new study on marijuana does this effect anyone?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Tommy1The1Cat, May 1, 2007.

1. Tommy1The1Cat

Tommy1The1Cat Senior Member

i heard this new study that marijuana makes people become paranoid all the time, extreme delusions, and hallucinations out of nowhere. I dont know about u guys but i do not know anyone that this has happened to. Not effecting me at all. Is this happening to any of you?

2. smokindude

smokindude Senior Member

nah man its all bullshit

3. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

sounds like schizophrenia.. and well marijuana, along with any other drug that effects the mind can trigger schizophrenia.. but will not make someone schizophrenic.. just triggers it if it was more or less sitting dormant ... i wonder sometimes if i have a slight case of schizophrenia.. because ever since smoking weed and everything else in between.. sometimes i'll have severe cases of paranoia and think i'm hearing things.. sometimes seeing things.. its scary at times

4. floydianslip6

floydianslip6 Senior Member

There is a new study that suggests a link between heavy marijuana use and certain kinds of dementia and schizophrenia, but I wouldn't be too concerned, unless maybe there's a history of it in your family, and even then, you'll probably get it anyway so what's the dif.

5. pianoperson60

pianoperson60 Senior Member

the main thing the article says which I read today, if thats the one youre talking about, which I think it is, hehe, is that weed is bad for epople who are schizophrenic and that it can make them psychotic.

wow.

who gives a fuck? I mean, I myself would probably suggest not having someone schizophrenic do any pyschedelic drugs, thats just stupid.,

6. Infinite Sky

Infinite Sky Member

It's thought that the 'unmasking' effect that marijuana seems to have on certain perceptual disorders (de-realization, de-personalization, paranoid sympotoms, ect.) is merely an alternative way to bring about something that the person is already hopelessesly pre-disposed to. In other words, it's entirely possible that people who end up depersonalized from smoking a joint would have eventually picked up the condition somewhere down the road due to anything from a failed relationship to a mid-life crisis.

7. SirTokesAlot

SirTokesAlot Lives

Im interested to know where you heard about this study

8. 420fuchs

420fuchs speaks the truth.

Theres always a new scare tactic, I don't want to hear about it.

9. forwardventure

forwardventure Member

My mom read me an article on this this morning. There were 15 participants in the study...

10. forwardventure

forwardventure Member

anyways...haven't we all heard all along that marijuana can aggravate mental illness? Lots of things can. It can also help. I've been able to get off of all mood stabilizers and anti-depressants by regular use of marijuana. I'm not alone. My uncle and brother have done the same, as I'm sure countless others have. I'm sure it'll be years before we here about THAT study though...

11. BudToker

BudToker Senior Member

Marijuana is horrible for you! Stop using it immediatly before I call the cops!

12. Tommy1The1Cat

ya i have schizophrenia in my family but i don't think i have it

13. Tommy1The1Cat

ya its all in someones head

14. stonedmonkiwana

stonedmonkiwana K9 Handler

lol that sounds like some Reefer Madness bullshit to me.

15. sourdiesel06

sourdiesel06 Member

Please refer to the following link: http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7253

'nuff said.

16. Fallout55

Fallout55 Banned

I think I have it...
    Am I going to stop?
    No

I think I triggered mine with shrooms, sleepless nights, months of stress, drinking, E and weed. Did weed cause it no, my lifestyle did.
    also while most people are fine I was always very anxious, had a different way of thinking and many other signs of "mental illness"

17. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

"Although investigators did not assess whether cannabis consumers had greater odds of contracting schizophrenia compared to those who did not have a history of smoking pot, prior reviews have downplayed such an association. Most recently, Britain's Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) concluded in 2006, "For individuals, the current evidence suggests, at worst, that using cannabis increases lifetime risk of developing schizophrenia by one percent.""

1%!.. you probably think 1% aint high... but its still a hole... birth control has a 99% success rate.. but people still get pregnant while using birth control... so.. that 1% still means people can end up with schizophrenia from marijuana use...

18. sourdiesel06

sourdiesel06 Member

"Investigators reported no statistically significant "differences in syptomatology between schizophrenic patients who were or were not cannabis users" after controlling for patients’ age, sex, and ethnicity."

19. Hamfoot

Hamfoot Member

at night the walls crawl

20. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

"statistically significant" obviously in this article means theres not enough evidence to prove that it DOES.. but later in the article it says the 1% chance.. so... there is STILL a chance.. I'm not anti-marijuana by any means.. im just a realist.. but whatever.. im done argueing