New Year's Eve Traditions

Discussion in 'Hip News' started by ~Zen~, Dec 28, 2022.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Globally we have been celebrating New Year's for thousands of years, since some one invented the calendar.

Here in Mexico we have some fun traditions!

If you want to travel in the new year, get out your wheeled suitcase and drag it around the block at midnight. You are definitley going places next year!!!

If you wish for money then wear yellow underwear.

At midnight if you eat 12 grapes in time with the chimes of the hour then you will be blessed with happiness.

What about in your area???

2. Echtwelniet

Echtwelniet Members

[​IMG]
    Not allowed anymore, except for scheveningen/duindorp.

Still celebrate it outside,but a lot less fun these days......getting old :D

Mzzls

Toker, wyldwynd and ~Zen~ like this.
  3. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

I always try to break my resolutions as much as I am able to especially on New Year’s Eve *grins*

I have no traditions other then try try to stay up till midnight since most nights I am in bed by eight

Of course a nice gathering of family and friends is always nice …

Toker, ~Zen~ and Echtwelniet like this.
  4. ~Zen~

I remember New Year's in Amsterdam several years was quite INSANE.

One year I saw a large (5 cubic meters) wire cage being dragged into the Nieuwmarkt and set in place. The crowd was already going crazy and gunpowder filled the air in drifting choking clouds.. what we were doing there was crazy :)

Then they lit the fuses and one after another the fireworks tied all over the cage went up in a HUGE blazing cube of fire, explosions and smoke. Windows were shattered nearby from the blast. People were literally blown over, only to get up cheering for MORE!

The next year I was smart (I thought) to stay away from the Centrum at home in the Watergrafsmeer. Well, with the Hells Angels campground across the canal at the end of the street, and every kid in the dorp smoking cigarettes to light firecracker after firecracker, ash cans, cheery bombs, and more... all up and down the streets, from the roof tops, the backyards and walled compounds... it was a crazy night then also... but it went on for days!!!!

5. wyldwynd

Sounds like I need to go to Amsterdam for New Years!

~Zen~ likes this.
  6. ~Zen~

I think they have toned it down a bit since the wild 1990s... sad. But people were getting hurt. They also go nut for fireworks in Mexico...geez. Just heard a cherry bomb go off in the street as I write this.

wyldwynd likes this.
  7. wyldwynd

Everyone loves bringing in a new year !

rattling pots and pans …blowing off fireworks…singing out loud…dancing….ahhh and kissing *smooch*

~Zen~ likes this.
  8. ~Zen~

Sounds fun to me!!!

wyldwynd likes this.
  9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Go to bed at 10:30 and hope some moron doesn't start shooting at midnight...

10. ~Zen~

There is that... out there in the woods it is quite vexing. One panics and hopes no one is being mauled by a bear or intruder of another sort.

Usually it's the well-known yahoo down the lane who has too many guns and is decidely short on brains.

We had plenty in Northern California, not to mention the green hills of Kentucky.

11. ~Zen~

Here the neighbors are preparing for fiesta grandes... awnings are popping up in the yards - Walmart was too packed to even enter...and delivery trucks are plying the barrios dropping off caseloads of beer and food.

I believe tubas will be played until dawn and beyond for the next week, at least...until January 6th the offical last day of Christmas.

12. Christina047

Christina047 Newbie

Everyyear I like to watch Earthcam and watch the news years celebrations in real time in the time zones as they come up (I am in the pacific time zone). It starts the year off giving me the sense of how much we are alike and how new years transcends cultural differences. For the one day, it feels like everyone is united.

bry75, Toker and ~Zen~ like this.
  13. ~Zen~

I am glad you get that feeling of universal oneness :)

We should all experience more of that !!!
    [​IMG]

Christina047 likes this.
  14. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

This is the South; we celebrate New Year's just like we do any holiday; with getting drunk, firearms, and explosives.

ptsd.jpg

16. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Sorry Zen,..... I am not going to travel to Trafalgar Square and jump in the fountains for you. :D:D

PS.
    Candy may be up for it. :)

~Zen~ likes this.
  17. bry75

bry75 Members

Me too

18. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Happy New Year

19. Josephinelcajon

Josephinelcajon Joseph

I pretty much do as any other day except intentionally not going anywhere. 50/50 chance I stay up watching TV. The Rose Parade is what I look forward to every year!

Toker likes this.
  20. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter