No recession huh?

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by Higherthanhell, Mar 13, 2008.

1. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

if your talking about me, i am so very sorry about hitting a nerve! i cant disscuss economics, because im not an economist, nor do i understand the principals of it! i come to this thread to listen and learn! but i find that dissent frome the prevailing attitude, or thought, is stifled here! i can walk out my door and see the damage done! better than most! im not defending anyones position, just there right to have one! without being attacked!! in the futere ill save my comments for pms, but that still leavs me with a few posts to answer or reply to in public!

2. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

When people can't afford bottle water, what are they going to measure? Eventually the shell game has to end, or those playing it are just plain stupid. And your example of oil, is exactly why they play the core game.

3. stev90

stev90 Banned

So, if the United States has a mortal stab wound, hemorraghing in dollars, having a blood transfusion of borrowed dollars, is unable to work due to the deep stab wound, yet twisting and jerking causing much "economic activity", you would still call the U.S. economy, better than average.

Yes, the U.S. economy obviously is bigger than say, Mongolia, but I don't give a fuckin' shit about Mongolian economy. This country is where I live and it's where this recession is happening, due to Americans' penchant for living beyond their means and the gross mismanagement of our economy by this government, and therefore, of our children's future.

I think, for most Americans like you, including Bush and the Neo-cons, living in denial, in a fantasy world is the only way to go.

:jester:

Oh, and you to call a Nobel Prize Winner in Economics, Joseph Stigler's comments as "dumb" is just classic mouthing off on your part without the substance to back your words.

What qualifications do you have aside from trolling this forum?

4. Hiptastic

Hiptastic Unhedged

Its funny how many people here are outraged at how "stupid" everyone is who disagrees with them, how they are so smart about knowing what's going on in the economy, how we're in a recession, how gloomy the outlook is.

But when I asked people to make a few predictions, who had the courage to actually do it? acga5. Gardener, FUA, Stev90, Higherthanhell, and Pressed Rat are nowhere to be seen.

If you are so smart then show us. Forecast the horrible depression, dollar collapse, etc etc you are talking about. Put yourself on the line and in a year we'll see who really knew where the country was headed, and who was full of hot air. Surely since acga5 was such an "moron" you are guaranteed to do better than him.

Take two minutes and go here:

http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292560

5. Higherthanhell

Higherthanhell Banned

6. gardener

How will our predictions make anything different? We are uninundated by economic forecasts everyday, and we sit and watch the Fed manipulate the market, and corporate speculators ruin our standard of living. We are told we can buy hamburger instead of steak, that the escalating price of energy and fuel have no impact on our lives. We've lost our employment benefits and protections. And our government sends a check for $600.00 to spend to boost the economy, like that's really going to change anything, but some momentary quarterly predictions.

7. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

who had the courage to actually do it? Me.

8. stev90

stev90 Banned

Another typical whiner thread.
    What useful information did you actually contribute to this thread other than whining and complaining about how you didn't like the way the participants conducted themselves during the discussion.

No shit. You didn't even participate much in the topic at hand other than whining at the fact that you didn't like certain words, terms, blah, blah.

And now, like a whining son-of-a-bitch, you demand for us to show our predictions. Well, what's YOUR prediction, motherfucker!

9. Higherthanhell

Higherthanhell Banned

10. stev90

stev90 Banned

11. gardener

Bubble blowing irrational exhuberants. I am more afraid of them than "Islamic Extremists".

12. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

How far might the U.S. economy fall?

Subprime mortgage crisis, soaring fuel prices have analysts worried

By Rachel Beck and Erin McClam, Associated Press

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

"I think the current financial crisis looks to me like the worst one since we got into the Depression," says Richard Sylla, who teaches the history of financial institutions at New York University's Stern School of Business.

Bear Stearns, One of the five largest U.S. investment banks nearly collapsed in a single day before the government propped it up by backing emergency loans and a rival stepped in to buy it for a fraction of its worth.

Nearly 9 million households now have upside-down mortgages, meaning they owe more than their home is worth. And for the first time ever, aggregate mortgage debt is bigger than the total value of homeowner equity - bigger by $836 billion, according to research by Merrill Lynch.

"This problem begins with the fact that we underwrote mortgages sloppily, which means no one really knows what those assets are worth," said Lyle Gramley, a former Federal Reserve governor and now an analyst with Stanford Financial Group. "That makes bankers very leery and has resulted in a significant contraction in the availability of credit." (I thought I might add that contractions usually result in recessions or depressions)

The Fed dusted off other Depression-era tools, too. It allowed securities dealers to borrow directly from the Fed, a privilege once restricted to commercial banks. And it announced it would lend up to $200 billion to investment banks.

