New Zealand to ban military style semi-automatic weapons...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ajay0, Mar 24, 2019.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

True, I may have forgotten a lot of things. I don't remember if I said, "I didn't answer you about how the lack of a pistol grip would affect a mass shooting as there isn't any data on that one way or another." But so what if I did. It's true. You can't measure that as each mass shooting is a separate event. You can't run an experiment on that subject. But that has nothing to do with the fact that pistol grips allow better acquisition of targets under rapid fire and are a military accoutrement, unneeded by civilians.

Now if you want to set up an experiment to determine if a pistol grip has a function, or allows easier targeting, or reduces muzzle rise, etc. Fine. That's been done. That's why the military uses pistol grips on many of their long guns.

2. MeAgain

There are no civil liberties that guarantee you the right to a pistol grip or to any specific weapon.

3. storch

storch banned

You don't have to remember saying it. I distinctly remember you saying exactly that. And you're right, it is true. There is no data. You have no basis for your irrational fear of a pistol grip. You've simply arbitrarily decided that murderers who kill more than three or four people at a time do so in a rapid-fire manner. You have nothing to show in support of that notion. Provide documentation that mass murderers fire so fast that without a pistol grip, their accuracy would be affected in any meaningful way.

4. storch

storch banned

No no no. There are no civil liberties that guarantee you the right to ban pistol grips on semiautomatic rifles based on your unfounded fear of them.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  5. MeAgain

I don't fear pistol grips, I fear those who think they have the right to demand their views superseded the views of a majority of the public, and those who feel that their desires for destructive toys have more value than the life of a small child in a school classroom.

I fear those who demand impossible data because they have no rational argument to back up their position.
    I fear those who think that the Constitution gives them the right to do anything they want without regard for others.
    And I fear those who demand they have access to any type of weapon just because they think they know better than the courts and their elected officials while their follow citizens are being shot in the streets, bars, and schools in mass attacks.

I fear those who won't give up a pistol grip on a rifle even if doing so has any change, however small, of saving one innocent life.

6. storch

storch banned

I fear those whose obsession with a pistol grip causes them to make up shit about the lives that would have been saved if only the godawful pistol grip didn't exist. Pretty silly in light of the fact that you have nothing to back it up with except for your obsessive say so.

I fear the person who believes that someone should knock on my door and demand that I hand over my pistol. That would be you. And just for the sake of argument, let's assume that you had your way, and every gun that had the capacity to fire more than six shots were confiscated from the owners. And let's reasonably assume that after that, people will still be shooting other people. There is no doubt that according to the direction of your thinking and reasoning, you will be beating your drum to drum up support for the confiscation of every gun that isn't a single-shot because it will save a life. And when people continue to shoot each other with those single-shots, you'll be making the case for confiscating those, too.

7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I feel like we've forgotten why it's important for America to be talking about this. smh

8. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

That is incorrect. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms guarantees me the right to anything that there is no compelling government interest in restricting.

Since there is no compelling government interest in restricting pistol grips, the Right to Keep and Bear Arms protects my right to have pistol grips on a rifle if I so choose.

9. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

Is it because our civil liberties are vital to our freedom?

10. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

That means fearing everyone who supports the Constitution.

Civil liberties always trump the will of the majority in the United States.

Gun control doesn't have anything to do with saving lives. The left pushes gun control solely because they enjoy violating people's civil liberties.

Likewise, defeating gun control does not cost any lives. All we do is preserve civil liberties.

"That there is no actual reason for banning assault weapons" is a rational argument.

The request for data is simply a reasonable request that the left back up their own claims.

What does "without regard for others" mean?

Things like murder and assault are crimes. No one (that I know of) is claiming the right to commit such crimes.

But we certainly have the right to disregard the left when they demand unjustifiable restrictions on guns.

What does "any type of weapon" mean? Restrictions are allowed if they can be justified.

We do indeed have the right to have any type of weapon that there is no justification for restricting.

"If" is a pretty important word here. Can anyone make a case that restricting pistol grips on rifles will save even a single life?

storch likes this.
  11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I literally cannot see it making any difference. I don't even understand the argument.

Besides, appropriate finger posture on the trigger itself I believe has more to do with accuracy than where your palm sits.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

You shouldnt have to be disingenuous to prove a point. If you find yourself bring disingenuous you should stop and reconsider your point.

eggsprog and Tyrsonswood like this.
  13. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

No disingenuousness. If the reason for banning pistol grips on rifles is anything other than the joy of violating people's civil liberties, then what is that alternative motivation?

14. MeAgain

You do realize that laws can be changed?

15. MeAgain

I have no idea what this means.
    So you assume anyone who disagrees with you enjoys violating the Constitution?
    We already have gun control.
    It's not even an argument, let alone a rational argument. It's a statement.
    What claims?
    That means that there are many people who couldn't give a shit about people getting killed by guns as long as they get to own one.
    So what's your point?
    Disregard anything you like.
    The problem is you want to be the one who justifies.
    See above.
    Can you make the case that it won't? If you can't and if you're not willing to get rid of something that has little value, according to Storch, just on the off chance that it might save one little life...then you are awful selfish and cold hearted.

I own guns, none of which are assault style weapons. I own no long guns with pistol grips, barrel shrouds, or any other military style enhancements.
    There is no need for these weapons in civilian hands...none.

16. storch

storch banned

You are misrepresenting my position. I've told you more than once that the pistol grip is an ergonomical improvement. Your cognitive dissonance when it comes to pistol grips is causing you to block out what I tell you.

So, once again, you say that I should have no problem with banning pistol grips since I say that they don't add what you call "deadliness" to a rifle. The point of opposing your obsessive fear of pistol grips is so that we don't allow you and your unfounded fears to dictate what should and should not be banned. Humoring you by acquiescencing to your hysteria concerning pistol grips will only encourage you and others like you to take your paranoia even further because that's how paranoia works. And besides, I don't owe you anything; least of all validation of your unfounded fears.

You're just another obsessed person who confuses rifle style with rifle function because it feeds your obsession. And even handguns are on your list of obsessions. You want the authorities to knock on my door and take my gun. You have a problem.

EDIT: This post is a response to something I quoted from Meagain post, but it came up as something quoted from Irminsul.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Thats not what you said though. You said the left pushes gun control for the joy of violating civil liberties. Surely you know thats disingenuous and makes light of gun violence.

Asmodean and MeAgain like this.
  18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't remember writing that, sorry.

19. I must interject... Why are y'all discussing pistol grips when that isn't even the big issue?

Does anyone really believe that if you ban pistol grips this will solve the problem of gun violence? It seems superfluous to me.

Like, if a shooter didn't have a pistol grip, he'd just be firing haphazardly at the sky and ground. Of course there are things that make guns easier to shoot. They're pretty much engineered to be able to shoot well, right? So, the big issue is gun control itself, and banning assault rifles.

MeAgain likes this.
  20. storch

storch banned

I'm not surprised that you remain clueless concerning Toggle's question. He's asking you for some evidence or documentation that a pistol grip on a rifle results in more deaths. I asked you for the same thing. I'll assume that you have nothing in that regard but your own obsessive and baseless say so.