Non-weight strength training

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Jul 15, 2013.

1. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

The opposite applies to women. It's assumed the goal is to get bony.

2. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Personally I've never worried about either one of them- even though I have a lot of upper body strength in the arms and shoulders...even without working out at all I have a lot of muscle and that's why I did so well for so many years in competitive swimming... but anyways yea my goal is just to be "toned".. not too extreme either way.

3. *MAMA*

I'm naturally very strong in my lower body. I have to work really hard for upper body strength. Skinny/bulky makes no difference to me. Working out makes me feel good. Also, regardless of how a person looks, strength is sexy.

4. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yeah, that's the main thing... how you feel. The looks part is always secondary to me.

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm really toned just from doing activities I enjoy. My legs are toned from hiking, my arms from doing things like kayaking. My muscles have a nice lean look from yoga. Occassionally I'll go to a zumba or pilates class and that works my abs but I haven't been in a while so I'm a little soft in the tummy now...but I think that's sexy.

I don't really see a point in going to the gym unless you're really trying to bulk up.

6. *MAMA*

90% of my recreational time is spent hiking, kayaking, swimming, running etc. I love the gym for camaraderie. Plus I dig the sound of clanking weights.

7. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

8. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I used to go to a gym years ago that I loved ... because it had hot tubs and saunas and steam rooms and various pools and juice bars...squash... really good equiptment..etc... it was just a nice place to go... but yea anyways.. my point is that I agree that you don't need to go to a gym if you're doing stuff outdoors that you like but there is more of a point of going to a gym in the winter... or for the pool...

9. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

hahaha....

that guy's just like "uh, yeaaah" "here I am"

10. *MAMA*

Lmao!
    Wouldn't have killed him to tan either. :cool:

11. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

he didn't know where he was on his way to when he left the house. just got thrown in there.

12. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Grappling type martial arts are great for total body workouts and fitness.
    Judo, Jujitsu, wrestling, etc. where you are in actual physical contact with an opponent. It involves every muscle in your body, constant motion, and the development of speed, balance, endurance, and strength.

There are very few bulky grapplers as bulk tends to limit flexibility and concentrating on one muscle group and neglecting another places severe limitations on the ability to defeat an opponent. Every muscle is needed so every muscle must be developed including fingers and toes.

You are also not repeating the same movements constantly but continually adapting to the movements of your opponent, as in dancing. This means that different muscle groups are constantly being called into action and different combinations are always occurring.

Strength is very important but not as much as speed, endurance, balance, knowledge, etc. An opponent of superior strength can usually be defeated by superior knowledge, speed, balance, and endurance.

13. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

Swimming, standup paddleboarding, kayaking, volleyball, yoga, rock climbing, hiking, cycling, sprinting.

I'm built like a gazelle.

14. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

I don't think the gym is necessary at all. Strength exercises that only use body weight combined with a sport or two are enough for a fit and lean look.

No one in our triathlon club does any weight lifting and everybody is fit and strong. Most people train around 8 hours a week.
    The training routine is swimming 3-4 times a week (45 minutes to an hour), running 2-3 times a week and cycling at least 3 hours a week with one day off.

The running mill is good during really bad weather in winter but other than that I don't see the appeal of the gym.

I think a combination of sports is the best for a balanced development. I really like the results of swimming and running or rock-climbing and running :2thumbsup:.

Meagain, cynthy and Meliai: great suggestions.

15. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

Examples, please. I'm having bone problems all over.

Google search: I got broccoli, lime, spinach, carrots, garlic, and peppers. Check?

Of those, the only one I really don't eat enough of is spinach. I want to try it more often. I'll keep an eye out.

16. *MAMA*

17. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Apple Cider Vinegar in water :)