Neighbors burning leaves and brush

Discussion in 'Pollution' started by purple-moss, Apr 4, 2007.

1. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

grrr...what is with people?! It is a great day today...sunny , blue skies, nice and warm.....so what do they do ....burn and smoke up the whole valley.

I do not understand how people can freak out over someone smoking a cig next to them... then go home and burn there leaves and smoke the whole neighborhood out....brainless!

and whats interesting is we have a ban on smoking in restruants ....but nothing on leaf and brush burning or at least its not enforced. Most of these people live on 3 or more acres of land and yet do not compost a dam thing ....

okay this rant is over.....;)

2. Leopold Plumtree

Leopold Plumtree Member

Nothing wrong with burning some brush...but it's best to do it in an open place where the smoke wouldn't be invasive to others.

3. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

yeah its one thing to burn a dry brush pile ....it goes up quick and clean

but these people do their yard work for their blush yards and then burn the green wet material ...creating a column of smoke that then drifts in to my window.

it stinks and makes your eyes water .....

4. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

I think a lot of people don't really know much about composting and why it is generally better then burning. Composted material added back to the soil is better for soil quality then ash (in most situations). Composting doesn't cause air pollution then way burning does.

5. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

yeah i agree and i also think a big issue is it takes TIME....and they want instant results.

6. free2fly

free2fly Members

waa waa waa..... =P

7. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

brat

8. JugoConFuego

JugoConFuego Member

Decomposition results in co2 production. any degrading of organic material does this just as reparation is the decomposition of glucose into bas products of co2 and h2o. air born Particulate is necessary to eventual precipitation. Condensation occurs on the particulates. Particulate reflects solar energy into the Great Abyss. Olfactory analysis indicates differing chemical make up of Leaf/brush smoke to cig smoke. I claim this based on smell. I'm myopic any way so what do i care about the view.

9. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

yeah thanks your so imformative:rolleyes:

burning the pile of organic matter results in a quick release of co2 in to the atmosphere were as composting is a slow release that could take years to be fully completed that and it provides better growing conditions for plants.

air born particulate also includes pollen, dust, bacteria and algae which are naturally occurring in the enviroment...so i do not think the neighbor burning there leaf pile necessary for rain.

" Particulate reflects solar energy into the Great Abyss."

so does sulphur containing compounds but i am not wanting a volcanoe to erupt either [​IMG]

studies have show that wood smoke contains more carcinogens then cigs, it is one of the main causes of lung disease in third world countries ...i am surprised your nose did not tell you that.

"I'm myopic any way so what do i care about the view."

when its coming in your window ...even a blind man can see it;)

10. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

Site your source, if that's true I'd really like to read about it.

11. dooncune

dooncune Member

I'd really like to see the list of wood burning third world countries too.

12. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

..............okay [​IMG]

"16. (a)The EPA estimates that the lifetime cancer risk from wood stove smoke is twelve times greater than that from an equal volume of second hand tobacco smoke. (The Health Effects of Wood Smoke, Washington State Department of Ecology);"http://burningissues.org/fact-sheet.htm

"[size=+1]The EPA estimates that wood smoke is 12 times more carcinogenic than equal amounts of tobacco smoke."[/size]http://burningissues.org/simple-facts.htm

"Wood Smoke vs. Cigarette Smoke

Although many people associate tobacco smoke with certain health risks, research indicates that second hand wood smoke has potentially even greater ability to damage health. A comparison between tobacco smoke and wood smoke using electron spin resonance revealed quite startling results (Rozenberg 2001, Wood Smoke is More Damaging than Tobacco Smoke). Tobacco smoke causes damage in the body for approximately 30 seconds after it is inhaled. Wood smoke, however, continues to be chemically active and cause damage to cells in the body for up to 20 minutes, or 40 times longer.

Some of the components in wood smoke are free radicals, which steal electrons from the body, leaving cells unstable or injured. Some of these cells may die, while others may be altered and take on different functions. These changes lead to inflammation, which causes stress on the body. EPA researchers suggest that the lifetime cancer risk from wood stove emissions may be 12 times greater than the lifetime cancer risk from exposure to an equal amount of cigarette smoke. (Rozenberg 2001, What's in Wood Smoke and Other Emissions)."http://www.des.state.nh.us/ard/smoke.htm

"Wood smoke can damage your health in many ways
    Apart from the increased risk of asthma attacks in susceptible people, wood smoke has been linked to a range of ill effects. There have been various research studies done on the effects of wood smoke. However, many of these studies were done with women and children in developing countries who were exposed to high concentrations of indoor woodsmoke because they used firewood for cooking. Some of the possible ill effects of wood smoke include:
    • Young children, the elderly and people with pre-existing cardiopulmonary (heart and lung) diseases are particularly susceptible to the harmful effects of wood smoke.
    • Chronic exposure to wood smoke reduces lung function and increases the risk of many respiratory diseases such as obstructive airways disease (OAD) and chronic bronchitis.
    • Exposure to wood smoke increases the risk of otitis media (middle ear infection).
    • Daily exposure to wood smoke can increase the risk of a pregnant woman miscarrying by 50 per cent.
    • Chronic exposure to wood smoke can reduce the functioning of the immune system.
    • It is suspected that airborne particles in wood smoke can increase the risk of cancer if regularly inhaled
    • It has been estimated that wood smoke is 12 times more carcinogenic than tobacco smoke.
    • "http://www.disability.vic.gov.au/dsonline/dsarticles.nsf/pages/Wood_fires_and_breathing_problems?OpenDocument

