need to put dog down - help

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by hf656, Apr 11, 2007.

1. hf656

hf656 Member

before you read / respond, i am not happy or joking about posting this -

help, it hurts so much to see my 13 yo dog suffer.... he is sick, has lots of lumps on his belly / side, "coughs" a lot and is slow to move...while his appetite is normal, there are days he does not eat.

although he has good days, i feel he is suffering more and more.

i need to find a humane way to put him down... we live in rural maine, vets are not close and even if they were, we do not have the $$ / reliable car to try to drive the distance.

i have access to guns but do not have the experience and really cannot bring myself to try to shoot my friend and "miss a little".

the only thing i can think of is that i can get a hold of some valium / pain pills....if i crush them up and put in food, would it just put him to sleep or would there be suffering?

he is about 65 lbs... how many milligrams would i need? is there another way to try to help him out?

2. IvoryVision

IvoryVision Member

I'm really sorry to hear about your dog... It's always sad to see them go down that road. You're right though, and I totally agree with your decision to put him down. If he lived in nature as a wild creature, he'd have already been on his next adventure by now. You're just trying to help him where he can't help himself, and that's perfectly understandable.

I don't really know how to solve your problem... I am not sure whether or not human medications would work for a dog, and if they would be painless or not. Hopefully someone will come along with some better info for you.

3. physicalxgraffiti

physicalxgraffiti Member

I understand your dilemma, I think there are few and far humane methods of putting an animal down without euthanasia. The shot usually given to animals is like an extreme overdose of a painkiller or anesthetic. It slows the heart down fairly quickly until it stops and the animal feels no pain. I am no expert, I'm just an intern.
    But...Since valium is a benzodiazepine, more specifically a diazepam it is not what is used to put animals down. Barbiturates and high doses of potassium chloride are often used. This is sometimes used on people for lethal injection. If these drugs are easily obtainable for you, it would probably be your best option if money is a crutch. I'd imagine you would just go slightly over the dosage. But please, I am not positive as to whether or not this would have a similar effect as the euthanasia and I wouldn't want to give you any misguided advice, I would call a veterinarian and explain your situation. Many are willing to go the extra mile for an animal without charge to the owner.

4. Toby Stanley

Toby Stanley Member

I believe the formulation of human medications is completely different than that used for canines and thereby makes their affect on dogs quite unpredictable and not really an option. I would also stay away from the firearm option, since it is far too easy to screw it up and an old friend deserves a better end.

I would suggest contacting your closest humane society, even if they are some miles away, or even call a large animal veterinarian in your rural area, since they know about dogs too. I agree with physicalxgraffite that there are many people out there willing to lend a hand if you let them know your situation and how much you love your dog.

I have always known they are the most special of friends so I hope this helps and that your old dog is doing good this day.

5. dusk

dusk Member

Take your dog to the vets, what price can you put on a piecefull end to a great friendship.

6. Alaskan

Alaskan Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I had to put our old dog down last summer. My wife called me when I was in town and said she had been in seizures for about 30 minutes.
    When I got I realized she was spent. I took her out in the woods and said good bye. Thought it would bother me, but all I did was end her suffering.
    If I had loaded her up and taken her to the Vets for a shot, she would have suffered that much longer.
    I miss the ol' girl, there is her picture on the wall of family photo's .She had a long life and plenty of smoked salmon.........Bye Cosa.......

7. hf656

hf656 Member

thanks for all the kind thoughts and advice....i am going to ask around a little more when i see people and see if i can find a ride to a vet.

i will stay away from the valium idea....

thanks again

8. The Smiling Frog

The Smiling Frog Member

I live in rural Maine, but there are vets near. I didn't know any part of Maine was that "rural". Find a vet! Your dog may also have something curable. My dog doesn't eat somedays. He's 13 and is currently being treated for cancer. We have absolutely no money now, but we will find a way to afford his treatments.

9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

a firearm only if you are a crack shot. It is also fast.

when I lived in a rural area of Texas (g-d help me, I did) we had vets who made calls for horses/ cattle/ goats and other animals that were a pain to get into an office. we did take the dogs and cats, if that's all the critters who needed shots/exams.
    Call around and see if any vets will be in the area and schedule a piggy back appointment, if you can.
    check with the college that has the veterinary department, or state extension office (usually the same: the land-grant college) for a list of vets in your county.

10. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

yeah, my vet is awesome and i havnt had to pay for most of my animals euthanasia even though i try to lol theyre just so nice and they know im short on cash. i would try that route. those lumps may be fat deposits. in fact i bet they are. they shouldnt be a problem and theres simple cheap things like glucosamine and aspirin you can give him for arthritis and such and that might give you more time with him, its really helped our old guy. 13s pretty old though, and youll know when the right time is. call some local vets and tell them your situation, im sure youll find one to do it for a reduced price. is it really that expensive though? its only about $20 at my vet.

11. denimstar

denimstar edge of darkness

I would never let my pet suffer if nothing else donate him to the vet and they will put him down.

12. hf656

hf656 Member

mother nature took her own course and yesterday my buddy did not wake up when i came home and called out to him.

thanks for all the kind thoughts and suggestions.

he is in a better place now, romping around with my parents and our other dogs.

13. Peanuts

Peanuts Nutz

My heart breaks for you. I went through this pain 2 years ago. My Buddy had cancer. It was aweful to have to let go of him.

I wish you healing.

Maybe your Buddy and my Buddy are playing at the Rainbow Bridge.

14. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your friend.

15. PoisonedPenny

PoisonedPenny Member

I'm sorry that you lost your friend.