'nother soild food question

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by barefoot_kirstyn, Jun 6, 2006.

1. stephaniesomewhere

stephaniesomewhere Member

my daughter still has problems with tomato, she loves it and would eat those little grape ones by the punnetful...in fact I have let her once but she ended up with a nasty burny rash round her mouth so they are off the list. The same thing happened when she tried tomato when she was younger...silly little tasty red things!!

:rolleyes:
    totally agree with the if you don't like it thing too, I don't eat meat and haven't tried to make her not eat it. She likes it but she also likes tofu and other stuff. I figure there's loads of foods in the world I don't eat and I don't want to limit her from the start. that being siad she didn't eat my beautiful spaghetti bolognaise tonight
    :rolleyes:

2. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

What boogiemama said about the tomato, citrus and melon (boogie, I think we are a tag team ;) ) Cruciferous vegetables are anything in the cabbage family. Cabbage, Califlower, broccoli, mustard greens, mustard, brussel sprouts ect. They have a LOT of sulfur in them (thus part of the "farty smell" and they have really difficult to break down sugars called "polysaccarides" which also add to the gas and "fart factor."

And HSM mentioned honey as well, absolutely, Honey often contains a form of botulism which adults break down in their bodies but is dangerous for babies. No honey until after a year.

Some people with lots of allergies in their families also avoid wheat and rye until later, too. My oldest was allergic to wheat (luckily, she outgrew it, but she was off of it until she was 7 or 8) so I didn't give my other kids wheat until after a year.

3. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

thanks!
    I knew about the honey, but yeah, not about the citrus and veggies....thanks a ton for the info!