New Bamboo Chillum

Discussion in 'Show Your Piece' started by MountainMike, Feb 7, 2008.

1. MountainMike

MountainMike Member

Made this bamboo chillum today. Just wanted to see what you guys think. I heard that using honey to build up the bowl works well. any other suggestions?

probably going to burn some cool design onto the flat part.

[​IMG]

closeup of bowl
    [​IMG]

2. Colimon

Colimon Cheesus Christo

That's pretty intense man! I would love a bamboo anything to blaze out of!

3. Just a daily toke

Just a daily toke Senior Member

nice, i had a sand blasted chillum but well the cops can have fun smoking out of it

4. green-hair-blue-eyes

green-hair-blue-eyes Member

chilums...they're populare ova in india....how do you smoke em? i imagen havin to lie on your back and getting ash in my eye

5. MountainMike

MountainMike Member

haha^ you kinda hold it at an angle in your lips. there are some hand techniques as well, but im not too familiar with them (they arent necessary, but they can make smoking a chillum easier)

6. green-hair-blue-eyes

...hmmm i think ill look like a chimp drinkin a beer

7. MountainMike

MountainMike Member

8. Donski

Donski Member

The only way I've ever smoked a chillum was with my hands. You cup both of yours hands together like you were packing a snowball so you have a large open area in the middle of your hands. You stick the chillum between two of your fingers so it's pointing up, then you hit it by sucking the smoke out from between your thumbs. It makes your hands smell like resin, but you get some really great hits that way.

[​IMG]

9. green-hair-blue-eyes

cool sands nice and i got bamboo slowl incroachin on my patch so i can make one from that....or soapstone, can i make one from soapstone?

10. jusdino4it

jusdino4it DR. Lifetime Supporter

Thats sick man. I work at the zoo and the place is crawling with bamboo. I never thought about using the little sepperator as a bowl. Im deffenltly going to try to make on.

11. rint

rint Member

How does it smoke? Does the bamboo burn up or anything? I have lots of bamboo and I am going to make one of these things! Thanks!!

12. MountainMike

MountainMike Member

i used honey to resin it up and build a solid bowl. if you dont it might burn a little, but should become strong eventually

13. Je le ferai

Je le ferai Member

A good idea would be to fire anything bamboo before using it.

Just let it be in the fire until the oils boil off. Those things can get REALLY hard and strong if you fire them first.

14. Zoonjoo

Zoonjoo Member

that looks sweet.
    but wouldnt the bamboo burn?

15. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

Great, I smoke only this kind of simple and very efficient chillums for years already, they also sell very well, only desadvantage is that you have to invest an average of 10 minutes of explanations every time ("doesn`t it burn" is the most frequently asked question).
    Advantages: If you make them out of the thicker bottom part of the bambus stem they are very solid. Thanx to condensation H2O I smoked one for one year every day all day long and it didn`t burn a lot away, only the hole got a little bigger (I make only one bigger one in the middle, if the diameter of the bamboo is very big I also make several holes). If the hole is too big you put a piece of stone or something in the middle.
    The fresh ones have by far the best taste, then after about a week of smoking all day long the taste gets more acid etc when it starts dryig. Then I make a new one if possible. But the longest I had one was one year as I wrote above.
    The other great advantage is that you get rid of the ashes by blowing into it (outdoors) and they are very easy to clean with sticks, rolled paper etc.

One possible problem is when you smoke inside and the burning chamber has too much of an opening angle the glowing content can fall out if you hold it downwards.
    The other danger is that you loose them easily in the forrest/ besides campfires, you better paint them in colours in siuch surroundings.

Advantage is also that they are very quickly produced.

BOOM!

16. tasha2

tasha2 Member

I love smoking the chillum. The trick is to make a chamber with your hands and keep it up, slightly at an angle.
    One of my friends that went to India taught me also to move it closer to your forehead and say something like 'boom shankar' before you start smoking to make the experience more spiritual.
    [​IMG]

17. sam.yeah!

sam.yeah! Member

That is pretty damn sick.

18. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

I found a video about this but the guy make it a bit too complicated: no need to peel it, just cut with your pocket knive saw, poke a hole in the membran (and smoothen the edges), ready. I have made big ones where you can moke 20 grams of mixture at once lol.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5nUcfIO2DI"]Bamboo Chillum - YouTube