New Egyptian constitution may seek to ban all religious parties from politics

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wolfman's Brother, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Woo, hoo,... I'm an elder, and get that friendly treatment from mu sister on the internet postmaster refusal line disinterestedness in receiving messages about the good ol' Jihad.

Remember the Jihad was about making every act of communication decidedly judged to be or not to be 'selfish'.
    :book:

2. Resistance isn't futile

Resistance isn't futile Member

Yea so they could open up new markets for a McKosher, a Playboy Muslim magazine or even a Harrod's Catholic specialty department store.

I like it better the idea that the state and any other self-righteous stateman pratt keeps their noses out of what moral foundations and belief system someone teaches their children.

3. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

No, I'm just saying that Religious education should be based in tolerance & impartiality. Professionals would more reliably achieve that given there is trully no vested interest. The example I gave was of what can go wrong when Adults,around the child,are bigoted.

4. Resistance isn't futile

I'm not a blind fool to some the *intolerace* some people show towards relgious views, cultures and gender.

As a recent convert to Islam I've been given a pretty cold wake up to Intolerance. Both amoungst what's considered the "traditional" muslim nationalties and amongst the *traditional* English. It seems to me that they both have something in common and it's not relgion. It's some pratt filling their heads that they're some how better than everyone else because everyone else acts like uncivilized toggers

Now I have the misfortune of living sandwiched between 2 different pakastani households. The one on my left is Muslim and the one on my right is Christian... The men of both those households treat me like I'm some of invisible annoyance. None of them will even look me in the face and the male(father) head of the Chrisitan family once outright told me to find a man if I wanted to talk to him. (And all I was doing was saying "Hello" as I passed him)

As for the English... Don't get me going about my fellow copatriots.

So if you ask me the solution isn't get rid of relgion. It's get rid of big mouth idiots that fill the ignorant stupid masses with rubbish ideas.

5. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

Yup you nailed it, they behave that way because they THINK they're supposed to shame people of other beliefs until they guilt trip them into switching faiths.

I've seen this like all the time and it annoys me, and I'm pretty sure it annoyed Jesus given the way he reacted to the Pharisees for only wanting to associate (talk, communicate) with certain people for the sake of religious purity or some illogical reason.

That Christian family that you are sandwiched inbetween, are not TRUE Christians because if they were they'd know that Jesus spoke against what they're doing to you.

And this is exactly why I think to an extent, civil law NEEDS to make it a right that Christian parents can't SHELTER their children on religious/faith grounds, but they certainly can say:

"Our family believes in ___, and the rest of the world will teach you ___, as a grown up you'll have to decided for yourself"

Parent should NOT be saying : "NO they're wrong, we believe this and that's it!"

For instance you can't throw your kids out of your house on religious grounds, you can't kill them for lying once. So there need to be restrictions on religious expression, because they affect civil law.

Certainly we've seen cases where religious logic is used to commit the murder of a homosexual person (we're seeing that in Russia) or the whipping to death of a child who was "defiant".

What defines the world "defiant"? Bible and other religious texts really don't say, it's up to personal interpretation.

----

Certainly many people of the past were deemed stupid or dumb, but in modern day we now know them to be intelligent but they probably had dyslexia or autism or something else.

So any reaction that people of the past had was premature and people shouldn't have made that inference in the first place; but they did because they assumed it was true based on the beliefs of the time, and what they trusted with their eyes, instead of being humble and admitting they had non-answers.

6. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Wow. That's hardly Catholic teaching they were giving you. I'm frankly a bit shocked. I honestly don't have words for it.

My father essentially taught me orthodox Catholicism; and certainly nothing spurious like calling other people and faiths 'bad'. I mean don't get me wrong, I was certainly taught that the Catholic Church was, doctrinally speaking, infallible, but tolerance was always a message inherent to the whole thing. He also taught me to think for myself and try my best to be objective, as well as the 'how' and 'why' of every Catholic teaching I had a question for.

I agree they should be able to pursue any knowledge they wish. But I have to ask, do you really feel like valuable classroom time should be taken up with different religious education? I mean beyond the basics? I'd rather they be studying Pythagoras and Cicero.

7. Resistance isn't futile

No one should send their child to a "STATE" owned school! Education should be taken care of by the parents and by relgious institutions. Because with a state sponsored education all you get is dummies that think they can read and believe any kind of propoganda told to them.

8. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

That might make it tough for parents who work full time and can't afford private schooling; or aren't religious. I don't think this is practical.

9. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Egypt, and Tunisia had and still have some of the poorest people in the world. Their annual income was about $360 per year when the Arab Spring started. Where did those people get the money to buy Blackberries? The media said they used Blackberries to move the Arab Spring into high gear. Some where did the Blackberries come from? Did they come from the CIA? I agree with the writer who said that the military take-over of Egypt was all about a US take-over of Egypt. Anywhere in the Middle East that you see a government friendly to America, you also see a totalitarian government, the lack of freedom, and the lack of democracy.

10. Resistance isn't futile

No... no private schools either. And this entire system of work, eat, buy and die is pure garbage. It's time to go back to tradesman, artists, etc and trading amongst ourselves.

YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD!!!

The first clue that something wasn't right was all the phoney baloney that the Internet and Facebook caused the Arab spring.... Was the fact that the average Egyptian and Tunisian didn't have enough money to buy a sack of figs for dinner but we're supposed to believe that he could afford Blackberries, Internet connections, etc.

11. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

Umm black market? Hackers?

If you know how to hack, you win, and could technically just ride off that. Plus there/were tons of people educated in Egypt, because they came to the USA colleges and took that knowledge back home to teach it to others or whatnot.

Skills are more valuable than money, especially in the middle of chaos.

12. Sig

Sig Senior Member

You see that in every government in the Middle East, regardless of whether they are friendly towards America or not.

13. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

As far as I know 'Cultural studies (including basic analysis & knowledge of the worlds religions) is taught in UK schools. I feel that this is very important,to some extent a kind of insurance against the spread of racism,ect.

I don't see this as being as achievable in the childs home in that kids havent the opportunity to discuss/debate the issues with a room full of other kids. Teaching by parents,Ive always felt,is a bit faulty,not all kids accept their parents every word,its easy to pay lip service. At school debates can be lively engaging & challenging & it involves same age peers!

14. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Sorry,I don't want to educate my kids. I don't want my kids to be little clones of me. I want kids to experience life for themselves,make their own friends,decisions, mistakes & choices. As a parent I'm there to protect,I accept that but it can be overdone. The thought of what it might have been like had I been stuck with my parents 24/7 is horrific ! Thats cruelty surely.

15. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I see what you mean here. I learned some basic stuff about other religions and what not (World Cultures I believe was the class name) but I don't think it was very in depth. You definitely make a good point as to its importance.

16. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Believe me,I am not usually FOR schools or anyone else taking on Parental roles. I'm aghast at moves within the education system for schools to teach Kids table manners ,for example,in the UK.
    I just think that there are certain key issues that we cannot afford to leave to chance,for the childs sake and from a societal point of view.

17. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Since when did it become necessary for the U.S., the U.N. or any other nation to have a say in the creation and/or ratification of the Egyption or for that matter any other sovereign nations constitution?

18. SuperXX

SuperXX Guest

Banning shall not solve the problem for long since the true religion is in head, not in law.