New Orléans

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by Duncan, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I just saw an episode of 60 MINUTES in which they were discussing whether the City of New Orléans should just be evacuated permanently. I feel somewhat saddened by the fact that I have never visited Louisiana or that magnificent city.
    Does anyone think they'd ever like to go there? Has anyone ever been?

2. seaofgreen

seaofgreen Member

hey duncan. I have been there several times over the years and it was always a fun place. So much history and so many people who seem to live to party. I stayed in meterie for several months one time which is just a short ride to the city. The down town area is great. lots of people, lots of noise, lots of really cool bars. I seem to remember lots of taxis down town that everyone used to go for a few blocks. Ialso seem to remember that you could go into a 7-11 type store and get a slurpee with alchohal in it! I had a blast every time Ive ever been. Once was during mardi gra but the other times were at different times of the year. It was wild regardless of the time of year.

3. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

Fuck it! I live Uptown. We're staying. Even if it happened all over again in '06' we'll still be back. Besides, nowadays you party in the streets, not just on the sidewalks. It's pretty fun. The fun is killing me. Not Katrina.

4. Micha

Micha Now available in Verdana!

That would make me so so sad...

I fucking love that city..

5. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Member

I hear that. I'm originally from St. Charles parish. Though I live far away from NOLA now, I still feel the pain when I think about Katrina-ravaged NOLA. It'll take awhile, but New Orleans will come back.

We always have.

6. tricknologist

tricknologist menace to sobriety

I was temporarily forced to move to Jefferson Parish. But, I'm not going anywhere.

7. uproar

uproar Member

I live in NOLA, and have for the past 4-5 years. I grew up in Gulfport, MS, where my family still lives. My boyfriend and I actually rode Katrina out at my mom's house, which was quite the adventure, to be sure.

We came back to NOLA in mid-October after Katrina. It was still fairly deserted even then...we live in sort of a weird neighborhood....it's surrounded by areas that got lots of water but this one little area is a big higher, so we didn't really get any damage, thank goodness. It was creepy being there at first, surrounded by total blackness from the deserted neighborhoods. We didnt have a fridge or gas to cook with or heat anything for about the first month that we were back. Luckily most of the French Quarter was operational, so we ate there a lot.

8. bkcmar

bkcmar keep those feet bare

I agree with you completely. I have resided in the French Quarter for 19 years. I love this city. Even Katrina could not force me to leave. I rode out the storm. I left on Southern Decadence day because I was running out of cash. I snuck back into town 3 days later. I endured 25 days without power and 9 days without water. I know I can endure fucking anything now. This city will rebound, keep the faith.
    Peace and love to all [​IMG].

9. SouthernGal<3

SouthernGal<3 Member

If America looses New Orleans, shortly after America will fall, I am sure of it. I can’t really explain it; I guess you have to live down here for a while to understand it. But New Orleans is just DIFFERENT. I evacuated to Florida, I had to, we wanted to stay, and we were going to stay. We had hotel reservations at the Hyatt, and if anything got bad there we would just walk to the superdome, LOL. But Saturday night, ray nagin came on the 11 O’clock news. He basically said "GET THE FUCK OUT" My Mom, sister, and I decided we had to go. We always rode the storms out, but this time, I don’t know, I had a strange and foreboding feeling about this one. So we left late on Sunday. Went to Baton Rouge, that was fun, NOT. 2 days latter we learned our house got 12 feet of water, I lived in a dinky double one story in Lakeview. We were poor as hell before the storm, after we were poor and homeless, LOL. Went to Florida, god that was scary. You got honked at and flicked off b/c your license plate has a different state on it. They hate outsiders. Lots of my neighbors died of stress after the storm. We now live in the wonderful Mid city area. I will NEVER leave again, I rather drown. Death is better than knowing I can't go back to my NOLA. When in Florida, I felt like I was drowning, felt like I was dying. That phrase “Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans” is very significant. It is the worst feeling I have ever felt. Maybe that is why Nola is so different; most ppl I know would rather die than be anywhere ells, that’s how special Nola is.

10. polarclaire

polarclaire Member

Yeah I live uptown and even if uptown ever floods Im staying in a little boat I'm never letting New Olrwnas down

11. mk_Finky

mk_Finky Member

i live in chalmette about 10 min away

12. wasteoflife

wasteoflife Member

i live in pensacola, its like 3 hours from nola. i love going there and getting really fucked up and walking the streets talking to people.

13. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

The core of New Orleans remains as magical and seductive as ever. The visual delights of the remarkable French Quarter and Garden District remain. And then there's the food.Keep a close eye on cameras, purses, and wallets, all favorite targets of thieves and pickpockets.

14. Oh So strangE indeeD

Oh So strangE indeeD Member

I go to school down here and as long as my school is open, I'll be in this city. It'll take alot more than a hurricane to tear us away. It is hard though for business owners to take weeks off of work and possibly (with perishable foods) lose their stock. Most people I know down here are die-hard new orleans residents and won't leave as long as they can live here and still prosper

15. Therese Aline

Therese Aline Slave to the man

I grew up in Louisiana. When I was 13 my dad got a job in Florida and I could not believe he was asking me to leave. I never imagined a day where I'd leave and to this day I miss it. 13 years seem like such a short time, especially when half that was spent as a barely cognizant child, but that place. There is something about it. I hate to think that there'll be a time when I'll have been away longer than I was ever there. It was good for me to leave though, it wasn't until I left did I see that my life had to change and I made that change happen, but one day I will live there.
    Some people hate it, I don't know why. My dad lived there all his life, almost 50 before he left. He says he'll never go back and has no desire to. My siblings feel the same, it's so strange. My sister was so excited to move. They practically had to drag me. Lol. Don't get me wrong, I like Alabama. I like living here, and I'd hate to leave my friends and I want to stay for awhile. But maybe when I'm married or something, some time way down the road I'll go back.

16. Micha

Micha Now available in Verdana!

why don't we just permanently evacuate kansas.. they have lots of tornadoes.. or the virgin islands..they get smashed by hurricanes all the time.. california has mudslides and fires..
    where would they go?

17. LAGROWN

LAGROWN Guest

i live in new orleans and i will never leave no matter what. its been wonderful to me since i was born and im going to stay and show my city love.

18. samson

samson Hepcat

my fave American city, i have to laugh at the idea of abandoning a place that was cool even before it was an American city! It will be one of the greatest party cities on earth until the oceans swell over the entire Mississippi River delta.

If you have not been, you must go or you are missing out.

19. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

:cheers2:

New Orleans has been destroyed many times, and has always come back better than ever. Hurricanes, floods, fires, war, disease, you name it.

New Orleans is perfect because it doesn't give a FUCK. If you don't know how to party, go down there and get educated on the fine art of living like there's no tomorrow.

20. hypernovax

hypernovax Member

this thread is pretty inactive =(

sup guys?