The idea is to maintain confidence in the American banking system. If that fails - if more Bear Stearns episodes emerge - it could gum up the entire economy, historians note.

As David Rosenberg, chief North American economist for Merrill Lynch, pointed out in an analysis this week, the parallels to the 1970s go much deeper than just the shock of record oil prices, which tripled during the 1973-75 recession and have seen a similar rise in recent years.

Then as now, food prices rose along with energy. Then as now, declining home prices gave homeowners ulcers over equity. And the dollar, which held up fine in the 2001 recession, is falling now even more than it did in the early 1970s - 9 percent then on a trade-weighted basis, 14 percent in the last year, according to the Federal Reserve.

Signs of the pinch are showing up everywhere:

* By the end of 2007, 36 percent of consumers' disposable income went to food, energy and medical care, a bigger chunk of income than at any time since records were first kept in 1960, according to Merrill Lynch.

* People are treating themselves less often. The National Restaurant Association says 54 percent of restaurants reported declining traffic in January, and the government says eating at home increased last year for the first time since 2001.

* Financial planners say that more than ever, parents are calling for advice on how to deal with grown children who have moved back in with mom and dad after losing a job or just to save money.

13. stev90

stev90 Banned

14. stev90

stev90 Banned

15. stev90

stev90 Banned

So, Acqa, no recession yet, huh, asshole?!! haha! :jester:

Bernanke warns of possible U.S. recession

Fed chief says economy may shrink in the first half of the year

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23917696/

16. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

you guys (and gals) still spinning your wheels about this shit! listen it is quite simple. if you have a job there is 100% employment. if you don't have a job there is 100% unemployment (depression.) now, fuck all this doublespeak! a depression and a recession are the same damn thing. it just a play on words (spin doctoring.) there are ALLWAYS "jobs" out there even with 100% unemployment! are you nuts! what jobs? you ask of me. again it is simple. in "bad times" you can get two types of jobs. get a job "helping" people who are hurting, or get a job "exploiting" people who are hurting. that last option is quite monsterous! yet that is how allmost all of business works. people are to be used like tiolet paper; wipe your ass with them and flush them away (exploit.) people are "human resources" to be used and when their no longer usefull... throw them away! fuck that shit about being "human beings!" we're all just "human resources!" that is not just cruel and dehumanizing... IT'S EVIL AS ALL HELL TOO! you all can go a head and keep spinning your wheels on this shit if you want too and playing "how awfull it all is." that does not solve shit! to solve this we need to start with questions. here is one question i have: "how do we all go about changing both economics and society to bring the factor of human beings (NOT "HUMAN RESOURCES!") into this matter? i'm asking this... how do we go about the humane use of human beings in business and society as a whole? come on everyone... lets not just whine about this shit... lets us all find soultions to it!

17. Higherthanhell

Higherthanhell Banned

18. wackyiraqi

wackyiraqi Senior Member

"A recession is possible"

"Our estimates are that we're slightly growing at the moment"

"A recession is a technical term. I'm not ready to say whether or not the US economy will face such a situation."

You're a fucking idiot. Why would you post a link that CONTRADICTS your argument? You should stick to the only thing that you are marginally good at, flaming.

Here is another interesting quote from YOUR link.

"he expects economic growth to pick up in the second half of the year and into 2009, helped by the government's $168 billion stimulus package of tax rebates"

What a great find Stev, way to prove yourself wrong.

19. stev90

stev90 Banned

LOL. You're the fucking idiot who likes to bury his head in the sand.

Did you learn "economics" from our "Professor" Acqa, our self-styled "economist" in this forum, who it turns out, is probably just another masturbating 14 year old who came upon an Economics for ASSHOLES book in the library. :jester:

No contradiction here, in fact, it supports my realistic worldview and that of others in this forum, with enough intelligence, that this economy is in bad shape, unlike pro-government, pro-Bush, stupid, dumbfucks like you who keep their heads stuck deep inside their asses. :jester:

80,000 job losses, unemployment spikes
    Employers slash jobs for third straight month while unemployment jumps to 5.1%, a nearly three-year high.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/04/news/economy/jobs_march/index.htm?cnn=yes

20. gardener

You want to arrest this recession, start asking questions about global warming and those in position to reap huge gains while energy prices sore and employee rights and protections diminish. Begin by asking why ethanol is being subsidized? It's been subsidized for years It was subsidized for years while corn towers were built, but no ethanol was produced, and corn and other commodities soared. How many vehicles have you seen powered by it efficiently.

Then ask who is in a position to profit from the carbon offset market. Ask who's profitting from the exaggerated commodities market.