new to the forums

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by Day Dreamer, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

I've been looking for a site like this for a while, and Hip forums seems very promising.

On a side note, I'm very interested in the counter-culture movement of the 1960's, if anyone knows any good (and unbiased, i want to know the good and the bad) books on the subject, I'd be very thankful.

2. billhicksrulez

billhicksrulez Member

Beatgeneration, but I think that if you are interested in that time and culture you already know a lot about that. If you don't: Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, William Burroughs, Timothy Leary(hehe), Ken Kesey.
    But now that I read your post more carefully, I see you asked for books about them in stead of from them, hmm.
    -the rolling stone: Book of the Beats
    edited by Holly George-Warren
    -And biographies of the people listed above ;)

3. JohnStossel

JohnStossel Member

Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
    by Tom Wolfe

4. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

Well, the books written during the 60's probably deal more with theory and politics and as such are too detailed to be a effective start in my studies. I would first prefer to gain a overall perspective of the counter-culture movement through books written after the fact. Corect me if I'm wrong.

Also, thanks for the quick reply.

5. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

one other thing, i notice that my title below my name is "Guest."How do I move up from the Guest level?

6. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

the guest thing goes away when you get 50 posts(i believe, not really sure, it was 100...think it was bumped down to 50 tho). after 50 posts, it will say member.

7. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

It's an amazing site and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.. it's awesome.. just check out all the forums and you will always find something interesting happening..