No-Chicken Soup From Scratch.

Discussion in '100% Vegan' started by Jimbee68, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I was wondering, is there a way to make vegan chicken-less soup from scratch?

Because, true story, about 30 years ago, I came up with beef-less gravy. Or was it soup? It's been so long, I don't even remember. Anyway, I used Brewer's yeast, and braised carrots, interestingly enough.

Chickenless soup would be great, because if you added rice, peanut butter and something hot (Tabasco--but I like Curry powder better), you get peanut soup. It's apparently a regional delicacy in the US. I never heard of it either. But it still tastes great.

Any takers?

:) :) :)

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I wish you would have asked two weeks ago! I just donated my old vegan cookbooks to the local university's library. I'm sure there is a way to make it with tofu instead of chicken, but I don't know. Maybe with vegetable broth. But then that's tofu-vegetable soup. I love Brewer's yeast! Or at least I did when I was at a wilderness camp.

We were trekking through the wilderness of northern Idaho and Montana with only rice and lentils for dinner. One night something smelled so good! I remember one of the counselors saying he had Brewer's yeast for his food. I didn't get any of it, but it sure smelled good. I think it also wards off ticks and fleas.

3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Our son is vegetarian and Jane makes him soup from cut up quorn chicken and home made vegetable stock. I suppose that using quorn does not count as making it from scratch, but it saves having to use animal free flavorings to achieve the same result.

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Soup is easy
    You can buy vegetable broth
    Or make your own by simmering a mix of vegetables (I collect the scraps for a couple of days or use any veggies I know I won't eat before they go bad) with garlic and herbs and spices in a pot of water for about 12 hours

Once you have the broth you can put just about anything you want in it to make the soup