Non-Attachment

Discussion in 'Buddhism' started by TheSamantha, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

In this case "better" means more fully or completely and I'm writing a book on the subject. Its a contextual philosophy that assumes words only have demonstrable meaning in specific contexts, so the more words the more explicit their individual meaning can become. Essentially, a context without any content and vice versa is a demonstrable contradiction explaining why its impossible to achieve absolute zero temperature, a perfect vacuum, or the speed of light as well as why words only have demonstrable meaning in specific contexts.

2. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Sweet, let us know when it's out :D

3. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

It will probably be another six months to a year. Its recursive logic so its difficult to say.

4. MeatyMushroom

There are medicines available that might help with that if you don't indulge already, marijuana and LSD in particular spring to mind when it comes to harmonising the symmetry of an idea. Quality sources of the latter are sadly lacking though :(

5. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

The poetry I write was invented by the same isolated tribes in southern China who first cultivated pot for more than hemp. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Sevens

Sevens Members

One cannot fully detach yourself from everything. But you can detach yourself from things that you worry about right now at moment.

7. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

Uncertainty doesn't teach any such thing - people extrapolate uncertainty way beyond its scope - to quickly summarize - when one observe subatomic quanta the observation method cannot take a snapshot of a particle which is wholly true - that particle can be seen in freeze frame as a particle and when not frozen it propagates as a wave - that is uncertainty - and has no metaphysical importance - it is used by quacks to baffle the metaphysical crowd with bullshit.

8. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Then those "quacks" include John Wheeler and Heisenberg himself who both believed in consensual reality.

9. MeatyMushroom

Results inconclusive.

What it does do is do is give insight into the nature of arising phenomenon, and I mean dude, science at that level covers like all of the physical universe.

Interesting parallel I draw from the tantras are shakti/shiva = wave/particle.

10. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

quotes

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

that's really simple logic, but people don't often think about it that way. not in a dominant culture that wants people to believe they can find gratification in aquisition and excitement.
    the problem is its awfully hard to be useful to someone else without acquiring skills and those often require material tools to use them.
    but expectation being the fertile soil in which disappointment thrives, you'd almost think would be kind of obvious
    (ha!, but then that's expectation too.)

1 person likes this.
  12. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

I have a standing free offer to teach anyone how use a dictionary and search engine, but freely admit that it's impossible to teach someone who already believes they know the facts.

13. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

sorry you feel that way - quantum mechanics is a specific study which is pithy and lends itself to grandiose analogies, yet when such analogies are put into practice it equals staring at ones navel

uncertainty theory from wiki - for those who need to read the whole dictionary because they can't spell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle

"
    In quantum mechanics, the uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, is any of a variety of mathematical inequalities[1] asserting a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties of a particle, known as complementary variables, such as position x and momentum p, can be known.
    Introduced first in 1927, by the German physicist Werner Heisenberg, it states that the more precisely the position of some particle is determined, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa......
    ......Historically, the uncertainty principle has been confused[5][6] with a somewhat similar effect in physics, called the observer effect, which notes that measurements of certain systems cannot be made without affecting the systems, that is, without changing something in a system. Heisenberg offered such an observer effect at the quantum level (see below) as a physical "explanation" of quantum uncertainty.[7] It has since become clear, however, that the uncertainty principle is inherent in the properties of all wave-like systems,[8] and that it arises in quantum mechanics simply due to the matter wave nature of all quantum objects. Thus, the uncertainty principle actually states a fundamental property of quantum systems, and is not a statement about the observational success of current technology...."

carry on in your muddy thought....

14. MeatyMushroom

So perhaps the interplay of true self identification vs movement and direction of ego?

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Buddhists interpret "non-attachment" a bit differently than most non-Buddhists assume.
    The Buddha taught that all things are impermanent; nothing lasts forever. However, we cling to things we love, desperately wanting them to last forever. Things we despise, we resist; desperately afraid that they will last forever. This constant futile struggle of clinging and aversion, demanding that the universe conform to our desires, is what Buddhists call attachment, and consider to be the root of all of our suffering. I can be very emotionally "attached" to my wife (attachment in the Western sense), i.e., love her deeply, yet still accept that she, myself, and our relationship are all fundamentally impermanent (non-attachment in the Buddhist sense).

“You see this goblet? For me this glass is already broken. I enjoy it; I drink out of it. It holds my water admirably, sometimes even reflecting the sun in beautiful patterns. If I should tap it, it has a lovely ring to it. But when I put this glass on the shelf and the wind knocks it over or my elbow brushes it off the table and it falls to the ground and shatters, I say, ‘Of course.’ When I understand that the glass is already broken, every moment with it is precious.”
    Ajahn Chah

tikoo and mysticblu21 like this.