No Gas May 15th!!!

Discussion in 'Protest' started by forgottenmusicfan, May 12, 2007.

1. forgottenmusicfan

forgottenmusicfan Member

Don't pump gas on MAY 15th

In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all internet users are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companies pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at least one day.

Put this in a Myspace bulliten. Any way that you can to tell people to not pump gas on may 15th!!!

2. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

A. Any loss the companies exp. on the 15th will quickly be recouped the next day when people have to refill
    B. To prepare, people will fill up the 14th
    C. It is more of a burden to the people than gas companies, just look at A and B
    D. one day? psshhh
    E. Look for alternatives, use your two feet if all else fails
    F. If you need to gas up, do it at a local gas station, not exxon mobile, ect. Boycott the major chains for ever rather than gas for one day!

Call, mail, ect your local congress person and DEMAND they make a push towards more effienient enegry sources. Boycotting gas for one day...is a dubious effort at best, sorry. I think you can try harder than that and sacrifice more.

3. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

Yeah these one day no-gas things ALWAYS work.

It's good that you want to make a difference, but these one-day gas boycotts are possibly the most poorly thought out and ineffective protests ever.

4. Carlfloydfan

yah with all those beastly suvs and hummers that could barely fit on some European roads ridin around [​IMG] maybe

No wonder they are banned in some areas of the Netherlands/trying to be banned in paris and are banned in other areas...

5. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

Um, no they didn't. That's a weak urban legend. Gas prices dropped slightly in the Spring of 1997 due to the Asian financial crisis, but they bounced back and rose as they ALWAYS do from June to October. No Gas Days do nothing but make Exxon/Mobil laugh at you.

Want to hurt the oil companies? Don't buy a car.

6. Carlfloydfan

[​IMG]

7. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

Yeah, I heard about this. In this country, every now and then, the petrol companies will report a petrol shortage, and people will go nuts panic buying. Working in an office near a filling station at the time, I regularly popped in the shop, and on the dreaded day, I had to ask "Is there actually a petrol shortage?"

There wasn't.

For the same reason, I'm suspicious of this May 15th thing. It might as well be cooked up by the gas companies. I mean, if you actually want to hit them at all, make it a "no driving anywhere" day.

8. mandell

mandell Banned

Zoomie and CarlFloyd are right.
    While the idea behind your proposal is perhaps a noble cause, one day "protest" events don't do much other than issue a political statement and make some noise. Perhaps, it can start to elevate people's awareness and consciousness on certain issues.

Other than that, nothing much is accomplished.
    You'll have to do better than mere "one day protests" to have a major, lasting impact.

9. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

Basically it only works if everyone tops up every day already, and most people don't.

10. Zoomie

Blow up one refinery on the east coast, one on the gulf coast, one each on the west coast and in the pacific northwest, and one in the midwest, all timed to explode at the same time. That will have lasting impact.

11. mandell

mandell Banned

Yeah, but that will only give Cheney an excuse to have Halliburton fix them up in no time, with one of them no-bid, multi-billion dollar contracts using tax dollars anyway.

12. Zoomie

Oh, yeah, wtf was I thinking...

13. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

why a weekday?

people need to commute to work and shit

if anything it should be a weekend
    and that way it's two days :)

14. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

sooner or later oils going to run out and because of cheap petrol america will be designed in such a way its going to fall apart.
    you need higher prices to get people demanding better means of transport a good train system for example .

I can live without a car in england because there is a train station in my town a short walk from my house, and there are buses that will take me to anywhere trains dont run , thats pretty much the same all over europe , our towns were designed before cars and when the age of the car is over they will still be liveable .

can you walk to the shops where you are, can you get to work, to a post office and generally live your day to day life without a car , how does your town get food, if it comes just by plane or truck your in for some hard times because they arent going to be around for long .

some parts of america will be ok especially some of the old towns that were designed for humans not cars if you can... move to them , or try to get your town to design new developments with trains and on a walkable scale not in the hope that cars are going to be around forever .

now I may be wrong maybe some super scientist may come up with cars that run on water or jam or something but if Im not having expensive petrol prices could be the saving of your country

15. Carlfloydfan

I don't think anyone said the contrary. That is a well known fact.

Frankly, people anywhere in the world should make more of a sacrifice and buy a bike!

16. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

you know, this whole may 15th thing made me think about john lennon's "bed in". i wonder what would happen if everybody just didn't go anywhere, or buy anything for just one day? i bet it would have more of an influence than "don't buy any gas on this day, but fill up on that day". if you think about it, this really doesnt make sense. not everybody has the internet, or cares, so not everybody is going to do it. and it's not like people buy gas every single day anyways. i didn't buy any gas today, but that's because i had a half a tank left. i doubt this will even dent the companies. but that doesnt mean we shouldn't give up on protesting it...we should turn our attention to the alternative fuel cars that are out-they're the ones that need to lower their prices! right now, only the wealthy can conserve energy and gas-that's bullshit. oil is going to run out, the more it does the higher the prices are going to be. that really cant be helped.

17. forgottenmusicfan

forgottenmusicfan Member

I think there would be so much lost revenue that many buissnesses would go out of buissness.

18. WhisperingWoods

WhisperingWoods too far gone

"pump twice as much gas may 16th!"