Nothing has ever travelled at the speed of light especially light

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Oct 27, 2018.

1. egger

egger Member

The following paper gives a brief summary of determining the speed of light from direct frequency and wavelength measurements and researchers at the NBS in the U.S. in the 1970's..

Speed of Light From Direct Frequency and Wavelength Measurements
    Prepared by Donald B. Sullivan

free pdf:

https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/sp958-lide/191-193.pdf

excerpt:

"The measurement methods developed at NBS during this period also led to the development of high-resolution spectroscopic methods utilizing tunable frequency sources in the optical region [7,8]. These techniques produce results with at least 100 times smaller uncertainty than traditional spectroscopy involving wavelength measurement. The lower uncertainty has had impact in areas, such as radio astronomy and investigations of the upper atmosphere, where better determinations of spectral lines have facilitated studies of important molecules in space and in the stratosphere."

[​IMG]

"Winners of the Gold Medal from the Department of Commerce for their measurement of the speed-of-light. Shown left to right in front are Ken Evenson (project leader), Bruce Danielson and Gordon Day and in back left to right are Dick Barger, John Hall, Russ Petersen, and Joe Wells."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  2. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

However, there is this one girl at college, and I swear, she just can't quit talking....

3. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

Ok, so this post got me to thinking how important and critical it is to measure the speed of light, so I conducted my own experiments over a period of several nights. I think I came up with some pretty good measurements, but let me know if you think I should publish the results...

Here is what I used for the experiment

2 LED flashlights
    1 yardstick
    1 20-year old lab assistant, 120 pounds, C cup, long brown hair, green eyes.
    2 mirrors
    1 cabin in the mountains
    1 video camera

My very precise measurments are as follows:

First night:
    Speed of light = 4.523 gin tonics/10.2116 minutes

The second night we decided to go deeper, producing the following measurements:

Speed of light = 4 caps psillocybin mushroom/10 minutes

DMT + 8 caps psillocybin mushroom = 5328.4005532102206546110000023200000000001

Now this is very critical, the rest mass of light is always zero, whether light is moving or not, so the mass of the condom is always equal to zero, whether it is there or not, but this creates a problem because at the mundane level of classic Newtonian physics, a condom of mass greater than zero has physical substance which light does not, so it is important that a condom = 0

There have been several follow up results to this experiment---

(1 cabin/1 video camera)4 days + 0 condom + 1 wife = 1 full length mink coat

Note to self: Always keep the video camera focused on the stupid experiment and never take it into the bedroom.

Time is a critical element to the experiment and depending on how we measure it, different results come into play:

For example, we get this measurement in T + 1.5 months:

(Speed of light)(0 condom) + (1 lab assistant)/1 dead rabbit = 1 new phone number

GLENGLEN likes this.
  4. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Light quantum tunnels in under two attoseconds, expresses particle-wave duality, and photons have neither a clear spatial nor personal identity. Find something else to measure them with, because photons experience isomorphic space-time and have no known independent identity of their own. Quantum Field theory implies they are made of vortices in space-time, but Field Theory doesn't even express the correct temperature for space-time and is obviously fundamentally flawed, while nobody knows what the fuck space-time are either. The evidence to date is that classical physics are wrong, wrong, wrong in every way imaginable including Relativity containing the glaring Simultaneity Paradox and using the same mathematics as thermodynamics.

In other words, unless you can tell me what the fuck photons are or what the fuck space-time is, you are merely blowing it out your ass. The evidence to date clearly shows time can even be measured flowing backwards on macroscopic scales, using a micro sized polystyrene bead suspended in optical tweezers. Get a grip, and either prove something or admit you are merely throwing around words that contradict modern physics. All the evidence is space-time is hyperuniform and obeys a complex multidimensional multifractal that expresses a recursion in the principle of identity.

Modern physics is full of more hot air than all the politicians in the world combined and, as a result, theoretical physics has not made significant progress in over 40 years.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  5. wooleeheron

White noise envelopes the roaring silence.

Mike Literous likes this.
  6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

This thread went full looney tunes

Mike Literous, Logan 5 and GLENGLEN like this.
  7. egger

egger Member

Analysis of fast radio bursts place an upper limit on possible photon rest mass. Measurements circa 2017 indicate a maxmum photon mass on the order of 10^-50 kg.

FRB 121102 casts new light on the photon mass
    Luca Bonetti, John EllisdeNikolaos, E.Mavromatos, Alexander S.Sakharov, Edward K.Sarkisyan-Grinbaum, Alessandro D.A.M.Spallicci.

FRB 121102 casts new light on the photon mass - ScienceDirect

free pdf:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...317301922/pdfft?isDTMRedir=true&download=true

excerpt:

"Assuming that the photon mass contribution to the total DM of FRB 121102 lies within the range allowed for the residual DM, after subtraction of the Milky Way and IGM contributions and taking their uncertainties into account, we find m < 2,2 x 10^-14 eVc^-2 (3.9 x 10^-50 kg). This limit is similar to, though slightly weaker than, that obtained from similar considerations of FRB 150418 [11], [12], whose redshift is now contested, as discussed earlier [21]."

8. wooleeheron

All the mathematics indicate photons experience isomorphic space-time, making no distinctions between past, present, and future. For an object to have mass, energy, and information it must be capable of being distinguished somehow. Photons are not energy, photons convey energy with perfect fidelity, and the more humble anything becomes the more efficient at conveying any mass, energy, and information. For all practical purposes, we can say photons don't exist, and all we have is energy and information traveling at the speed of light without mass and expressing particle-wave duality.

