Not sure which phone to get

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by la Principessa, Sep 13, 2018.

1. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I used to have an iPod touch and I liked the selection in the app store. But that was years ago and I'm sure they charge for most of their apps now, because I remember back then I could get most apps for free. Aside from that I'm not a fan of Apple. I had to use the Macs in school and I hated them.

I decided to stick to Android after all. It annoys me that the Play store has so many apps that are rip offs of other games but that's a very small problem lol I want a good camera on my phone, and sufficient space, with a good processor. So I found one and I'm happy with it so I'm going with android.

soulcompromise likes this.
  2. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Ooooooooohhhhhhh........

3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I tried to be helpful :(

la Principessa likes this.
  4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I bought a new ZTE Blade of on E-bay for $75. Checking Gmail is handy but otherwise I don't see the big deal with having a smartphone. The phone I had before had excellent reception even without an antenna and could be used to get internet on a laptop. I also had radio and a camera, sound recording a video recording.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

6. #teamsamsung

Irminsul and Orison like this.
  7. Does your tongue hurt
    From biting it:yum::tongueout::tonguewink:

Irminsul likes this.
  8. puggybear

puggybear stars may twinkle-but I shine!

I have a Nokia 3210,bought when I was in Finland in 1999,driving a 44-ton truck,swapping trailers at Salo Nokia factory and heading back to the ferry.
    To this day,it works without fault. Cheap,unfashionable,no gimmicks,no camera...but waterproof,drop-proof,rings loudly & sends/receives texts faultlessly.
    It's 20 years old now-yet the battery is still the original and STILL holds a charge for 3-4 days,depending on use.
    ...let's see any Apple phone better THAT! I'm not for a moment saying it's equal to an iPhone or Samsung of current times,etc.
    I'm just speculating that in 20 years you'll have forgotten you ever owned that expensive 'smartphone' you treasure so much atm.

Umm....[I'm now gonna bugger off and play 'Snake',before the incoming insults reduce me to tears].....

GLENGLEN and Driftrue like this.
  9. deleted

deleted Visitor

samsungisgod.com

10. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I an typing this on a jprime and would never go to an iPhone. The salesman that talked me out of the iPhone 7 years ago saved me a world of aggravation.

11. la Principessa

Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a materialistic person. Unfortunately people who live in this century in the workforce and as a young person as well, we're kind of expected to know how newish tech works. And for school. Sometimes you need to check something on demand when you don't have your computer, or send a file from the cloud, etc.

It's not my fault that they purposely make them shittier quality every year so that we have to replace them constantly. We're aware it's a money making scam, but it's getting harder to do anything without one. I only buy a new one when the one I have is no longer functioning. For a forum of hippies, a lot of you are super judgmental.

12. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

So, maybe I missed it but what did you end up getting?

13. la Principessa

Samsung Galaxy J7 star.

hotwater, Irminsul and shylass365 like this.
  14. puggybear

puggybear stars may twinkle-but I shine!

This sounds ridiculous,but it's TOTALLY true. I mentioned I have/use an original Nokia 3210.
    Today,I was talking with a mate about this very thread and about the dependence on 'smartphones' humans now have.
    Terry laughed,then said-"But you have the world's oldest phone,Puggy. Don't you ever feel like updating it?"
    My reply was "In truth Tezz,I couldn't afford to,they cost almost a grand for a decent one and my 3210 may be old,but it's reliable".
    Terry chuckled,told me to hang on a minute,went up into the upstairs office - and when he came back down,he said "There y'go-you can update your manky old phone!".....and handed me a Nokia 3310! I looked at it,looked at him,said "What's different,Terry?" His answer? "The shape". That's TRUE.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm so happy you went the samsung. :)
    Now we can laugh at those, iPeople :p

16. la Principessa

It's actually a pretty substantial phone. I have one of those wallet phone cases with the flap that closes on the screen so it's secure in there. Besides I usually carry a purse so I don't put it in my pocket and sit on it lol I wear girly stuff most of the time and we know how much designers hate putting functional pockets in womens clothing. Especially seeing as the phones keep getting bigger lol I'm actually glad this phone is a little on the smaller side compared to my last one.

And yeah, I thought about the iPhone for two seconds, but it was only because their apps store has less crap. Or at least it used to. I just think it's easier to have an Android as well because I can always find a charger if I don't have mine on me, and most people aren't insanely rich lol the one I was thinking about getting was a few generations old.

17. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

It seems I like Sony phones. Not flashy but many useful features. But what I miss about the old Nokia phones, before smart phones came online, were the conversion tables. And I struggle with the digital keypads. I have absolutely no yen for the iPhone, but I imagine those that have them would not be separated. And yeah, the limited battery charge life of smartphones is annoying, and this is one feature that could be improved.

18. la Principessa

There are lots of things that could be improved but they will never do it, because then people wouldn't buy a new one every year to make them more money.

Why do you think these past few years they're only making phones now where you can't remove the battery? If it goes bad you have to replace the whole phone instead of buying a new battery on ebay like I used to do lol

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

yeah it's a scam, apple realse a new phone with new chord connections, forces you to buy 100 dollars worth of chargers and earbuds etc.
    it's genius really, because people will do it. one reason i wont do apple, plus they're known to only let their phones last 2 years and forced to upgrade. their system upgrade rig your older phone to not work correctly.

20. la Principessa

Yeah I've heard about that. And especially the charger thing. Like I said before, I can always find an android charger if I don't have mine. If I buy a new one, they have them in literally every pharmacy or corner store. But apple ones cost a lot and you can only get them at the Apple store.