new project

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by kinulpture, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

Paint my name on your boat and I'll send you $10.00.

1 person likes this.
  2. indydude

indydude Senior Member

Cool! Sponsers are on board! Just who would be willing to sponsor a Rainbow cruise ship? Doritos, Right Guard, Berkenstocks. lol

3. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

O-b, would this be highway child name? If so, it would be an honour. Rainbow peacefleet watertribes on facebook has offered us a flag. Only 2 other ppl may join in this gig so far. & only of em has a boat by my count. Not much eh? These folks r frm that area. & I,m not sure how far they wish to go. I don't even have a boat meself @ this time. Tho I do currently have a tractor innertube if that counts. it,s not necessary I have a boat, but if one comes along, sure I,d hop aboard.

I,ve likened this venture to "stone soup". Or, "if u build it, they will come". I'm not sure I like the idea of commercial sponsorship, indy. Howmany commercial sponsors has rainbow had, thru the yrs? Not supposed 2 b any. Tho I,m sure it has been quietly done. I,ve thot of lookin into luvin ovens, 2 c exactly how they work. Thars a thread here somewhar. I saw something like that @ piney crk regional in mo several yrs ago. It was more of a wok tho, kinda nifty. Appeared 2 b all family made yet in a factory of sorts, fascinating.

4. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

So, I think that's y rainbo has been successful all these yrs, tho I could be wrong. I just learned recently tho some may dispute it. Rainbow peacefleet is the only survivin consensus frm original council. & frm wot I understand this was before first national. Rainbows on the ocean. I guess being on the water does help, then. I don,t see any commercial junk on their boats. I,ve only seen pics of a few mind u.

But, then tharz dat itty bitty clause known as "all are welcome". So I,m not sure how all commercializin efforts have been dealt with. I,ve never been 2 a natl so I,ve truly no idea how commercial it is if @ all. I guess commercial efforts were gently talked out of it, tho I could be wrong. Roomates airconditioner squeaking izz drivin me bonkers.

5. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

Soo, I finally read luvin oven thread. Interesting idea just carrying a grill around. I've been thinking of ways to cook aboard a boat. Some actually suggested a firepit, & I,ve heard of fireplaces on boats.

Tho it be somewhat hazardous if rough water were encountered. Obvously ezst way would be 2 cook "ashore". But insomecases itmaynot bepossible to dock or beach, or even desired.

I've heard of gimballing bbq grills. I haven't checked these fullyout yet. Just seen vague pics. These r usually kept "outboard" so as to mininize fire hazards. But I've thot something like this could capture heat as well.

6. Olympic-Bullshitter

For stone soup, tractor innertube boats or vessels up to 10 feet maximum would be the ticket.

7. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

as far as I know, the other individual has a kayak. & he,s in this faceboook group called shawnsheee river rats. Which as far as I know has been around awhile. & I'll assume less than 10ft, since most kayaks are. It actually duhzn't matter a whole lot now if this is done in fall. Cuz natls will be in this same area. Yet as well this would be good example. There have been some really expensive ebay houseboats comin up along the route I've noticed. 2 were on kentucky lake, one. She was in tho.shein alabama. I look in other boats section of ebay motors. Been some interesting ones on there. Last year during iowa regional there was a diesel houseboat not far from away, relatively cheap too. Dunno exactly what kinda shape she was in tho. But enuff brains & hands coulda got her 2 kentucky lake even if by land-crawlin. Certainly more cash has been wasted ikn rainbow than a pursuit like that.
    My friend finally sent a note on ning site. Friendly but not informative.

By the way, can u imagine wot deadshows woulda been like on the water? or @least if they woulda been linked. It,d be cool 2 build an amphibious further. Duckw's come up fairly cheap sometimes. Altho retractable wheels would be a bit more fuelwise, tho more complicated. I've several amphibs that couldn't go more than 40 mph on land. That really wouldn,t be bad if one had maps of rural gravel or legal roads.

8. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

Is called www.livinglandsandwaters.org . or com can't remember which. They were @ one point actually donated that barge you see. Talk abt stone soup. They,re great role models.
    They don't seem to be too commercialized too. I think their main focus is education. I think the housing/classroom area on the barge can be removed when they go on cleanups.
    I dunno if I put it on here or not. But when I found out the admiral steamboat was up for sale. Iwas thinkin imagine rainbows gettin ahold of her? But alas she's been scrapped. Woulda been alotta work tho. I saw her on st louis waterfront abt 23 yrs ago when I was pullin a drunk. Then just last yr I saw her on ebay for 1.5 mil. She,d been guttted tho, by then. Her paddlewheels & steamengine were longone. Even her diesels too. Altho she woulda gulped monstrous amts. Woulda been rough huntindown that much vegoil.

Notsure too howell she woulda done on the gulf & icw, tho I could be wrong.

9. Olympic-Bullshitter

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=QzaTEFmlcOg

10. indydude

indydude Senior Member

That be true. No commercial's in Rainbow land. Blows my mind, These days it's corporate everything. How a such a mass gathering like Rainbow can be self supporting is amazing. Turns capitalism on its head!!!
    I saw a cool contraption that was a little hibachi round grill that was clamped to a post connected to the grill so if coals fell out they'd go into the water. Solar ovens would be perfect for a boat.
    I dont have a boat yet either. I've been collecting a lot of 'Yaughting', 'Wooden Boat' type mags from the Salivation Army bookstore and reading biography novels by sailors. I want to be able to make a wise choice when I do buy my first real boat. Right now I'm shopping for around a 18ft. sail boat that I can learn the fundamentals of sailing. Before I hit the Carribian or coast's or Great Lakes I want to be confident I know what I'm doing. I've grew up on lakes and rivers and know canoe, kayak, ski boats. Sailing in deep water is a whole different ballgame.

11. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

pretty good o-b. infact one of the reasons this concept hasn`t been launched isn`t for lack of funds. i`ve never spanged in my life, i`d starve first. & have starved many times cuz i didn`t spange. as i`ve said b4 i`ve witnessed a whole town take spangers side & run the street musicians off in favor of spangers. i protested it.

12. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

this was chapel hill nc. i dunno how long that lasted hopefully not too long cuz it`s decent town other than back bendin liberalism.

13. Olympic-Bullshitter

When messing around in boats one needs a good sense of humor, patience and adaptability.

14. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

actually i saw that houseboat on ebay m8. was this the boat in south carolina? didnt see the name pluckebaum anywhere tho. havent tried google search yet.

15. Olympic-Bullshitter

Inspite of the selfless work of the Salvation Navy, many harbors are still filled with "bum-boats" and "drifters" who "kedge" handouts, usually with some plaintive cry like, "Can you spare ten dollars for a pint of bottom paint?" There is no sadder sight than a yachtsman who has touched bottom, but sometimes a few hearty words of encouragement are enough to put him back on his sea legs, ready to set a course for self-respect. "Listen, kelpface," you might cry good-naturedly the next time you are accosted by one of these individuals, "why don't you get a job as a piling? There's no charge for the creosote, and if you don't mind sea gulls doing numero duo on your noggin, you're home free!" Remember, the sailing fraternity looks after its own.

16. indydude

indydude Senior Member

LMAO! When I'm ready to buy my sailing ship I'll wander around harbors looking for Miss Right.

17. Olympic-Bullshitter

Simply send an email to shipreports@starpath.com with your latitude and longitude in decimal degrees in the first line of the body of the message, and you will get the report back by return mail. Keep in mind that the first line should be blank other than your location. They also offer a free barometer calibration service at www.starpath.com/barometers.

18. GHOSTCRAB

GHOSTCRAB Banned

Free dockage at city dock, limited power and water. Historic small town, restaurants and shops. What are your favorite out -of-the-way spots along the route to ocala?

19. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

Hi ghost, indy, ob, et al. questions & maybe some answers here. First off: on most locks on our inland waterways. Specifically the tennessee & tenn-tom waterways. Is there a fee for going thru locks? & if one were in a smaller craft can one go-thru a lock for free if One is tied to a larger craft. & I'm wondering too how large of a motor can a tied up dinghy have while still being free? I helong ago motors up to to 9.9 hp can be considered non-motorized. & in my experience this is rather powerful propulsion system.

By the way ghost thx 4 mentioning ocala. Where exactly would one start if one wishes 2 travel north. From the forest? Let's a boat &/or fleet hitches ride to silver river state park. Ow many dams are there betw that & icw? & are there locks? Is there better route? On another note if a boat or fleet were to come from the west 2 ocala & wanted 2 to say, avoid goin around okechobee waterway, how far up cross florida canal can one go? All the way to rainbow springs state park? It seems like a portage to silver river would be far more economical than okechobee. Obviously tho, larger craft are impossible if not difficult &/expensive 2 trailer even this short distance.

But smaller craft i'd think could be portaged. & I'll go out on a limb & say the distance is approx 15-25 mi. That's not a bad distance really even if walking, hauling a boat were only means. I've thot would be adventurers could haul along some kinda motor-driven unicycle 4 this. Or some kinda rear drive. The simpler the better. Here's. A good craft 4 doin this: www.sealegs.com . Altho I'mn't enritely sure I'm comfortable w/ inflatable craft. & id kinda want something with a bit sharper prow. That re relatively short distance is virtually the only thing I can see in doin a whole shortcutted great loop. The other portion would be the chesepeake & ohio canal. This being a natl park doesn't allow motorized watercraft. But electrics r allowed on on certain portions of it. Further research woud research would reveal how far. The canal is approx 180 miles, supposedly linking as the the name implies chesepeake bay & ohio rvr. & there is free overnite camping. Not sure yet on exact dimensions of craft r allowed & elec motor size. Perhaps if some1 were lucky enuf 2 stumble upon roadawgs willing to row, pedal, paddle, or pedal a boat a boat this distance, help thru the canal would be beneficial 2 both pties. & I wonder if a higher powermotor could be "smuggled thru the cnanal. This 2 say if the limit on an elec were under 9.9hp. Which it most likely is. Most likely 2 when one gets 2 verymuch nonmotorized section smaller is then "cargo".

20. GHOSTCRAB

GHOSTCRAB Banned

Good, sheltered anchorage and many marinas. West Marine, restaurants, grocery store, mall, laundromat and bus stop within walking distance. Cumberland Island (Intracoastal waterway between georgia and florida state line) owned by federal park service. Not far from St. Mary's or Fernandina. To south on the ICW is St. Augustine. Kinulpture will have his own favorite cruising spots that few know about.