Next Electronics Revolution Has Begun!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by wooleeheron, Aug 19, 2019.

1. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

https://phys.org/news/2019-08-wired-emerges-circuits.html

The paper is a bit of a rambling mess if you ask me, but its clear the author could not think straight because they were so excited. Basically, they discovered they could use sound to compensate for flaws in a fiber optic cable, allowing the light to travel much further without amplification. Theoretically, you could even use high power fiber optical cables to deliver power to your house, instead of electrical cables. Its much more efficient, like about a 10,000x more efficient to use light for both power and communications, but we've been using the equivalent of telegraph cables up to this point, and now they've got all the pieces required to make everything optical and electronic, seamlessly integrating the two whenever it makes sense.

It will be a few years, nobody knows exactly how long, but the hardware will start to show up first in uses for the already existing optical cable networks. My guess is it will be at least six years before this starts to invade the rest of the industry, but this is it people. Using light for communications directly to computers means our computers can even be ganged together in enormous networks and crunch unimaginable numbers. Unfathomable numbers, crunched by ganging everyone's cellphones and laptops together at the speed of light.

2. We're already living in this lap of luxury. How do you get excited about things like this? It's just going to make our lives easier and therefore duller.

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

You need to put the link at the bottom . U show up on my spam radar with it on top.

wooleeheron likes this.
  4. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

LMF BALLS OFF!!!

5. wooleeheron

In twenty years commercial fishing will no longer be possible and, within fifty, every wild land animal larger than dog will be extinct or only exist in zoos. We'll see how you feel about living the life of Riley. This development means we can begin to rewire the entire planet for power and communications in ways that save enormous amounts of money and incredibly more environmentally friendly. The demand for electricity, roads, houses, you name it, just keeps going up and we need serious alternatives that are ridiculously cheap and durable as well. Fiber optics have been around for a long time, but this is like making a cheap one suddenly as good as the best.

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

This sounds familiar... Can't quite put my finger on it...

I think someone on the forum makes posts like that.

7. In that case, yippee skippy doo. Who is Riley?

8. wooleeheron

"The Life of Reilly" is an old saying originating with the lyrics of a song from 1880. I have a free outstanding offer to teach anyone how to use a search engine and a dictionary.

9. And I have a free outstanding offer to teach people how not to be a pretentious dickbag, but so far no takers.

10. wooleeheron

Keep trying, I'm sure you'll find one.

11. Yes, if only I could find one. But where to look? I guess I'll keep trying your threads. Somehow they just seem to be the place.

12. wooleeheron

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

13. That's good advice. You should take it.

14. wooleeheron

Attracting flies is never a problem online for anyone.

15. Sure doesn't seem to be, though I try to be a nice person. Someone always has some smartass, mean spirited comment to make. I guess some people just think they're better than everyone else. Maybe that's the way of the tao, I'm not sure, to just insult people without giving it a second thought.

16. wooleeheron

My heart bleeds for you.

17. It should, because I'm a nice person who doesn't mean any harm, and I don't deserve to be treated so shoddily.

18. wooleeheron

That's nice.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

How do you kill 200 flies in one hit?
    Whack an Ethiopian in the face with a fry pan.

Ayyy000000

20. wooleeheron

Nuke congress, and you get 500 at a shot.