no, i did NOT write this, haha

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by interval_illusion, May 20, 2004.

1. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

Nader Calls for Investigation Into Rising Gas Prices

Washington, DC: Gasoline prices are approaching $3 a gallon in some states like California and Nevada. Every penny increase in the price of a gallon of gasoline over a year costs consumers $1.4 billion. Every penny! This is not due to gasoline taxes, this revenue is going to the oil industry.

How is this happening? There is no reduction in supply by the OPEC cartel. There is no regulatory excuse for the oil companies to blame, for there is no regulation of prices at all. Industry spokespersons say it is the tightening of refining capacity.

If that is the excuse, then why have the oil companies been closing down so many refineries over the past twenty years and not building any new ones in their place? The cynical answer is that tightening refinery capacity is the perfect way to jack prices up without being charged with price-fixing by the government.

The Bush Administra

Nader Calls for Investigation Into Rising Gas Prices

Washington, DC: Gasoline prices are approaching $3 a gallon in some states like California and Nevada. Every penny increase in the price of a gallon of gasoline over a year costs consumers $1.4 billion. Every penny! This is not due to gasoline taxes, this revenue is going to the oil industry.

How is this happening? There is no reduction in supply by the OPEC cartel. There is no regulatory excuse for the oil companies to blame, for there is no regulation of prices at all. Industry spokespersons say it is the tightening of refining capacity.

If that is the excuse, then why have the oil companies been closing down so many refineries over the past twenty years and not building any new ones in their place? The cynical answer is that tightening refinery capacity is the perfect way to jack prices up without being charged with price-fixing by the government.

The Bush Administration is headed by two ex-oil fellows and around Bush and Cheney there are 40 high officials who came from the oil and gas industry. Bush's government is leaving consumers, cab drivers, truckers, and homeowners defenseless. It is doing nothing in a big way. Tens of billions of dollars are being drained away from individuals, families and businesses.

An investigation is needed to determine why prices are rising so rapidly. Consumers need to know why tens of billions of dollars are being transferred from their wallets to the oil companies. tion is headed by two ex-oil fellows and around Bush and Cheney there are 40 high officials who came from the oil and gas industry. Bush's government is leaving consumers, cab drivers, truckers, and homeowners defenseless. It is doing nothing in a big way. Tens of billions of dollars are being drained away from individuals, families and businesses.

An investigation is needed to determine why prices are rising so rapidly. Consumers need to know why tens of billions of dollars are being transferred from their wallets to the oil companies.

2. TheLittleOne

TheLittleOne Senior Member

heh, it's time like these that i'm kinda glad i dont have a car right now, and i get everyone to take me to work and back. thanks mom! lol. fuck paying for gas..or a car. too much expenses.

3. interval_illusion

my husband and i just spend 50 bucks to fill up two gas tanks on COMPACT CARS.

bullshit!

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

at two bux a gallon at the pump the price of gas still only reflects about 1/3 of the real costs of its consumption. yes i know existing alternatives are often inadiquite, but that is a kind of chicken or the egg bussiness isn't it? the pretense of the automobile is still the easiest sell politicly, but it's still a big lie too. the quicker more people see this the quicker anything actuly useful can be done about it and the higher the price of gas the sooner and more likely that is. i am sorry that hits hardest those who can least afford it, but what doesn't?

reality is, however many transitory fluctuations, the average price over time can only go up as reserves get consumed and diminish. this is a reality that nothing done to remidy in the short term is going to chainge in the long haul.

5. FireQuint

FireQuint Member

Oh no you don't

what are you doing back here?

6. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

im getting my licence in a week...but i dont have a job...gas money...or a car..o well

7. interval_illusion

i live at a place where i CANNOT get to work or school w/out a car. it sucks... i dont even want to have one.

8. angelgodiva

angelgodiva Senior Member

No car here. I either walk, bike, or hitchhike if I don't have a friend going my way.

9. tom

tom Member

Hope they keep jackin' it up. The rest of the world has been dealing with these gas prices for years and years. Maybe more of us lazy Amerikans will learn to ride bikes, start walking a little more, or god forbid use public transportation. Better for ya physically, better for the earth, and less gas useage means leans power to the oil barens.

10. interval_illusion

tom...

if i took public transportation to my school it would take three hours....EACH WAY....

if i walked it would take 12 hours each way.

MAYBE THEY NEED TO IMPROVE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION AROUND HERE BEFORE PEOPLE CAN EXPECT US TO STOP DRIVING.

11. metro

metro self-banned

agreed, it's a difficult idea to sell though, Americans can be lazy...It would be nice if more people would live closer to their place of employment too. interval is right though, public transportation needs much improving. Our nation was built around the car though, it's hard to change the infrastructure now.

I love biking to work, I avoid annoying traffic, it's just so much more pleasant.

12. hiro

hiro pursue it

Think about how expensive public transportation would be if we all started using it though??? I mean it would be cheaper then buying gas but think of how much p.t use to be and how much it would be if we all converted.

13. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

On that happy note, I am going for a bike ride.

14. halloweenriot

halloweenriot Member

Bill Clinton was a good hippy, who felt our pain and opened the emergency oil reserves to lower gas prices. I wish that Bush would open those fuckers up too; my Escalade only gets 1 mile per gallon in the city when I have the air condition on cool-blast.

15. tom

tom Member

dude, I hope your joking when you say you drive an escalade...and if you're not, you deserve it.

16. fylthevoyd

fylthevoyd Super Moderator

The bottom line is that we are all being gang raped by the oil companies.The only way to stop this bullshit,is to throw the thieving bastards out of Washington who allow this shit to happen.Some of us have to have gas in order to survive,I live 30 miles from the insanity of society and have to work which means I have to drive.
    I have one question for all you bicycle advocates;Are you willing to ride a bike a hundred miles a day carrying a pick-up load of tools on your back in order to make a living? I think not,fire the fucks who are fucking us.Don't condemn us that need gas in order to survive.