New dread forum

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Earthy Mama, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

2. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

oooooooooooh thank god.. it's just getting out of hand here in fashion and crafts here . lol.. i may have contributed once or twice with a new thread.. :rolleyes:
    but now my dreadies are gone.. *sigh*

3. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Why did ya get rid of your dreads?

4. goldmund

goldmund Member

earthy, are you rasta, heavily influenced by it? Your children's names, etc. Just wondering.

5. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

they felt dirty and i missed having my fingers run through my hair, and the feel when you're out in the rain, and it sticks to your face, and it just looks so pretty beyond anything.... well almost. lol.

6. Earthy Mama

opps double posted sry!

7. Earthy Mama

I am not rasta (though my hubby to be is) but I believe in keeping life simple and natural. For the most part I live outside and in the woods unless I am at my moms house(so the kids can visit) typing on this contraption(lol). Dreadlocks are the most natural form your hair takes. This is my descision for growing dreadlocks. I guess you could say I am also influnced by the rastifarian beliefs being that my boyfriend's life is. My childern's names are very special and spirtual to metoo.

8. Earthy Mama

dreadlocks can be clean! Dreadlocks can be beautiful if taken care of properly by washing them. I know what you mean though, the wet hair on your face feel is pretty damn cool. :)

9. Love In A Dumpster

Love In A Dumpster Member

Ah. I love my dreads. I like how they fluff up after I shower.;)

10. goldmund

goldmund Member

I got into an arguement, didn't mean to, with a devout Roman Catholic woman about dreadlocks and people in the bible, east christian ascetics, etc. While Samson, was a Nazarite, he was also a city boy, and had not entirely shunned the world. I am not 100% sure that he had dreads. But John the Baptist almost certainly did, I mean could you imagine a guy living in the wilderness with minimal covering, subsisting on wild berries and honey, carrying around a comb, just to brush his hair? No way.

Jesus, though not necessary a wilderness wanderer, I can't imagine paid much attention to how his hair looked either. Many academics, however, believe that Jesus may have had short hair, contemporary with the fashion of his day. They say the longhaired Jesus was use to make a connection with the Byzantine style for rulers who also grew their hair long. I have seen some very early Christian icons of Christ with short hair surrounded by lambs (interestingly, from Rome). Also, in Ethiopia, Christ is sometimes, but not usually, portrayed as having a tight afro.
    I was trying to find some online pics of Christian monastics with with dreads. I know I've seen some somewhere, usually of Ethiopian or Russian hermits, but I couldn't find any when she was here. She left uncovinced. Oh well :)