New Farm Vegetarian Cook Book

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Duncan, May 8, 2022.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook by Louise Hagler ... It's an oldie that I've had in my life since it was published in the mid 1980s. I don't use chili powder, curry, or things that tend to get hot in my mouth. I've been downing a lot of pretty good vegetarian pasta every day (pasta and peas, pasta and beans...) and I remembered that there was a pretty good recipe in this book for texturized vegetable protein (TVP) balls. So I put them together.
    They are a good addition to a tomato based sauce.
    Tofu has been demonized over the years by some. And when those nay-sayers learn what TVP is made of, they will extend their arm and just say, "No," to tofu. Their loss.
    Anyway, I've been eating pretty good this weekend :)

2. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Made Sauerbraten from seitan this evening. The recipe calls for apple juice and cloves so the final product was a bit on the sweet side. I served it over rice. The instructions are a little sloppy; the recipe has for ingredients that are not listed at the beginning and one of the instructions was to roast the seitan until you could smell it. (If it's in a closed oven, how are you supposed to smell it?)