News Just In

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by PIXIEFIED, Aug 23, 2005.

1. boothy

boothy Senior Member

But actions like violence, even if by a minority, stand out a lot more than any good honest things.

Example:

A man works in India as a doctor, he works hard all his life to save many peoples lives. He has an argument in a pub, it gets out of hand, he kills someone.

Which would he be remembered more for? Killing someone, or saving people?

Actions thought wrong, such as attacks etc. stand out to people a lot more than whatever they have done right. That is why the minority tarnish the reputation of the majority.

2. PIXIEFIED

PIXIEFIED Member

AARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

3. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

So what? You could even argue that this is to the benefit of the movement, since it at least draws peoples attention to the cause of animal rights. Bad publicity is better than no publicity, remember?

4. boothy

boothy Senior Member

But thousands on the streets of london, or blocking the A1, would get equal publicity, and would not cause distress and would not be looked upone nearly half as badly as a letterbomb or something would.

5. PIXIEFIED

PIXIEFIED Member

SCHNEWS, UNDERCURRENTS.

6. DoktorAtomik

Oh c'mon, you really think that this is about to happen? And if it did, do you really think it would make a blind bit of difference?

Are you old enough to remember the fuel protests? Notice how they caused a petrol crisis and still failed to change government policy?

7. boothy

boothy Senior Member

As established?

So they are as established as the BBC? They have as many different media types under their belt, they are on national TV, not including digital/sky etc.?

They have as many reporters, as many people checking to see if information is truthful?

I'm sorry, but I fail to see why the dislike of the BBC. I can understand of other major corporations, but the BBC is independant, although many people think it's some government output.

8. PIXIEFIED

PIXIEFIED Member

would u come and block the A1?
    if so why dont you get involved and go to some peacful protest, cus there all peaceful. you might even learn some stuff :)

9. PIXIEFIED

PIXIEFIED Member

whats been established got to do with truth???
    the bbc is biased mate, seen it wiv me own eyes

10. DoktorAtomik

He's got a point. The BBC may be far from a propaganda machine, but it's hardly impartial. Where was the BBC coverage of the Beanfield, eh?

11. boothy

boothy Senior Member

It would make the same difference as anything happening currently. Maybe more. Why? Because it involves the general public. If the A1 is blocked for days on end (yes it is possible to do) then a lot of traffic is slowed down, people can't get to work, it shuts a lot of things hat happen normally day by day to a standstill.

And the government would be more scared of that then a few people getting mentally distressed and harrased.

The media would be there. It would be no violence, interviews could be given to the media from animal rights protesters. It would get coverage. All that is needed is somethng big to happen, preferably something peaceful.

I'm seriously not speculating here. I believe if this happened, it would make more of an impact.

12. PIXIEFIED

PIXIEFIED Member

it wouldnt happen, the police would kick the fuck out of u and drag u out the road and arrest u, there would be fuck all on the news except how animal rights ruined peoples day and caused danger on the road.

13. DoktorAtomik

Can I ask how old you are? Because no offence, but you sound like a sixth former with little or no experience of the real world.

Governments don't cower under pressure from peaceful protests - they respond with violence. Shutting down the A1 might seem like a fantastic idea from a secluded political dream world, but were it to happen in reality, you'd have the police dragging people off by their hair. It won't work. In fact, it hasn't worked. Fuel protests? Remember those?

Oh please! Scared of what? Precisely why would the government suddenly be quaking in their boots at the sight of a few protestors?

You're hopelessly naive. The police beat women and children with truncheons and destroyed their homes at the Beanfield. Never made it onto the news.

Again, you're hopelessly naive. The media reflects the status quo. There would be a few soundbites from a couple of hairy, unwashed hippies, and then they'd line up the 'expert opinion' in the studio to explain why animal experimentation was essential.

You've never actually been involved in peaceful direct action or been in conflict with the police, have you? Just a wild guess.

14. PIXIEFIED

PIXIEFIED Member

really yeah, and sorry for been insulting earlier to anyone i may have offended. but...
    anyone arguing about it should look into it, maybe read some leaflets, watch some animal rights vids, shit, even be radical enough to go to some demos, then you can see things from both sides, and then you will have a clear picture of how much propaghanda is been spread.
    animal rights people are wicked caring people, there nothing like there been portrade in the papers and on tv.
    its a smear campain. serious. im not lying.

15. cymru_jules

cymru_jules Member

Hang on are you not the same person that claimed to be some kind of virgin not so long back?

16. boothy

boothy Senior Member

Yes you're right, you have won. In fact you won ages ago, I'm just stubborn :D

I'm not qualified in any way to make judgement no. I apologise for not being able to back up my points with fact, I do know I'm not the brightest guy out there.

And that is not sarcasm by the way, even if it sounded like it.

Maybe I am living in a dream world. Or maybe all I want is to make this world like my dream world, and are unsure how to do so... I'm not too sure.

In fact the main reason I kept responding is that I would have thought it rude to say nothing when addressed.

Oh well. I come clean :D

17. PIXIEFIED

PIXIEFIED Member

yeah, but the diffrence between a obviously joke thread and talking about serious issues has to stand out somewhat

18. boothy

boothy Senior Member

Huh? I wasn't joking with my views. I was being completely serious... or is that to cymru_jules? Me's a confuzzled...

19. DoktorAtomik

I always respect a person that can admit when they're wrong :)

If it helps, I certainly agree with you that peaceful options should always be explored first. I certainly wouldn't advocate violence as desirable - just possibly justifiable in a few situations.

20. HappyHippySoldierBoy

HappyHippySoldierBoy Banned

Too be fair, and in contradiction with what I've said before, I've always felt frustrated at any peaceful demo I've been on. The public constantly telling us to "get a fucking job", "Get a fucking life" coupled to the fact that at the end of the day you go home, and generally have achieved very little. A few people will have listened to what you've said and taken it on board, but the majority still view us as the great unwashed, regardless of who we actually are.
    What we need to happen is to get a load of bands together in a park, and all hold hands, because that will make a massive difference and all the governments will listen. :p