New Fimo Fan!

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Lilyrayne, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

So I got a couple of packs of Fimo a while back. Never broke into them until now on an ultra-bored snow day... now I'm addicted! It's so fun! It's like being a kid all over again with playdoh, only it's much easier to work with and much nicer quality, and the best part is you can bake your creations. I love it! I have my first pendant baking in the oven right now. I hope it turns out well. I have a second pendant all ready to go.. my next project may be an incense burner. I only have blue and green, I wish I had more colors to work with!

2. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Uhh question tho.. is it normal for the fimo to still be sorta soft when it first comes out of the oven?

3. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

Yea totally.... just leave it to cool and it will harden nicely :)

4. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Thanks! It did harden! yippeeeee

5. ArtLoveMusic

hehe im a fimo fan too :p its addictive :)

6. Hippievixen

Hippievixen Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

yeah, i use lotsa fimo beads in necklaces...

they add a nice touch!

7. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

I love that it doesn't take for-freaking-ever to fire... so you can have your new toys pretty quickly. I'm still recoiling from the hours it took with "normal" clay.

Anyway, what is the best way to make an incense burner with fimo? Should I make it sorta long and flat with a curved end and a hole in it, or make it so that it's a mound or a shape and the stick sticks straight up? What's the best way to create the hole for the stick?

Also, when you are baking holes into things, is it best to leave something in it to keep it from closing up or will the hole stay the same if there is nothing in it?

8. ArtLoveMusic

the hole should stay but it might geta liiiiiiiitle bit smaller :p and aside from that its up to u

9. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

this sounds cool....do you need a special oven for it? how long does it take to cook it up?

10. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Bake it in your own oven, takes like 15 minutes or so I believe... Or that may be sculpey, but close enough... :D

11. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

FIMO is cool, I have a few packs laying around that I've been meaning to make into an ocarina or two... :D

12. weep

weep Senior Member

haha, Fimo. My sister and I used to work with it A LOT when we were kids, we loved it! We really had fun times at our neighbours' doing these little creatures. :)
    (our mom didn´t want the Fimo in her kitchen oven)
    Haven´t done something with it for 13 or 15 years now.

13. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Why was your mom picky about Fimo in her oven?

14. weep

weep Senior Member

I guess it was because of the steam that could have set free from the Fimo, during the baking process, or something.

15. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

fimo releases reallllllllllllllllly toxic gases when it bakes. make sure you're ventilating your house well when you use it, or even better, open all the windows and go outside while it's baking. seriously. when i used to use it, i'd take my cats outside with me, bc i didnt want them breathing in the fumes.

i have some old fimo/sculpy kicking around. i wonder if it's still any good. it's probably at least 6 years old.

16. Cankywanky

Cankywanky Member

17. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

woo!!

i'm in for anything that involves clay and rubber mallets. :D

[​IMG]

ps, thanx for that link!

18. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

So tonight I made my first Fimo incense burner. I have already made two pendants but nothing to really show off I don't think. But I'm proud of the incense burner! Whatcha think?

[​IMG]

19. Cankywanky

Cankywanky Member

That looks so awesome, I'm gonna have to make me one of those sometime.;)

20. urbangal

urbangal Member

Hey those colorful clays that have all the little pictures within the clay..how the Hades is that done? I've been wanting to make a big ol' fimo yin/yang symbol since my last once got messed up.
    Other than that, fimo be cool. Saw some books at michaels on clay thingies but I know I can get those texts cheaper for free (online someplace).

Anyway, check this site out for the coolest little thing! Great for hidding some small stuff or just cause. I might try it when I've placed with some fimo.

http://www.geocities.com/polyzine/december2000/matchbook.html

urby