Noah's Ark 2004

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by cerridwen, May 14, 2004.

1. mother_nature's_son

mother_nature's_son Member

Tremendous amounts of water rising from inside the Earth and thus flooding the continents is what creationists (Including Walter Brown) claim...

Not only would this water contain deadly gases, but it would have been very, very hot - the world would not have drowned, it (along with Noah and his floating zoo) would have been steamed.

The earth gets hotter by about 25 degrees C for every kilometer of depth. Brown claiming water came from 10 miles = 16 km down would have been at about 400 degrees C (over 700 F).

Well, first of all, Walt Brown is definitely not a 'real geologist'- he is a mechanical engineer! His own website fails to mention him having any degrees or credentials in geology.

Reflecting Brown's poor qualifications in the geology field, his 'hydroplate theory' can be, and has been, extensively refuted by real, yes real, educated geologists. This is largely a result of Brown basing his theory on misunderstandings of known geologic processes. But hey, the guy isn't even a geologist, what can you expect?
    -3 sites demonstrating this:
    http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/tim_thompson/brown.html
    http://www.geocities.com/pgspears/pflood.htm
    http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jsolum/yec/earthquakes.html

Brown refuses to debate:

http://gondwanaresearch.com/hp/walt_brown.htm

For the record- the Rockies were being pushed up (they are actually stretching now).

The Earth is dividing? What exactly do you mean by that? Continents are dividing? What exactly does Genesis say?

2. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

No, I dont agree with your theory that the water would be as hot as you suggest.

Brown does have the following credentials and since he is an expert on the Earths Geology and is teaching new things to those with 'official' Geology degrees - I think we are cool to describe him as such.

Walt Brown received a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) where he was a National Science Foundation Fellow. He has taught college courses in physics, mathematics, and computer science. Brown is a retired full colonel (Air Force), West Point graduate, and former Army ranger and paratrooper. Assignments during his 21 years in the military included: Director of Benet Research, Development, and Engineering Laboratories in Albany, New York; tenured associate professor at the U.S. Air Force Academy; and Chief of Science and Technology Studies at the Air War College. For much of his life, Walt Brown was an evolutionist, but after many years of study, he became convinced of the scientific validity of creation and a global flood.

BTW, A Mechanical Engineer and expert in Physics is just as qualified to research this field (if not more so) as a 'Geologist'. Thanks.

Brown LOVES debating Scientists who still believe / promote Old-Earth Evolutionism. Generally speaking, Evolutionists get their arses handed back to them in debates with Brown and write big apologetic arguments claiming they were 'Tricked' into losing.
    I suspect he has so many debates scheduled he must turn down dozens.

Thanks for the links criticising Browns theory. I had read them already and see some valid (and many false) critisisms.
    All the same, it remains the 'best we have' so far.

3. mother_nature's_son

mother_nature's_son Member

Would you like to tell me why?

Absolutely not. While Brown's influence can be debated, his qualifications cannot. Brown is not an expert geologist- one would need to actually get a degree in the field by which are they labeled an 'expert'. An advanced degree at that.

Brown is not qualified because he has not extensively studied the intricacies of this field, by which his hydroplate model must, but does not, operate. Brown does not understand the details of geology. His mechanics and physics gives him the concept of 'hydroplates', but earth's geology does not support this.

Brown theorized hydroplates before learning -less than a credentials worth- about geology. His method is backwards.

If you actually read the link, you will see that Brown initially agreed to the debate and then backed out.

Yea, those guys that don't have degrees in the field they are researching sure have the upper hand...

4. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I just thought the Noahs ark story was about 'the body of christ' with all of creation outpouring from him...

Why are people looking for it anyway..its clearly a load of tosh..unless you believe the one about Noah only being able to collect the animals within a day or so of his home...mmmm again tosh.

Just think of the logistics and the scale of the boat required. and the billions of life on this planet.... utter tosh.

5. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

Matthew,
    Your entire post was utter tosh. Please learn about things like 'Science' and 'Reading Scriptures' before posting more tosh.

Thanks

6. Genesis

Genesis Member

he's right you know. i don't.:cool:

7. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

this theory doesnt apply here caus brock isnt a strong a christian as that

anyway umm you skipped over the point again, that water would require many thousands of years to do the work that is claimed here by brock, and according to the creation theory, the water did not take thousands of years to subside, and if it did, then there would be a perfectly linear spread of hydro-erosion and weatehring from the highest peaks of the earth to the lowest.

Stop skipping the points raised.

And stop disputing points wihtout backup, Mr I-dont-agree-with-the-water-temperature-and-i-might-jsut-ignore-the-point-about-the-water-being-toxic-and-hope-they-forget

8. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

StonerBill... Since no one was there at the time, we can only rely on sensible forensics to 'look back' on what the Earth must have been like before and during the World-wide flood.

One thing we do not need to assume is that the waters would take thousands of years to subside.

