new bird?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by snelio37, Jan 22, 2005.

1. snelio37

snelio37 Member

My birdie died awhile back. about a month and a half now. it was really sudden, he flew out the door just as it was being slammed and his neck was snapped. :(

i think it would be awesome if we got another bird, because living with one for 4 years and then just not is so hard. i miss bizarre little noises at night, really loud raucous ones during the day. and don't get me wrong, i love my pups, but there's something about a parrot that no other animal has. but, i don't really know what kind we would get or if any at all would be universally disappointing. pupu was a sun conure, rescued from a drughouse, with some behavioral issues and more personality than could fit in that little body for very long. i was thinking maybe an amazon or similar, but maybe a tad less agressive. ( you can take it from a small bird, but if a big one did some off the things Puman did, there wouold have been several hospitalizations :) )

2. Elle

Elle Senior Member

I really like cockatiels (sp?). I have always been against keeping an animal that has to be caged, but with gertie (the bird I had when I was a kid) he stayed out of his cage all day and walked freely around the house. Unfortunatley that was how he died. He liked to follow us around (he was awesome) and he followed my dad into the bathroom one day and my dad stepped on him and killed him:( We buried him under his favorite lime tree in the backyard.

3. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

I am so sorry for your loss. I too have many pets. I agree with you, birds are great. I used to bread birds but now I only have 2 breeder birds left. I still have plenty of pet birds though. You might want to consider a Jardine. They are green with some orange on there head and wings. They are very smart and are great talkers. Mine even understands what many words mean. They are also quiet birds (generally speaking). They don’t really scream a lot. African Gray’s are another popular choice because of their talking ability. Ecluctus parrots are also great but a little expensive. They are very pretty birds though. They are also kind of big. Not as big as say a macaw but, you would need a good sized cage for them. Anyway, I could go on and on about this type of bird or that type. So, I’ll just give you one piece of advice.

Don’t buy your bird from a pet store. Look in your paper for a local breeder. You will get a bird that is well socialized. Pet stores do not care for birds well and purchase from big bird warehouses. They are seldom had tame and may have other problems. Also you are likely to pay a higher price at a pet store. The only exception to this is parakeets and cockatiels. Breeders often charge more for them then the pet stores do and the price is well worth it.

If you have any questions about birds feel free to ask.

4. snelio37

snelio37 Member

i've done a lot of research ( over the last 4 years, more concentrated effort now) and i was looking into the lilac crowned amazon.what do you know about them? info is scarce on anything except double yellow heads, yellow naped and blue fronted.

we like greys, but our house is a nutfest and we need a nutty bird to go with it.

5. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Have you looked into the Black capped or white belly Caiques at all. They are known to be very silly and playful and one unique characteristic they have is they hop around. My aunt had one and loved it very much.

I don’t know much about the Amazon you are looking for, other then that I know they exist. I have never seen one personally. I would imagine they are the same as most other Amazons. Have you checked www.birdsinways.com They usually have some good information on birds as well free classified ads. You could post an ad there for the bird you are looking for. I have done that myself in the past with good results.

6. HighBlueSkies

HighBlueSkies Member

I'm really sorry to hear that your bird died tragically, but why do you want to get a new one? Birds are much more beautiful when viewed in a natural habitat, not in a cage in someone's house.

I think it would be a great idea if you took the money you are going to invest in a new a bird and gave it to a bird charity, like the The Songbird Foundation, The World Parrot Trust, or Loro Parque Fundación.

I'm sorry because I'm sure each and every one of you love your birds dearly, but the importation of these exotic creatures is disgusting. Many many birds die just so that 2 or 3 can make it to the pet store and be sold to a life behind bars.

I also realize that their are reputable breeders out there who know how to properly care for a bird, but for every 1 reputable breeder, there are 10 who don't give a damn and force-mate female birds until their death, all for the profits.

Please, I urge you to check it out.

http://www.worldparrottrust.org/
    http://www.loroparque-fundacion.org/

7. snelio37

snelio37 Member

^ i get what you're saying, but it doesn't change the fact that i love birds and birdy company, etc... it's kind of hard to understand if you've never shared your life with a bird. you don't just look at them, you co-exist.

i think supporting those reputable breeders will be just as helpful as giving to a charity, if not moreso. plus, imported birds are rare nowadays and breeders breed tame, handfed babies.

but, we'll consider donationg anyway, thanks for caring about the parrots. :)

8. kindwoman

kindwoman Sista Golden Hair

Sorry about your birdy, how sad. :( Birds are such fragile creatures, but I love them! I had a cockatiel that died, (don't know why) and we got another one. We got her when she was a baby & have had her for quite awhile now. I love my cockatiel, but birds aren't for everyone. They demand a lot of attention & you have to watch them very closely, especially if you let them out of their cage. So far so good for Phoebe, my cockatiel. Good luck on your quest for the right bird!

9. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

I do definitely understand and share your concerns on this. That is why I always suggest that people purchase all pets (not just birds) from local breeders. In my opinion, pet stores should only sell pet supplies because of the very reasons you stated.(believe me I could elaborate a lot more on the points you made about pet stores) However, that is not true of local breeders. You will find that your local breeders are doing so out of love for animals not money.

10. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

Get a Pionus. Sweetest birds you'll ever meet.

Mexican Red Headed Amazons and Yellow Crowned are also pretty good pets, as is the Lilac Crown, which you already mentioned.

I, personally, am saving up for a Jenday Conure... Loud buggers, but oooooooh I love them.

11. Dovir

Dovir Member

Aww.. I had like 5 birds, the other 3 birds keep dieing because of the cage I have, they get trapped in the bars and die :( . I am going to get a new cage, so that the bars arn't so big.. It was so sad when I discovered them when they were dead.

12. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

5 birds in one cage is way too many birds in one enclosure. Please consider getting 2 cages and keep 2 in one and 3 in another bigger cage. Birds need space too. :)