new food pyramid in the usa...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by nimh, Jan 14, 2005.

1. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i think it's a good start. :D eat healthily, be well

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

if only they sources would expand to vegetables over animal products. What if you don't LIKE milk?
    I'm so glad whole grains and movement are included. A twinkie is not a serving of grains..nor is a beer...sorry.

3. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

:confused: It's incomplete. I don't see caffeine or nicotiene on there anywhere.

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

but red wine is reccomended..go fig.
    Where would ganja food fall? sweets? fats?

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

http://www.healthierus.gov/dietaryguidelines/

have you looked thru the info on that link? i havent looked thru very much of it.

my idea of a healthy diet still doesnt look anything like the usda guidelines, but they're starting to encourage more of a whole foods, less processed, more exercise kind of outlook. as you know, there's so much money from the processed foods industries and various other assorted lobbies thrown at projects like these, i think it'll be a loooooooooooong time before we ever see a really healthy looking protocol marketed at the general public.

the new canadian guidelines are supposed to be released soon as well, i'm expecting them to mirror the american pyramid pretty closely as it has in the past.