No outlet

Discussion in 'Art' started by Spuff, May 18, 2004.

1. Spuff

Spuff Where's my ciggies?

It is possible to be artistic in mind, yet not have an outlet for it? I know and I've been told that my ideas for art excellent but if you give me either pencil and paper or a musical instrument, it seems to go out of the window! I can hear fantastic music and see great things in my mind, yet I feel I can't get it out.

2. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

try written word... or tyy putting your fingers into paint and just splodging onto things... it will come but every artform has a barrier in the mind you must break... once u have its easyer to do it :)

3. billhicksrulez

billhicksrulez Member

Same here, I wish my parents had forced me into playing an instument of any kind when I was young, or something like that. I have tried playing a couple of instruments, but not before my 25th. But trying to get your emotions on paper is also an creative outlet I think although not as nice as guitar or piano on stage :(

4. Spuff

I like the idea of writing but there's another problem ... I can never seem to word things properly. Even though my spelling and punctuation is great, I only normally put things in 'baby English' when I set out intentionally to write.

The only outlet I've had so far is providing people with ideas for music etc. At least that's something, I suppose! I tried making techno/dance music (as I used to love it) but as of late, I find it boring and repetative and just not as spontaneous as I am.

5. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

yeah man, i used to be in the same boat. You have all these great things in your head, but they just are'nt coming out. You just have to give up. I see alot of really good artists, but they try to over do everything. They either try to be "different" and "psychedelic" or overdramatic(literature) or they play a piece of music thinking that the more notes they throw in, the better it's gonna sound. Just give up, stop trying to try. And smoke some weed

6. Spuff

Sounds like a plan! lol *Throws his pen and paper away, skins a fat joint and sparks up*:p

7. psycdelcdragon

psycdelcdragon Member

Hey,

Yeah the smoke more weed part i agree with, but i don't think you should give up or being artistic. i have the same problem, i can come up with these great images, situations, and ideas in my head but when it comes to making the solid i just can't get it out. I think you should try keep trying different things. there are hundreds of ways to express creativity. maybe you could try takin a class in glass blowing or sculpting. And maybe you just need to smoke and then try writing or drawing

8. Sarombi

Sarombi Member

im the same way except i play an instrument and draw ull never just pick something up and be great u gotta practice and yeah ull have a hard time but think of it this way your not a bad artist your a good artist just one who hasnt fully developed his(her?) style. start art and dont stop!

9. hemp726

hemp726 Member

i have a friend exactly liek u he's a genius but has the same problem u do he tries to get peoepl to draw it for him by discription

10. Magical Fire Lady

Magical Fire Lady Senior Member

I know how that is kinda.. Sometimes I want to create something but I feel I don't have the materials or something..
    Just work with stuff, and don't try to make things exact.

11. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

how much have you really applied yourself? Do you toss it aside when you hit a rough patch (be honest, it's a first impulse for most people- I tossed oils aside)
    training your creative voice takes years. Some folks get a better result quickly, but you will see the same thing out of them for a long time: same training times.
    If you whip out the paints and expect to be Chagall or O Keefe straight away, that isn't going to happen. Didn't happen for them, either.
    Same is true for music. Most of the folks who are good, functioning musicians took time (all this stuff takes time, says Arlo Guthrie) either throughout a compulsive childhood or during an injury, or they created the time where they holed up with their instrument and went at it.
    In writing, the credo is to write well you must read well, meaning read good stuff.
    And writing, more than music or visual art, has an editing process. It's also much more solitary. No one has a gallery opening for their book..unless Felinghetti has arranged one at City Lights.

i'd say that good influences are invaluable in all arts.
    Look outside the usual, too. I know some scary talented video guys (ya, all guys) wring with live music these days. thats a couple graphics programs, a hi memory laptop, mid grade video camera, and a 3000-5000 lumens projector and you are ready.

12. somedude

somedude Member

Maybe try it sober. Smoking weed is fun and can be creative, but for the most part it doesn't help the process. Drawing is a discipline and like everything else needs lots of practice/patience/guidance. Having stuff in your head does not make art. Making art is hard work and frustrating and takes years of practice.