" Several studies have shown that exposure to woodsmoke reduces lung function, especially in children, and increases coughs and other respiratory diseases. In Bogota, woodsmoke exposure may explain about half of all cases of obstructive airways disease. In Mexico City, famous for its traffic pollution, women exposed to woodsmoke had 3.9 times the risk of chronic bronchitis and 9.7 times the risk of chronic bronchitis plus chronic airway obstruction. If exposed for an average of 33 mins or more a day (200 or more hours/year), risks were 15 and 75 times higher than in women not exposed to woodsmoke. In Arfica, cooking with wood increased the risk of stillbirth by 50%. Homes with woodstoves were found to have greater concentration of mutagenic material in the air, resulting in increased risk of cancer. "http://www.3sc.net/airqual/smog_refdescr.htm

"indoor air pollution from the solid fuel use in household stoves is a risk factor for several important diseases. Five of these air pollution related diseases – ischaemic heart disease, lower respiratory infections, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, tuberculosis, and cancers of the respiratory tract – are among the ten leading causes of death globally (Murray and Lopez 1997). The most detailed estimates of the health impacts have been calculated for India (Smith 2000). Household solid fuel causes an estimated 500,000 premature deaths per year in women and children under 5 in India. This disease burden is almost as large as the national disease burden of poor water and sanitation and greater than the national burden of major health concerns such as malaria, tuberculosis, tobacco, AIDS, heart disease, and cancer (Murray and Lopez, 1996). Extrapolating this estimate to the total number of people cooking with solid fuels in the developing world, the global impact is estimated at about 2 million deaths per year. This is similar in magnitude to the World Health Organization estimates of about 2.5 million (WHO, 1997)."

http://ceihd.berkeley.edu/ceihd%20literature%20review.htm

"Biomass serves as a major fuel source for > 50% of the world's population. The global burden of disease attributed to indoor air pollution from biomass combustion accounts for approximately 3% of worldwide disability-adjusted life-years lost. This is due to pneumonia in children and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and lung cancer in women."
    http://www.ehponline.org/members/2006/8489/8489.html

"Globally, almost three billion people rely on biomass (wood, charcoal, crop residues, and dung) and coal as their primary source of domestic energy. Exposure to indoor air pollution from the combustion of solid fuels is an important cause of disease and mortality in developing countries."
    http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.energy.27.122001.083440

13. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

.................here is a couple more[​IMG]

"The World Health Organization (WHO) has assessed the contribution of a range of risk factors to the burden of disease and revealed indoor air pollution as the 8th most important risk factor and responsible for 2.7% of the global burden of disease . Globally, indoor air pollution from solid fuel use is responsible for 1.6 million deaths due to pneumonia, chronic respiratory disease and lung cancer, with the overall disease burden (in Disability-Adjusted Life Years or DALYs, a measure combining years of life lost due to disability and death) exceeding the burden from outdoor air pollution five fold. In high-mortality developing countries, indoor smoke is responsible for an estimated 3.7% of the overall disease burden, making it the most lethal killer after malnutrition, unsafe sex and lack of safe water and sanitation"
    http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs292/en/index.html

" Domestic burning of biomass fuel is one of the most important risk factors for the development of respiratory diseases and infant mortality. The fuel which causes the highest level of disease is dung. In the rural areas of developing countries some 80% of households rely on biomass fuels for cooking and often heating as well and so suffer high indoor air pollution. Even when the fire or stove is outside the home those near it are still exposed to the smoke."
    http://ibe.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/11/6/351

14. JugoConFuego

JugoConFuego Member

Depending on your definition of blind unregarded; blind people don't see. unless you mean something metaphysical...

15. Pronatalist1

Pronatalist1 Banned

I thought that's what you are supposed to do with brush, leaves, and trash, in areas where the population density is low enough (i.e. the countyside). In areas where the city hauls your trash and leaves away, in exchange, it seems somewhat reasonable, to ask us not to burn them then. Isn't that about what nature does periodically? Natural forest fires burning away excessive combustables? Burning also releases the nutrients back to the soil. Natural rotting might be better sometimes, but sometimes is too slow for our liking. And piles of brush may attract unwelcome rodents and snakes?

16. Pronatalist1

Pronatalist1 Banned

I wouldn't recommend burning wood, to cook with, very often (with the obvious occasion exception of a campfire), unless properly vented outside as with a wood stove or fireplace, as the developing nations suffer from respiratory problems, due to the lack of handy gas and electric cookstoves and microwave ovens. Modern technology isn't just merely more convenient, but also makes for safer and cleaner cooking too.

17. EMAT101

EMAT101 Member

ive heard that too