Nothing as good as Harry Potter.

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by PaiGe 4 2 0, Oct 31, 2008.

1. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

:rofl:

2. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

3. walsh

walsh Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moles trump Potter any day

4. Chapter13

Chapter13 Member

neil gaiman is god :D

phillip pullman, cs lewis, david gemmel,jrr tolkien,terry pratchett, David Eddings, raymond e feist, robert jordan..... multitude of writers out there do (or did) the same genre but much better than rowling...

happy reading :)

5. floyden

floyden Member

6. Alva

Alva Member

Try The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan, loved reading those books.

7. Lothloz

Lothloz Member

Try the sword of truth series by Terry Goodkind! Amazing! I'm a massive HP fan and these are even better! The first one is called Wizards first rule, there's quite a few in the series so should keep you occupied, for a while at least!

8. dazedgatsby

dazedgatsby shitheel

Try this....

http://www.o-love.net/realms/head_moo.html

The covers shown on that website are the original copies of the books (which I proudly own) but you can still get the new copies.

WAYYY better than Lord of the Rings..

9. RobynCB90

RobynCB90 Member

Awe... I was going to recommend this. I was reading the whole thread hoping no one will have mentioned it already. :p

These books are amazing. Full of fantasy, philosophy, and FULLY-DEVELOPED and VERY interesting characters. Each character is unique (which I don't find to be the case with a lot of Steven Kind novels).

SOT series, FTW!

10. Lothloz

Lothloz Member

I did exactly the same thing! I was so excited!

11. Mr. Frankenstein

Mr. Frankenstein Malice...in Sunderland

Has no-one here heard of Terry Pratchett :confused:

Try his Discworld novels... all the fantasy you want [magicians, trolls, dwarfs, vampires, etc] strained through some dark humour, with a twist of cynicism.

Also Tanith Lee has written some good fantasy/horror stuff.

12. VictorBlack

VictorBlack Guest

Absolutely, go for Terry Pratchett, but only if you don't value your ribs, because once you start reading you will not stop laughing for a very long time!

My favorite was "Reaper Man"

13. jessej

jessej Member

If you Love to read the Fantasy books than THE HEROES BY JOE ABERCROMBIE this is the great book which I read apart from the Harry Potter must read...

14. vinster

vinster penis wrinkle

Anything by JRR Tolkien is far superior to Harry Potter

15. windy

windy Member

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but A Series of Unfortunate Events/Lemony Snicket might interest you.

16. River 1509

River 1509 Member

Lord of the Rings.

17. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman

18. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

You might want to try "Merlin's Ring" by H. Warner Munn. This is out of print but Amazon has used copies for pennies plus 3.99 postage.

If you like Arthurian Legend you could look into Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy:
    Crystal Cave
    Hollow Hills
    Last Enchantment

Years after she wrote this series she wrote a fourth book called "Wicked Day"

The Stewart books are still in print.

:book::book::book:

19. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bartimaeus-Trilogy-Jonathan-Stroud/dp/1423136829/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344286885&sr=1-3"]The Bartimaeus Trilogy: Amazon.co.uk: Jonathan Stroud: Books

fucking THIS

i was reading this around the same time as i was reading the harry potter series, loved it.

essentially we're in an alternate victorian london divided between the proletariat and the slightly wealthier middle classes who work for the government in various positions of power and maintain their power because, unlike the proles, they are able to perform "magic". In reality, all they are able to do is summon demons (invisible to the naked eye) to perform their bidding for them.

book is divided chapter by chapter between a kid, nathaniel, who is taken from his parents and put into the care of a junior minister to become an apprentice magician (essentially preparing him to be a civil servant) but he's an ambitious little bastard and performs his own experiments without his masters knowledge, summoning a lesser djinn on his own. The chapters alternate between the kid and the Djinn (whose really funny, bitter, sarcastic and resentful at being summoned.) the demons hate the magicians and constantly look for ways to break the bonds of their service and kill them, which makes for a nice dynamic.

i really got into this, mainly because in most harry potter-esque fantasy fiction, the main character is a young orphan boy who's just really bland and mildly pleasant. Nathaniel is a complete little shit.

also:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mortal-Engines-Mr-Philip-Reeve/dp/0435130536/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344287063&sr=1-2"]Mortal Engines: Amazon.co.uk: Mr Philip Reeve: Books

this is just absolutely bloody excellent. again, a bit more moral ambiguity than you'll find in the Potter's. if you liked his dark materials, you'll probably get into it. ( i much preferred this to Pullman.)

20. herne

herne Member

I started rereading hp yesterday