New Book: Cry Baby Hollow

Discussion in 'New Books' started by Biblioholic, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Biblioholic

Biblioholic Guest

I have become disenchanted with big publishers since the advent fo the e-book and e-readers. I hate that big publishers are charging practically the same price for an e-book as that of an actual paper book. They are destined to fail just like big record labels in the music industry. As a result, I have found myself more and more perusing the unknown self published authors, who usually charge a more respectable and resonable price ($.99-2.99) for their books.

The downside is that you will have to dig and dig just to find a decently edited book, as they usually do not seem to spend the money on editors.

I thought I would share a recent gem I found.

[​IMG]
    Cry Baby Hollow, by Aimee Love

This one caught my eye because is it set in a part of Tennessee that I used to take motorcycle trips through. Saw some creepy hillbilly areas and always expected to hear banjo music. I also like some paranormal fiction like the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. I took a chance and grabbed this book.

I was hooked in the first chapter. Stayed up most of the might to finish. The synopsis sets up the book as a werewolf book, however the werewolves are not fully encountered until almost the final parts of the book. Actualy I forgot it was a book about werewolves due to how captivating the characters were. The story is a good one, but you will read this book for the characters. The lead is a strong female and one I instantly liked, but she paled next to her supporting characters, such as her psuedo-relative "Vina". Some memorable Vina quotes:

"That boy is every woman's type. I could rent him out to the Mormons so they don't have to electrocute their lesbos anymore."

or

" Next time you come around here I'm gonna fill you so full of rock salt people will lick your ass before they take a shot of tequila!"

I do not want to give any spoilers, but the approach of the author to the werewolf mythos is refreshingly unique. Only women are werewolves due to their genetics ancestry, and they only change based on their female cycles. I think I have met some of these women in real life:).

Over all it was a fast paced excellent read. Well edited. I recommend checking this book out. I found it at the Kindle store and it was under $3.