Nihilism & Christianity

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by onexlove420, Feb 14, 2009.

1. onexlove420

onexlove420 Member

Is it possible to be a Nihilist AND a Christian? My friend says its not, but I'm pretty sure it is. Can someone explain Nihilism a bit.

2. Ukr-Cdn

Ukr-Cdn Striving towards holiness

Umm, probably not.

I mean, you can call yourself anything; however, the wordviews (that life has no objective meaning, and belief in a personal/loving God respectively) are intrisicly opposed in my opinion.

3. jumbuli55

jumbuli55 Member

How do you define nihilism? And what is your definition of Christianity?

Nietzsche wrote many books arguing the point. So did many other thinkers, theologians and etc. Anyone interested can read.

I personally think that with times getting tough one is better suited thinking how to get through. Can't afford luxury of Ancient Greeks who spent their lives idly discussing such matters.
    Besides, with so much passion surrounding these kinds of questions, how do you expect to have a rational discourse on it in the public forum?

4. gib_0101

gib_0101 Member

Any Nihilist would say morality isn't real. Any Christian would say morality is of the highest importance.

5. jumbuli55

jumbuli55 Member

How do you define morality ?

6. zen_arcade

zen_arcade Banned

It is impossible to be a nihilist and a christian.
    Anyone with even a rudimentary knowledge of nihilism could tell you that.

7. zen_arcade

zen_arcade Banned

8. gib_0101

gib_0101 Member

In this context, the same way nihilists do when they say it doesn't exist.

9. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

As I understand it, nihilism is an extreme form of skepticism holding that nothing is knowable or communicable, and that existence is meaningless. Obviously, there would be no room for coexistence between nihilism and Christianity by that definition. At minimum, Christianity entails a commitment to the teachings and example of Jesus as knowable and meaningful. If we soften the definition of nihilism a bit by adding the word "objectively" (nothing is objectivley knowable or communicable and existence has no objective meaning) it's possible (just barely) for a Christian to be a nihilist--by simply saying "human existence and morality have no objective meaning, but I like Jesus or subjectively find Him meaningful as a matter of personal taste. That's close to, or maybe is, a rudimentary form of existentialism.

10. zen_arcade

zen_arcade Banned

I understand what you're saying.
    I suppose it would be possible if you call yourself a christian but hold no concept of sin or god, haha.

11. AlexianLibertarian

AlexianLibertarian Member

There are several forms of nihlism-

Epistemological nihilism, which is the belief that knowledge cannot be attained at all about the world, that knowledge is impossible. That knowledge does not exist.

Existential nihilism, which is the belief that life has no ultimate purpose or meaning.

Moral nihilism, which is the belief that morals are impossible things to attain, or that they don't exist or don't rationally exist.

A Christian could definitely be an existential nihilist.

12. famewalk

famewalk Banned

For moral nihilism; the acception is in politics. Morals is equal to moralization. Moralization can excuse people form the proper use of the computer for instance.

13. onexlove420

onexlove420 Member

Which I am.
    Thank you. :)

14. Xac

Xac Visitor

That's because you're only considering the conclusion, not how a nihilist arrives there. And on the other side you would have to redefine Christianity to the point at which it is only Christianity in name only.

But, a very nice effort for a 14 year old, I must say.

15. walsh

walsh Senior Member

The two doctrines are consistent, in my opinion.

Nihilism - life has no predetermined meaning
    Christian - life is about being good

I believe in nihilism AND christian ideals - that we have no inherent purpose, but that we must create our own good to bring us closer to God's Kingdom.

16. Xac

Xac Visitor

Wrong, nihilism means that life has no obtainable value, goal or purpose, subjective or objective.

Christianity is about an objective purpose, from which the source is God's word.

That is not nihilism, I don't care if you want to call it Christian though. If we must "create our own good" to "bring us closer to God's Kingdom", then there is a subjective purpose (bringing ones own good) and an objective goal (reaching "God's Kingdom"). Both of these things are not consistent with nihilism.

17. walsh

walsh Senior Member

Yes. We're using the word 'nihilism' in different ways but I think I agree with you. The old definition of nihilism was that nothing has meaning, ever therefore nothing is ever good or bad. What i'm talking about is closer to existential or moral nihilism. However I believe that good is to be valued, because it is necessary to all life which I believe is precious. Whether you believe that's the way things were from the beginning and we and our values were made in God's image, or God and value itself is our creation, isn't a whole lot different in the end.

18. spexxx

spexxx Member

Believing in nothing vs Believing in something. Contradictory, maybe? Lol

19. walsh

walsh Senior Member

You're thinking of fatalism. Look up what nihilism means again.

20. spexxx

spexxx Member

Maybe later Mr Scientist