New Jersey Governor

Discussion in 'Gay News' started by socks, Aug 12, 2004.

1. socks

socks Member

i posted this in another forum already, but this seemed like an equally, if not more appropriate forum.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/12/mcgreevey.nj/index.html

i just think it's sad that he resigned. he was in the position to do so much good, and benefit from this, as well as provide others with a chance to benefit. but it's obviously an extremely strenuous personal situation, so, yes...

2. Mui

Mui Senior Member

hey socks, ive missed ya.

Damn that is really sad... he shouldnt have to resign... affairs are not uncommon... i bet the majority of the world has gone through cheating relationships before...

he could have done so much good :(

3. socks

socks Member

aw, you noticed i was gone! (it's because i have a crush on mui)

oh well, he had such leverage to be productive. even if he was a shitty governor on some fronts, but could have done a lot of good with this... not saying sexuality is a tool, but i mean, there are many women in government who are huge women's rights advocates (not making a blanket statement, just making a comment) and i think he could have done the same thing, but with homosexuality..

4. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I'm so shocked reading about the news - I'm a registered New Jersey voter, and I voted for Jim McGreevey when he won election in 2001. Unfortunately, I don't do a great job of following New Jersey politics, but I do know McGreevey has had some problems while in office. But I wish he didn't resign, although I do know it would have been difficult for him to stay in office.

5. socks

socks Member

i'm highly disappointed that more people were not interested in this, as (in my mind), this is truely a 'gay issue'... it's odd that very few people cared about the impact, or the situation itself.

-andrew

6. rocknroll_girl

rocknroll_girl Member

I suppose it's a "gay issue" in that he's gay, but it's hardly groundbreaking politically.

He didn't resign because he was gay, correct? I thought the central reason was the controversy surrounding the affair - apparently the man was placed in a position of authority not long after the relationship began. I may be wrong, however.

It is unfortunate he resigned, but at least it draws national attention to the fact that YOUR FREAKIN STATE GOVERNOR could be gay, just like your neighbor or your sister.

The mayor of Providence, my glorious city, is openly gay. He does wonderful things for the GLBT community. I agree that it's sad, now that I think about it.

7. socks

socks Member

well, obviously the whole affair thing is nothing to resign over... think about our friend billy clinton... i speculate that he has quite a bit of pressure on him from the democratic party itself... i don't think he should have resigned... there were other possible routes to take with the entire situation, and i think this was, without a doubt, the least effective.

8. Defence_mechanism

Defence_mechanism Member

yeah i heard about that. but i didnt quite catch the story. infact what i thought was a little more catastrophic was the fact that all the same-sex marriages from san fransisco were anulled... all because its state government (sorry, im not too sure about US geography) deemed it 'un-constituional'.

man your country's stuffed up. infact our prime minister just passed the constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages... so our's isnt any better when it comes to gay politics.

9. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Holy "Necro Thread" Batman.....14 Years......A Real "Blast From The Past"......Not That There's Anything

Wrong With That Mind You....... :D

Cheers Glen.