Certainly a whole lot of water is still here, but locked up in Glaciers and permafrost on both the Poles.

Otherwise, we are looking at most of the earth still underwater. (what is it - 70%?)

We dont really know how long it took for all the water to subside - we do know that enough subsided soon enough for the Ark to rest on Mount Ararat. Its entirely possible that other areas were still flooded.

While it does not say so explicitly - we can safely assume that all kinds of major cataclysms and earth changing events were 'spinning off' the Flood long afterwards.

I dont agree with the temperatures MNSons evolutionists theorisors came up with because I cant see why the Earth would be the same today as it was then.
    In other words.. I would not be wise to assume my Radiator temperature was the same before it ran out of water , as it would be if the water was still in it.

I dont mean to ignore your posts Stonerbill... its just that you are Australian, probably stoned most of the time and probably under the age of 16 - so its hard to take you seriously.

9. JesusDiedForU

JesusDiedForU Banned

Dude.... The flood was an act of God correct? ....He flooded the whole earth.... Know why can't a God that flooded the whole earth then make the water disapear?

The problem here is after the flood you replaced God with science... "Thats not scientifically correct" But God created science.... He is above science. Parting the Red Sea can't be explained by science. But you like to insert science and say that it is not possible according to our abilities.

10. JesusDiedForU

JesusDiedForU Banned

If Noah's ark was discovered would you non-believers... believe?

11. Showtime/Redneck-Bud

Showtime/Redneck-Bud Member

"But God created science.... He is above science."

yer opinion, kid... yer opinion...

12. JesusDiedForU

JesusDiedForU Banned

Showtime,

If Noah's ark was discovered would you believe?

13. Showtime/Redneck-Bud

Hmm... probly... if you could prove without a shadow of the doubt and without using the bible as evidence that it was, in fact, Noah's ark...

14. JesusDiedForU

JesusDiedForU Banned

O.k. like saying the bible sates that the ark was 450 ft long and 75 ft. high ....and that is the measure they found on top of Mt Aarat... you would believe>>?

15. Showtime/Redneck-Bud

mmmm... nah... sorry, but, i don't think that'll convince me...

16. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

maybe way back in the day there was some kind of flood, probably caused by climate changes, but people couldn't figure it out so they assumed that some supposed god did it?
    proving there was a flood in no way proves the existance of a god...

17. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

If the flood was higher than the highest mountains there would not be any people left. They found pilar lava on top of mount Ararat in turky. Pilar lave only forms when a volcanic vent is underwater. They are finding the lava at the 17,000 foot level. That must of been some flood. Only chance of survival would be in an ark.

18. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

IF they can prove that the boat contained two of each animal on teh earth, and wasnt jsut a big boat with a few local animals in it, then yes i would be a believer. The basis of the noahs ark story is that everything alive on tehplanet save marine wildlife came form the boat. simply finding a boat is not enough evidence, for i beleive a lot of things in the bible occured, yet were attibuted to god out of human ignorance to science.

and brock, I am in fact 16, and i havnt been stoned for two weeks *cries*
    but thats beside the point, your a christian your not meant to judge others.

The warmth of the earth on the inside is one of the reasons our earth supports life. if your earth was a cold rock, the earth's climate would be very different. But msot importantly, If you dont think the earth was hot on the inside, then your creationist theory basing on the lava things on mount ararat are flawed. so youd have to choose between which of those to follow.

And jesusdieforme, if you say the thigns you say, then it removes debate of things alltogether, and would mean that anything could be jsutified by god, and thats simply not feasable, it would create chaos in humanity, very uncivilised lifestyles would occur. Technology has got you where you are because poeple have decided to look into the world instead of jsut atrtributing everything to god. Whyd newton investigate gravity? Caus he questioned the science behind the phenomenom, and didnt jsut assume like everyone else that it was jsut god's will so lets not bother with it.

But i agree, all christians who are trully beleivers shouldnt have discussed it up to this point, bcause they are only denouncing their own faith in god by not beleiveing he could jsut 'make it happen'. Isnt that easy too? attributing everything to an omnipotence and answering all our questions by jsut saying its gods will....*rolls eyes*

And i dont see how being australian should mean im worth less thought, australians have been the most scientifically acheiving nation in the world, with respect to population, age, and economy. Overall if you put the range of australian intelligence next to the range of american intelligence, and factored in populations, and demographic spread, youd find that australians kick american ass ;)

19. Soulless||Chaos

why couldn't other people have boats back then? not to mention if it was cause by climate changes, then it wasn't instantaneous, so people could have prepared. or maybe the mountain was lowr but due to movements in the earths crust grew higher afterwards? of course i'm obviously no expert nor do i realy have any idea what im talking about :rolleyes:, but it is possible... at least as much so as the flood being cause by a god.

20. Soulless||Chaos

as they say, ignorance is bliss... :rolleyes: