not to hijack threads - my son

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by homeschoolmama, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Advaya

Advaya Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Hi, I don't follow a food elimination diet, my diet is just basic vegan. I can tell you my experiences with aspergers though, as best I can, it's hard to explain.

The way it manifests in me is primarily social, although I have come leaps and bounds with it. I have lots of trouble with eye contact, and I don't know the proper distance to stand near someone. I have HUGE issues with personal space, but not mine, other peoples. I worry too much about offending them or seeming "weird" that I DO seem weird. I often have things to say, but when I try to say them it comes out ALL wrong, and I don't mean in the normal way. I mean, I backtrack and go into stories that aren't related and it goes nowhere and most of the time at the end whoever I am talking to is just staring at me, lost. Yeah, I have anger issues but I don't like to admit it. I don't hit, but I think I could. I remove myself from the situation, but sounds HURT me, so I understand your son's anger about his sister's whistling and stuff. Being in the room where dishes are being done is PAINFUL. I can't deal with it. On that same note, sometimes if people say things in a certain tone of voice or prounounce something a certain way it feels good. I mean, physically feels good almost in a sensual way.

One thing I feel is super important to stress is that I did not finish high school but rather dropped out in 8th grade and self studied but never truely graduated although I am now in school for midwifery. I wish people had understood things that were wrong with me back then. It would have made my life a lot easier. I don't think I am learning disabled, I think I learn differently. I was excellant at writing and reading (I can speed read, although I was never taught) but math was impossible to me, and related courses. Science and stuff was hard because I couldn't see atoms, I can't visualize things I don't see. I need things broken down more starting from where they are that I can see.

Another thing on the educational topic... I don't think public schools are equipted to deal with us. At least not most. Homeschooling is an excellant way to go, because then the child can learn social skills in an environment that wont' make themfeel like shit and mocked. Social outings with parents and siblings are much better. Plus, aspies have interests! Oh yes we do, even if it's something reallllllly strange we will be obsessed with it(for at least a while) if we are free to develop that interest we will meet other people (maybe, haha) with that interest and that helps with social development too.

There are good things to this though, when you take away the tantrum and the isolation it can bring. Sometimes being super sensitive is good, if the sensations are good. I don't know if people outside of this can have the elation I feel sometimes over just words.

2. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Thanks everyone :)

DS is doing much better lately. We're still working out some of cross-contamination issues with the GF diet but he's been able to concentrate better & longer, and sleep through the night since the beginning. And there are less meltdowns now... something like 1-2 per month instead of several per week.

We have finally crossed the horrible long-division hurdle, and are nearly through the mathematical "basics." I can't wait until we've crossed them all. I need him to LEARN them all, but once they're mastered I can hand him a calculator & he'll be just fine.

Advaya - my son has been interested in biology & ecology for a few years now. We've gotten ahold of people in the Extension office and are getting him involved with the frog mutation studies and monarch butterfly tagging in our area. He does SO much better with adults than with kids his age, and loves helping out with the animals.
    love,
    mom

3. stephaniesomewhere

stephaniesomewhere Member

thats wicked news!

:)
    thanks for the update and it sounds like you have really got things happening for you all!
    :)