Non fiction book about American history for report

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction Books' started by samluvsthebeatles, Oct 2, 2007.

1. samluvsthebeatles

samluvsthebeatles Member

If you have ever read any really good books, about america history and non fiction, taking place between 1680 and 1865 and you remember the title, please tell me! I have to read a book like this for my American history class in school and i would rather not just go pick one that looks good only to have it be awful and boring and un-readable. If it was really good and historically accurate but fiction, then please post that too because my teacher said that SOME fiction was ok to read (I have to get it approved anyway).

2. SariaMew456

SariaMew456 Member

"1776", by David McCullough

You can guess when it takes place, hehe. But seriously: it's a good book. McCullough always does his research and makes the subject interesting and "real", and doesn't just focus on the big names but also on everyday people.

Of course, I'm a bit of an American Revolution freak; but in all honestly this is a good book, worth checking out.

And if you'd rather do the Civil War, Jeff Shaara's books are good. (You know, "Gods and Generals", "Gettysburg", "Killer Angels"...)

3. Cinmaya

Cinmaya Member

How about A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn? It's the American history that high school curriculum leaves out. It's a hard read and does not romanticize our history, from colonization onward. I couldn't finish it when I read it several years ago, it hurt so bad--take that as you may. :D It's a rather large book, too, but you might only want to read the parts of it that pertain to the time periods you've mentioned. I believe it's chronological, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Here's a link that gives several sample chapters from the book if you want to look a little more closely at it before you make a decision.

Good luck! I do hope you choose this one, as I think it is an important book, one that every American should read at least parts of. Although it's not New York Times mainstream, it is very well-known, so I would be surprised if your history teacher is not familiar with it.

4. samluvsthebeatles

samluvsthebeatles Member

Oh my, our history isn't being romantisized at all at my school lol...it's the worst outlook on american history i have ever been taught with, but i love it.

5. Cinmaya

Cinmaya Member

Hey, all the more reason to check out People's History! ;) :)

6. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

To Die in Chicago: Confederate Prisoners at Camp Douglas 1862-65 by George Levy

You won't find it boring.

7. jnbammer

jnbammer Member

8. waukegan

waukegan Member

bruce catton's civil war trilogy

9. waukegan

waukegan Member

bury my heart at wounded knee.by dee brown.not only a great documentation of a governments seizure of a natives people land and attempt at seizing of their culture but also a vivid description of the land,people,army etc of that time.

10. waukegan

waukegan Member

"leaves of grass" by walt whitman.a book of his poems published between the 1850's to 90's.a frank honest collection about america and visions of america.this is about a year late for you but it's pretty good if you like poetry and history.

11. waukegan

waukegan Member

another good collection of poetry with american history is edgar lee master's "spoon river antholgy"it was published about 1912.it's available online.just type in the title or authors name.