No recession huh?

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by Higherthanhell, Mar 13, 2008.

1. stev90

stev90 Banned

Haha! I wonder if Acqua posted that funny shit.

Heck, everybody would be eligible for unemployment, even dead Neo-cons would be eligible for unemployment, assuming of course, that dead Neo-cons are allowed to stop working in hell. :jester:

2. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

To be fair to Acqa he has been posting an outline of what he sees as an accurate market indicator. It's not his fault that economists and speculators have been using these stats for years as justification for their unfair monetary practices.

The health of a society and it's economy can no more be projected accurately by statistics alone, than if you went to your doctor and had him diagnose your condition soley based on probability tables alone. He may be right a good deal of the time, but would you trust him to treat your children?

3. gardener

Numbers can be manipulated. You'd think we would have learned that from Enron.

4. acga5

acga5 Senior Member

a 47% increase in unemployment doesn't mean there was 47% + whatever the number already was of unemployment... if you have 8% unemploymentx1.47=11.76%

5. stev90

stev90 Banned

Of course, people can still survive, even monkeys can find a way to survive.

But this is America. If you can find a way to survive on less than 40 cents a day just like they do in China and elsewhere, good luck.

It's survival of the fittest, on the race to the bottom.

6. acga5

acga5 Senior Member

yes I never said it counted people that weren't looking for a job, i specifically said that people who aren't looking for work aren't part of the labor force, thats really a small percentage of people who have given up looking for any work, because that means they must have some source of income or be living with someone else... or they are homeless? nothing is going to be 100% accurate, but this comes as pretty close

7. gardener

I wasn't focussed on the end percentage, I was more interested in the fact that statistics were unavailable for a period of time. Why was that?

8. acga5

acga5 Senior Member

Yes but during an economic downturn or recession a job may be the only thing saving your house or you from living on the streets, most people will be able to hold on

9. acga5

acga5 Senior Member

but the thing is... the only data you have even post comes from the government? where is your outside data source? where is a copy of another survey that points in another direction??

10. gardener

You are very optimistic, especially in this period of increased foreclosures.

11. gardener

Where did your market data come from in 1931? Where does you data come from currently?

12. acga5

acga5 Senior Member

The Depression reached its trough in 1933 with 25.2% of Americans unemployed. This was a drastic rise from the 3.2% unemployment rate in 1929. As a result, there were only 38,052,000 employed Americans in 1933 compared to 46,207,000 in 1929. As unemployment increased, real disposable income fell 25.3% from $150.5 billion in 1929to $112.4 billion in 1933. Your source

13. gardener

But if figures were inaccurate or non-existent during that period, why should they be viewed as empirical?

14. stev90

stev90 Banned

That's true. And during an economic downturn, it doesn't take much to lose one's job, house and end up homeless, especially, if one didn't have much savings. :sniff1:

15. acga5

acga5 Senior Member

how were they inaccurate? do you have more accurate data?

"The critics say that there are more than a million people who, like Holt, want jobs but aren't considered unemployed"

again right from your own source? he assumes there are one million, okay add 0.3% to the unemployment figures...

16. gardener

And one of the big differences between then and now, is that the price of consumer goods fell during the depression. I don't see that happening this time around.

17. gardener

No statistics were available for an entire year, how could they be accurate.

18. acga5

acga5 Senior Member

well, if you look at inflation its not really very high, inflation was more than 2.5x higher in 2001, i didn't see people starving to death durning that recession

19. stev90

stev90 Banned

I don't see how you could have kept an eye and kept tract on each and every person living in this country at that time, to make that statement.

Please provide us information to confirm the validity of this claim and on how you could have done this extraordinary feat.

20. stev90

stev90 Banned

Acqua, is a troll.
    All he does in keep asking questions over and over again, getting people in this forum riled up, including the mod.

I really think, Acqua should be banned.
    Not only has his posts been repeatedly deleted.
    He has been given more than enough FINAL WARNING already.