Mountain Valley Wolf likes this.
  9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

1. Its from the University of Orlean, which is a big red flag to start off.

2. Look how they convert eV into kgs, by just assuming finite values of the constants in the field equations, then try to claim 10 to the -50 is going to be accurate. No discussion on the accuracy, you wont find the complete paper because it never existed in the first place

Guys like this pump this shit out all the time, because they know the people that manage their funding arent going to have a clue what is about. A self proclaimed break through is not a breakthrough, there are 10s of thousands of useless papers like this.

It should be self evident, if someone was able to prove a photon has mass and actually give an accurate measurement, the rest of the world would pay attention, and it would solve a whole lot of other problems.

Complete garbage just to justify funding

10. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Is anyone, like me, wondering now that @Vanilla Gorilla mentions it, how they are measuring the speed light travels? I don't know if that's what you guys are talking about or not, but that's interesting. That would be difficult to measure I would imagine. Here's what I found when I googled around: How is the speed of light measured?

11. wooleeheron

Light can only be measured using Relativity and quantum mechanics, which are equally accurate and precise to 14 decimal places, or the limits of our measurements, and which contradict each other. General Relativity turns out to express the same mathematics as thermodynamics and is better for measuring the largest scales, but it only describes gravity and contains the glaring Simultaneity Paradox indicating it must be formulated quantum mechanically. Relativity treats motion as a horizon effect, an illusion that change is occurring when the universe is possibly fated, while quantum mechanics can treat the universe as paradoxical and metaphorical, simultaneously random and fated, making motion context dependent on the observer.

soulcompromise likes this.
  12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Facepalm

Dude, you are just littering this thread with garbage that is merely prose

13. soulcompromise

holy shit! :)

14. soulcompromise

That's some complicated stuff @wooleeheron is spouting there. I don't know the first thing about science. As an aside, I am personally embarking on a journey into science; beginning with biology and possibly ending with forensic science (anthropology). I hope to learn some of what you guys seem to know.

But anyway, when I read the little bit of the answer to my query about the speed of light I have to admit it crossed my mind that it wasn't exactly being explained directly, such that it wasn't particularly understandable for me. And I think I'm fairly intelligent. So, I don't know I guess the measurement of light in terms of the speed at which it travels is still fuzzy. I feel like light is sort of less tangible (i don't think that's the right term) than say a rock or something. :) So I am trying to figure out how I would gauge the speed at which it moves...

It moves? lol

15. soulcompromise

16. wooleeheron

According to Relativity, its impossible to even create a perfect clock with which to measure the speed of light, while quantum mechanics suggests perfection is for those who lack a sense of humor.

soulcompromise likes this.
  17. *rolls eyes*

18. egger

egger Member

Shao and Zhang present a statistical analysis of empirical dispersion measures of fast radio bursts (FRB). Results show a limitation of photon mass of about 10^-50 kg.

The paper summarizes a variety of empirical techniques that are used to constrain photon mass.

free pdf:

www.physics.unlv.edu/~bzhang/sz17-PRD.pdf

A Bayesian Framework to Constrain the Photon Mass with a Catalog of Fast Radio Bursts

Lijing Shao1, and Bing Zhang2,3,4
    1 Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute), Am M¨uhlenberg 1, Potsdam D-14476, Germany
    2 Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada 89154, USA
    3 Kavli Institute for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China
    4 Department of Astronomy, School of Physics, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China
    (Received 4 May 2017; published 19 June 2017)
    DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevD.95.123010

excerpt:

"The special relativity postulates the “constancy of light speed” as a fundamental principle in physics [1]. It is extended into the general relativity and quantum field theories. In quantum mechanics, the particle-wave duality translates the constancy of light speed into the “masslessness of photons” [2]. Nevertheless, there exist theories with massive photons. The Maxwell-de Broglie-Proca theory is a famous example where photons obtain mass in the cost of the gauge invariance [3,4]. Another example where “effectively massive photons” arise due to a possible oscillation between the canonical U(1) photons and hypothetical U'(1) “photons” [5]. Despite the celebrated success of the postulate, these scenarios are interesting and worthy to investigate, whereas the ultimate word on the photon mass is rooted in empirical facts.

Great efforts were put to various kinds of experiment to push the empirical boundary on the “masslessness of photons” [6,7]. These tests start from early experiments in testing the r^−2 Coulomb law [8], to Schumann resonance in cavity [9], gravitational deflection of electromagnetic waves [10], mechanical stability of magnetized gas in galaxies [11], Jupiter’s magnetic field [12], toroid Cavendish balance [13,14], magneto-hydrodynamics of the solar wind [15,16], black hole bombs [17], and spindown of a white-dwarf pulsar [18]. These tests involve the anomalous dynamics introduced by the mass term of photons, while there exist cleaner tests which only involve the anomalous kinematics introduced by the mass [19–22], thus independent of the underlying massive photon theory. The latter kind of tests use the propagation of photons through a cosmological distance, and examine the time delay between photons with different energies. In this paper we will study the empirical mass constraint on the photon mass from the propagation of electromagnetic waves of fast radio bursts (FRBs) [23–25]."

"A hypothetical photon mass, m, gives an energy-dependent light speed in a Lorentz-invariant theory. Such a modification causes an additional time delay between photons of different energies when they travel through a
    fixed distance. Fast radio bursts (FRBs), with their short time duration and cosmological propagation distance, are excellent astrophysical objects to constrain m"

19. wooleeheron

This is along the same lines as the particle accelerators smashing particles together, and tell you nothing except that relativity is roughly as accurate as quantum mechanics are precise, despite both theories containing glaring contradictions.

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape