New "energy saving light bulb" sucking dollars out your pocket while asleep

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by David0301, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

You probably mean confirming. Rollingalong isn't really the conforming type :p
    And that they can slightly blink is the only thing that you could be right about. As Relaxxx pointed out very well (which you ignore naturally. Understandable ;)) you were wrong about everything else.
    You should actually give us apologies for all the 'kaka' you dump on here.

rollingalong likes this.
  2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

yes

cheap wattmeters are available on ali express..i have a few they are handy for this purpose

they have a counter that will count total use over time (like overnight)

very common for solar system use

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

streamable would be the easiest

dont need to sign up for anything

Streamable - video for publishers

it stays up for a long time too...VID_20170901_142411555 - Streamable

David0301 likes this.
  4. David0301

David0301 Members

thanks spacemanspiff, i will try that

5. David0301

David0301 Members

i care as much about spelling errors from now on, as much you care about me :hushed:

6. Asmodean

Lol @ from now on :D

7. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

good point.....however....I am aware of these devices....you would need the kind they use in nasa to measure a single flash though...your Chinese meter isn't going to register a static type flash....is it?....I get it may detect and measure a nights worth of flashing...

how I long to read spiffs post that says ''rolling is correct''. :)

8. David0301

David0301 Members

9. David0301

David0301 Members

rolling all along and long and long ...

10. David0301

David0301 Members

you said you like conscious reggae, what artists ?

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

stay on topic folks

and if you dont like their replies...just skip them

12. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I don't know why you are getting so upset. I and other people have explained a number of likely reasons for the flashing and we all agree that they will not activate your meter in such a short time.

Do you REALLY think that a lamp manufacturer would devise an energy saving bulb to make electricity companies all over the world a few cents. You have broken up a perfectly good 13 watt bulb that would last 5 years and replaced it with a 60-100 watt bulb that will need replacing every few months and make the wicked manufacturers even more money. Out of interest, traditional lamps fail at the best point to balance energy costs with light output and replacement costs. Traditionally 1000 hours, the increasing cost of energy has now reduced this to 500, making the manufacturers richer in the process.

At the same time as smashing your light bulb, did you also pulverize your cell phone.? After all, it uses 1000 times more electricity while you are asleep than a flashing lamp.

13. Asmodean

Its not crazy to consider (question everything is a worthy principle). But if there's a better and backed up explanation it may be wise to review your previous conviction or consideration. I would conclude this applies here.
    Some of the replies are quite impressive in how well they explain stuff :)
    Remember: VW lied about the diesel exhaust, also in order to make more money in the end.
    With lightbulbs it may be 2 cents a piece, but that would accumulate in 1000ths of dollars in the end. If it was true of course.
    And don't forget where he disposed of it. Just in the standard trash. Unfortunate decision.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    wilsjane likes this.
  14. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I've been using cfl and flourrecnt light bulbs in my workshop for years and they've work okay, but eventually they need to be replaced and use up electricity. I'm actually going old school and adding windows to get more natural light in the shop now. The light bulb in the sky is free and reliable.

Asmodean likes this.
  15. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

So here's a funny point or two.

I lived in Europe for 10 years... the electricity and wiring there is different from the US.

I also had flickering light bulbs in Spain. I'd get up in the night for water or something and see them flash once in a while to no certain pattern, the locals laughed when I pointed it out.

When I returned to the states, everyone was converting from old-style filament incandescent bulbs to compact fluorescent bulbs (filled with toxic mercury vapor). Sure they used less power, but the ghastly yellowish hue was disturbing, and they did not last as long as promised.

Then just a few years later we are now encouraged to use LED bulbs which are a bit more environmentally friendly, with no toxic gas, and do indeed use way less power use than anything else so far.

The march of progress accelerates as humanity sprawls uncontrollably.

rollingalong likes this.
  16. Asmodean

^
    What did the locals give as the explanation?

17. David0301

David0301 Members

good point

i am against artificial light, i try not to use any.
    at my new place i got bigass glass windows, no buildings in front of me, so the sun is shining through like a mofo.
    when it gets dark i use my sexy romantic red light which the himalayan salt crystal lamps give off , if i switch on a light then only quick to look for something.... or to go piss....or to see some things..... or .....

but yeah, artificial lights have a negative impact on our health. This is one of the reasons i moved from my previous place. Because the owner was a trick , she was so stupid she put a roof above our head, didnt let any sunshine come through. Not only was i wasting electricity bills unnecessary but also harming my health .

peace

18. Asmodean

How dared she. And she probably charged extra money for the roof too right? Babylon at its finest!

19. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

im still waiting for the video

20. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The whole VW issue was an unfortunate shambles, brought about by the fact that Bosch design their injection systems. When tested, Bosch used a DPF (diesel particle filter, but Audi/VW omitted them because they block in cities such as London and on short runs. Bosch PD was a good system, but since the injectors are mechanical, they only discharge once per cycle. EU6, requires additional injection to meet emission requirements so a new common rail system was developed. These now run at 2200 bar and beats the PDs 1050 bar as well as well exceeding the 1600 bar of earlier injection systems.
    Although their was some confusion and misleading information published, VW engines are among the finest in the world. My 1.9L recently returned 76 MPG on a run and regularly achieves 60 MPG (NOT when Jane is driving LOL) My last car did 285,000 miles and was still on it's original clutch, despite mostly city driving.
    New cars now include a DPF that does not block in town. They also use Adblue, which I have thought was a good idea for many years. In the past, cost confined it to military aircraft engines (such as the Harrier)

GLENGLEN and Asmodean like this.