Needmore Community In Brown County Indiana...

Discussion in 'Indiana' started by Jasonallender, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Jasonallender

Jasonallender Members

Hi everyone. I wanted to ask a possibly sensitive question about the Needmore commune. Firstly, my families history is pretty dark, but most of it was never spoken of, unless it was from someone outside the family...which gets to my point:

A few years back, I was approached by someone who knew my great grandfather and grandfather when the lived in the brown county area. While I lived a pretty peaceful life with my parents, the generations before them were known to be cruel and terribly abusive.

The report from this fellow at work, was the my great grandfather Bill, and this fellows grandfather succeeded in burning down part or all of a hippy commune with a can of gas. Could this have been the Needmore commune? I can only find partial articles online.

Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks for any help in me dealing with the darker times in my family history.

2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

From what I read the place was not burned down, folks merely drifted away. Haven't read any dark history about the place at all!

3. Scratched

Scratched Members

I think once a month we should march at the statehouse to encourage legalization of weed in the Strict State.

WonderlostVW73 likes this.
  4. Scratched

Scratched Members

My friend is dating someone in Brown Co. , I will ask her what she knows about the Needmore community.

5. WonderlostVW73

WonderlostVW73 Midwest Librarian

6. WonderlostVW73

WonderlostVW73 Midwest Librarian

I made a friend recently who just told me he used to live there. For about six months in the mid 70's he said it was all right but not all it was cracked up to be. He's an old hippie guy and I'll take his word for it. There is another place in Peerless that's similar. While not an actual commune, it is one of the cooolest places I've found in Indiana so far. It's Lothlorien Nature Sanctuary. Check it out sometime.