New To Dreadlocks, Salon Butchered My Hair?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Yuzanaki, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Yuzanaki

Yuzanaki Members

Hi, I'm new to dreads and just had my done at a salon (Which I'm starting to regret) they did the back comb and twist method it's been two weeks and they feel like they're falling apart, not knotting well and generally feel like they're just twisted hair held with wax, they felt like thin candles until I took a hair dryer and some paper towels to get some of it out. I've been palm rolling every morning after waking up and wearing a dread cap (Loose hat I might add) to keep them clean, but I feel like my early journey has already begun and doomed to fail, I'm just wondering if anyone can shed some light on these, should I continue and ride it out and continue going to the salon, or pull them out? They initially used beeswax but I swapped to knottyboy, I haven't washed them yet when I ask for advise all they tell me is patience and lots of wax, I'm more than happy to be patient but don't want my potential dreads to be ruined so early on. I've attached some pictures, I also have some dreadlock shampoo bar but havent yet used it. I haven't palm rolled them today yet.
    I don't know much about dreads and put my faith in the salon which from what I've read seems to of been a bad decision, is my hair expected to be this way after 2 weeks or am I wasting my time? If they're bad are they salvageable? I feel like I should wash them, get some of the wash out leave the roots cause they're kinda knottty and twist and rip the rest of the hair.
    http://imgur.com/ZRefGHs
    http://imgur.com/eoaIoBK
    http://imgur.com/MCEEVI4
    http://imgur.com/EaPAAQm

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Lookin' good! I would still keep going to that salon. Perhaps it requires more than one visit!

3. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

For just starting out they look fine. I started with backcomb and wax but gave it up quickly. It is a slow process that takes time and patience. When I first got them started you could hardly tell that I had them.

C/S,
    Rev J

4. Silverthorne

Silverthorne Members

Hey new to dreads dude, fortunately for me I found that I needed answers before I go totally dreaded. The first thing that I see is your stylist is a ditz (for want of a worse name and I don't want to be kicked off the forum) I am a school trained hairdresser now retired to style only my friends hair and the sectioning of your hair sucks it needed to be smaller more manageable. Send a message to Knotty Boy Dan up there is a weath of good info. find someone who has dreads already and go from there put yourself in his or her hands to basically start nearly over. That is the direction that I am planning to follow when I actually do start again. Good luck find a facebook list for dreads in your area and lock into them. Here in Eugene Oregon it is not that hard to find great dreads in a style that you might like. Think about where you are headed. I look into a guys eyes and think, well you are looking pretty feral dude but the eyes are telling me a story another that I found looks really expensive and civilized with a wild hair type eyes. I have a full Golden Eagle tattoo back - arms - head so the idea that I want is to section my hair inside each feather and then draw my dreads to the back and low like a pony tail using side hair in longer dreads to keep that back locked together.

Jaene Hoku likes this.