Nervous Hippie Studying Abroad?

Discussion in 'Italy' started by steppingstones, Aug 9, 2010.

1. steppingstones

steppingstones Member

I'm interested in studying at John Cabot in Rome my junior year of college (three years away), but it's a program that I have to start preparing for right now. Is there anything (useful information, travel tips, adjustment and accomodation) that I need to know before I take the plunge on such a serious adventure?:confused:

2. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

You know what they say, "When in Rome..."

But seriously, maybe learn some Italian, it isn't too difficult of a language. I'd say first and foremost really get to know what it is you're going to be studying as that will most likely cause the most stress out of anything. I haven't been there so I don't really know much about it, but I'd say if you keep an open mind and enjoy a part of another world (one that isn't western) you should be just fine. Most colleges are very helpful in their student resource depatments. There are many people I'm sure, as there is at most colleges, who'll help you with accomodations (student shared houses and the like). Knowing that they take english exchange students I'm sure they'll be very helpful at showing you around, helping you with the language, where to shop, eat, etc. If you do decide to go, take lots of pictures and have a really great time. :)

3. steppingstones

steppingstones Member

Thank you. I'm starting learning Italian this year, and it's mandatory at the university that if I wish to study abroad in Italy I have to take Italian classes there as well. So, I'm sure I'll be slightly fluent by then, if I work at it. I guess I'm just nervous about sticking out like a sore thumb, which is probably unavoidable. But I already seem to not fit in here, and that's rather irritating at times. Haha, Anyway, Thank you for the advice, I'll be sure to use it.

4. lunarverse

Don't be worried about sticking out. People will probably appreciate a new perspective and whatnot. Anytime I've gone somewhere new the people have always asked, "So, what do you think of --?" They're usually interested in an outsiders perspective. Besides, if it's a college/university you can be almost positive you won't be the only "foreigner" there.

5. steppingstones

steppingstones Member

:) ! thanks for the reassurance.

6. lunarverse

:) No problem.