News

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by mariecstasy, May 14, 2004.

1. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

i rarely watch the news. it is because i hate seeing all the turmoil that we have brought upon ourselves. i hate to hear the stories of suffering and pain and the direction our humanity is going. once in a while i tune in to it and it literally brings me to tears and puts terror in my heart.
    are you someone who enjoys it?

2. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

dont let it put terror into your heart, thats exactly what they want to do.

did you know that when the crime rate/murder rate(i dont remember which) went down 20%, that the reporting rate went up 600%!?

3. 7river

7river on a distinguished path

no i don't enjoy it. sometimes i look like an ass cause i'll talk all political in a random store conversation and someone brings up an important current event and i'm like "holy shit, when did that happen?" and they look at me dumbfounded...

4. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

I watch the news regularly. I don't always like what I hear, but I don't like being ignorant of what's going on in the world around me.

5. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i rarely like what i hear.

i usually dont watch the news, i figure, if something is that important, or i need to know it, ill hear about it.

6. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

i am like that too. i dont know anything that is going on in the world cause its easier not too.

and i cant help that i let things like that upset me. i am too sensitive to things like that. need to be stronger~~~~~

for example....i had no idea about the beheading video until i saw it on here

7. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

me either.

8. Tree-Hugger

Tree-Hugger The Chainsaw

I don't watch it either, but my parents do. I just get them to tell me what is going on.

9. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

let me explain my terror that i feel. it isnt about here. it isnt about being raped or murdered. it is about the state of the world. it is about watching the conflict with iraq brew into something much bigger.
    it is about watching it and knowing in my mind that there are so evil bastards orchestrating the beginnings of world war III. this is my opinion i know.
    i do feel that i should be better informed about world events. it just hurts too much

10. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

that terror is a little more understandable.

11. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I enjoy watching the news, and I do watch it quite regularly. I like being informed and having some idea of what's going on in the world, whether the news might be discouraging or not. I can agree that it is often very discouraging, though. I just try to not let it get to me, though sometimes it does.

12. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

anyone with a heart cant help but be discouraged by it sometimes rat, thats a good sign.

13. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

thats funny rat. i was thinking of you and boosh when i posted this. cause i tend to think that you are two of the most informed posters that i have noticed. then again i dont go into the news or politcs forums.

14. halloweenriot

halloweenriot Member

I’m just guessing, but I’d say about 95% of the situations and people in the world are basically good. The popular news organizations seem to spend all their time reporting on the violent, cruel, vicious, miserable and evil 5% of the people and situations. For every drive-by shooting there are millions of times that people drive right by each other without blasting the hell out of somebody, but if you read the Chicago Tribune you’d get the impression that an evening stroll in the city is a drive-by death sentence. I guess that sensationalism sells, but the popular news, especially TV news programs, present an exceedingly warped view of the world. Screw the news; watch the NHL playoffs instead, they’re pretty good this year, and as you know, there is no violence in hockey.

15. phillyrp314

phillyrp314 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I understand where you're coming from, marie. It's terrifying to me that the world seems to be shooting itself in the foot, (or the head for that matter) , and the news only provides front row seats. And it is unfathomable that so many other people can't see it for themselves. I get the same feeling when I have a certain dream where I know danger is approaching me, but no matter what I do(very lucid dream), I can't escape. The news is often just a reminder of that feeling of helplessness.

But, I have to go with olhippie on this one. I don't always enjoy what I watch, but I'd rather not be ignorant of the current events that directly or indirectly affect my life. Plus, I'll agree that there is plenty of good news happening around us. We just don't always see it through the eyes of the media.

16. joe

joe Banned

The only time i watch the news is in the morning, where i wait until my mom finishes getting ready for work and watch the news until i go
    But the damn news here is so damn annoying, they go from iraq coverage, to what britney spears has been screwing!
    and the people on the news here are fukin annoying as hell, its all just entertainement news with a little real news thrown in

thats the only time i watch the news, that and for car chases:p

17. neckienoo

neckienoo Member

I try to avoid the news also. It's very sad, and negative. It's spooky how the newscasters seem so numb to all of those depressing stories. There are other ways to keep up with what's going on around us than to watch it.

18. Tsubasa

Tsubasa Member

The news is sad, but not paying attention to it is something I can't do. I think that you can either desensitize yourself by immersing yourself in the violence that has become part of mainstream entertainment or you can desensitize yourself by not facing the stuff that makes you sad. Me? I choose to know the bad things that happen, feel sorrow, say a prayer for those who were affected so horribly and then make what difference I can in the world.

19. Pressed_Rat

One thing that really gets me is that Dubya openly and proudly admits to not watching the news or reading the newspaper. I feel that if the president doesn't give a shit, the people should at least try. I don't want to be part of the same uninformed idiocy that Bush (and much of the country) is. That's the way I look at it.

And while like Brian said, the news often presents us with a very distorted perception of the truth, it is up to us to seperate what is fact from what is fiction. The only way this can happen is through being informed and staying on top of things that happen in the world, and getting your news from a variety of sources - not just through mainstream media, but independent media as well. Both present sides that the other one doesn't.

20. Pressed_Rat

But how? You've got to get the news somehow, either through television, newspapers, magazines, or the internet.