newly a vegan

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by veroness, May 7, 2007.

1. veroness

veroness There's only one :)

so im glad to say i have been avoiding any type of animal by products for 5 days now and i like it. theres only one thing. i cant stop eating. i eat so many veggies and fruits through out the day i cant seem to get full. i had a sandwich with tomato and lettuce with tofurkey slices along with an avocado ad quaker rice cake things. i love not having anything to do with the harming of animals and all but does anymoe know what kinds of food fill ya up?

2. gratefulvegan

gratefulvegan Member

Sounds awesome- I'm vegan too and know what you mean. I would recommend trying out some mushrooms (they will fill you up) and some potatoes (you can bake em' or whatever). I generally have a lot of chocolate SILK soy milk (which is very filling). Peanut butter is also filling. ALSO, if you have any connection to a Whole Foods I would recommend trying out their replication meats. TRUST me on this- if you can get a hold of this stuff called Grain Meat co. they make this unbelievable sausage that I have all the time. If you cook it with like a tomato sauce and put it on bread it's amazing. Honestly you need to look into those sorts of products for sure...Amy's makes the best burgers (the texas one is by far my fav.) you can get some "fakin' bacon" and slap it on there to fill you up real well.

Just to let you know this is pretty much my eating schedule:
    Breakfast: choc. soy milk with a lender's bagel (put some olive oil and salt on it)
    Lunch: pbnJ with water
    Dinner: I mix it up a lot (pizza w/o cheese, that sausage, tofu, spinach, whatever you can get)

GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

3. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

did u recently stop eating meat or just animal by-products? I know when I stopped eating meat about 3 years ago I ate constantly. My body had to adjust. Your body is used to high calorie foods most likely. Give it time and you will adjust and you will be healthier! gratefulvegan gave good advice! I'm slowly working my way to being vegan, but I'm poor and it's close to impossible to eat completely vegan living on the money I have these days.

4. Avocado Noni

Avocado Noni Member

This is actually a very important question. Vegan diets are usually almost entirely starchy carbohydrates(bread,pasta,potatoes,grains, etc.) which are NOT filling foods. Starchy foods are pulverized and they digest easily and quickly, leaving you hungry within an hour after you eat them.

I can eat a whole bag of potatoe chips but I still won't feel full sometimes, cuz it's so demineralized and your body will keep triggering hunger signals cuz it's craving nutrition. No starch will really ever fill you up for a long period of time.

It's alo extremely important to understand that food that has no nutrition, creates over-eating and food cravings.

Foods that fill you up that are healthy and full of nutrients would be fatty globular foods like avocado and olives. Nuts and seeds(hemp,sunflower,pumpkin,walnuts,almonds,pecans,cashews,etc.etc.etc.), and cold pressed oils(olive, hemp, flax and coconut are the best) are also great.

Those are really the most ideal fat/calorie sources in any diet. A lot of them are complete protein sources too, like all the whole seeds and nuts.

Vegetables are also filling since their so nutritious. And if you can get some raw cacao beans or yerba matte tea at your health food store, the mao inhibitors will help you shut your appetite off. And raw cacao is very fatty with good fat too.

5. turtlefriend

turtlefriend Member

6. veroness

veroness There's only one :)

ive been a vegetarian for two years in december. not eating meat and finding filling food was easy but i ate a lot of dariy and was a cheese crazy person hence my italian background. but i found this risotto stuff that was very filling but i ended up eating the whole box within a 3 hour period. also my brother and sister keep on eating the food i buy along with meat so i dont always get a chance to try everything i buy. i do like them eating it because maybe they could make the same dicision that i chose with out my saying anything, lol. those tofurkey slices were good and filling with a sandwich but i kinda got tired of eating it for lunch everyday and too much soy isnt good for you like too much of anything isnt good. i got a long way to go into figuring out a good meal plan but i guess i can just give it time. i do love not being apart of harming animals though which makes this all worth it!

7. green faerie

green faerie m L e

i'm not a vegan but i would suggest eating beans (black beans are my personal favorite) and cereals, oatmeal, oat bran, things like that with a fair bit of fiber. you'll stay full much longer. dont start eating lots at once though, kinda work more fiber into your diet gradually so you dont get really...um...gassy. i'm not an expert nutritionist or anything but thats just my suggestion.

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

fiber and fat, as most posts have said.
    look to see what might also be comfort cravings, if you see this journey as "giving up", you might subconsciously feel deprived.
    Find a new favorite dish, or cuisine style and use it as your "reward," if this is the case.

9. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

I was thinking more fiber & fat too. I tend to eat an awful lot of raw fruits & veggies; especially during the warmer months, and a handful of sunflower seeds in my salad or some peanut butter spread on a rice cake will cure the food cravings faster than anything!
    love,
    mom