No recession huh?

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by Higherthanhell, Mar 13, 2008.

1. acga5

acga5 Senior Member

well i don't see why you have to get so hung up on a single word, if you want to use recession you must meet the guidelines for a recession, a bad economic downturn doesn't mean its better than a recession it just means we don't have 2 quarters of negative growth and i have said all along we are in bad economic times

2. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

So in effect you are saying the cpi and cpu are manipulated to minimize the reported effect on the economy of inflationary trends of certain commondities?

3. acga5

acga5 Senior Member

the cpi-u which is the one the government shows us does not include the sub effect so it may actually be over inflated, they have the c-cpi-u which shows the effects of the sub effect, and it isn't minimizing the inflation numbers, it is bringing them down to correct levels because if the price of something goes up say just for example the price of all soda goes up alot, then people buy more water, if soda is still weighted the same and the price is up than it will increase inflationary numbers even though less people are effected by it because they can just switch to bottled water or something, so in the c-cpi-u the soda will be still be listed as its nominal price, but it will weighted less because people are less effected by it because they can just switch over, however, if something like oil goes up this can not be applied because it is impossible for everyday people to quickly switch over to an alternative

4. stev90

stev90 Banned

So,you can have a good economic indicator in bad economic times. :leaving:

5. stev90

stev90 Banned

Right, people can buy all sorts of things, provided they have the jobs, (good-paying jobs) and most importantly, real money to go along with it.

6. acga5

acga5 Senior Member

okay let me rephrase that for you, GDP is a effective measure of economic development even though it has its flaws no system is perfect

7. acga5

acga5 Senior Member

real money is what people accept as real money it is backed by consumer demand

8. stev90

stev90 Banned

What effect is your giving importance to the GDP, considering it has it's flaws, if, as you yourself admit, we are in bad economic times.

Since as you yourself admit, that the GDP is flawed, then, the root cause of this bad economic times, must lie beyond GDP.

9. stev90

stev90 Banned

When you lend real money, do you expect to get back your real money, plus interest (also in real money)?

10. acga5

acga5 Senior Member

yeah we can't rely on GDP alone, thats why there are about 1000 different measures for different economic things :), GDP just gives a rough overview of the health of the economy, it is a measure of production within a country of any kind(so if someone dies in a car crash and 10ppl get paid to clean up the wreckage than GDP will go up because there is a rise in economic activity, while one person dying may suck and car accidents aren't good for people, they do create jobs? it is a purely economic measure)

11. stev90

stev90 Banned

But you yourself, admit that GDP has it's flaws.

So, what's the point of even bringing GDP, being a rough estimate, and considering that GDP is flawed, into the picture, even, again, as you yourself admit that the economy is in bad economic times?

12. stev90

stev90 Banned

Well, I think, I'm signing of now, for the moment.

I got better things to do than "discuss" things on the Internet.
    Time is precious and there are more realistic things to do that are just begging to be given priority.

To anyone who still wonders whether there is or there is not a recession, well, whatever you do, and think, good luck, best wishes.

peace,
    stev

13. acga5

acga5 Senior Member

its not a flawed measure, so the numbers it gives are not incorrect, it just leaves out some things that people value so it is a purely numerical/economic measure of economic activity

14. Higherthanhell

Higherthanhell Banned

15. It's really hard to take a discussion seriously when people use childish terms like "Libtards" and "Repukes" and now I get to hear "Republicunts"? I know this seems like a clever twist of words into a sloganistic novelty, but it really is childish and has no place in a serious debate.

If you have to call people names to advance your cause, you have lost, no matter how foul the names you come up with.

CF

16. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

thank you

17. Higherthanhell

Higherthanhell Banned

18. Higherthanhell

Higherthanhell Banned

19. flmkpr

flmkpr Senior Member

pls refer to post 299

20. Higherthanhell