. My AAA discount is not a CIVIL RIGHT! No DISCOUNT is! Choosing to not buy Yeti, or use Best Westerns or Symantec because without the discounts formerly offered they are no longer affordable seems a wise choice. But I never heard a thing about the NRA berating Best Western and Symantec. I heard an airline cut NRA discounts. Never heard the name.

It's this civil rights stuff that is outlandish. Yep, it's a constitutional right to keep and bear arms. Not offering a discount to an organization that defends the Second Amendment in its particular way is not violating the Second Amendmenti. That is incredibly fuzzy logic. And the NRA has a lot of other agenda and political causes it supports that as a hunter and gun owner and citizen I do not support.

You're talking about the NRA feeling it has a right to corporate perks and it's going to run down any firm that takes away their perks. This doesn't involve any inkling of civil rights. Civil Rights are defined as the rights of citizens to "political and social freedom and equality." The NRA is entirely uncivil in this matter. I have no stake in defending Yeti. But this caterwauling is about a group discount being lost! To equate that to a loss of civil rights is a joke and an insult to millions who didn't have civil rights, had theirs violated or those still struggling for parity in this country.

MeAgain and GLENGLEN like this.
  16. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

I never said that when someone says "I think the Second Amendment should be violated" that they are violating the Second Amendment.

But they are clearly advocating the violation of the Second Amendment, even if they are not violating it themselves.

All the NRA does is defend our civil rights.

That is incorrect. These perks are being withdrawn because the NRA defends civil rights and these companies think that our civil rights should be violated.

No one cares about the discounts. We never used them. We never even knew about them.

The only thing we care about is the fact that these companies advocate violating our rights.

17. Kerri

Kerri Members

First of all what company you care about and don’t care about has no impact on wether it’s wasting my money. Second of all, it’s not the ice I’m saving. its worth my money to contribute to gettIng the fringe cult terrorist NRAs blood money out of american politIcs and supporting companies that I think are doing the right thing. I couldn’t care less what your assessment of that decision is or why you think it’s your role to make that determination

18. OrleansWordsmith

OK, this is my last attempt to have a logical conversation. It is a GIANT leap from ending an association with an organization that supports Second Amendment rights, to saying or believing that someone removing this association from said organization is ADVOCATING, which would mean actively seeking in a legal or public sphere, destruction of that organization or that organization's defense of the Second Amendment. The perks are being withdrawn because the corporate entities no longer want to be associated with the particular style that the NRA uses to defend the Second Amendment and the NRA's other political agenda. This is a completely different issue. It means, at most, that the company or person chooses not to support the organization's approach to defending these rights. It is not advocating that the organization's PERSONAL, POLITICAL and CIVIL freedoms be taken away! The NRA has the right to exist. It has a right to defend Second Amendment rights as it decides. But Yeti has the right to exist without supporting the NRA! Yeti did not bash the NRA or state that it wanted Second Amendment rights abolished. Notwithstanding, there is no logical connection between tthis association being ended and a push to discontinue the NRA's defense of the Second Amendment.

MeAgain likes this.
  19. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

I keep noticing, like in the OP, leftists starting to use criticisms aimed at others that are defining features of themselves and yet they dont realize it. Pretty amusing. Maybe eventually thehll catch on.

20. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

Yeti had a big presence in the general 2a community. Camping, hunting, fishing, atv... All those rednecks got to keep their beer cold and their killed animals meat cold. Bye bye Yeti.