Need People to Start WA STate Commune

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by Passionflower, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Owl Watching Bear

Owl Watching Bear Member

Unless somebody else is willing to do so, I'll step up to take charge for getting things started. But I wouldn't want to lead in an ongoing way. We don't need to have one ongoing leader. We could avoid abuses of power by:

1) All decisions that affect only the individual are left up to the individual

2) All long-term house decisions made by consensus based on an original shared vision

3) All short-term house decisions made by a rotating jefe role (not so prone to abuses because the role rotates, say every two weeks?) The jefe would be responsible for collective shopping, meal preparation, paying bills, etc., and would have authority to challenge members not keeping their agreements.

4) There could be one or two permanent house "grandparents", who would lead by example, by inspiration, by soul, not intellect. They would be consulted and respectfully listened to before individuals make independent decisions and the group makes collective decisions. If there were need for an appeal between Jefe and member, the grandparents would hear the appeal. There is less likelihood of power abuse by grandparents because they are inspirational figureheads, not carrying too much real power.

What do you call an intentional community where all members work part-time outside the house, and all contribute to house expenses? Then a cottage industry is not necessary for starting up, although one could be developed later.

Expenses would be far less when shared efficiently, and this is what would enable us to work part-time, thereby allowing more time for meditation, community building, self-development, herb gardens, or what have you.

We could avoid house financial disasters by requiring payment of expense contributions a month in advance, so that if someone could not pay, and the house could not survive the deficit, the person would have time to make other living arrangements and the house would have time to seek another member.

We could avoid inequities of work sharing by eliminating permanent leadership, requiring all members to share equally in meal clean-up, housekeeping, and other chores, except the rotating jefe who would get time off from housechores during his/her term because of extra jefe duties.

These are my two cents. Any takers?

Love and blessings,
    Owl Watching Bear

2. Midget

Midget Senior Member

I like your theory. It seems very well thought out and planned, and very reasonable and fair in how it is organized. :) What's a jafe, though? Hmm...I soemhow missed the part about the grandparents--great idea!

3. steffan

steffan puffin

4. Owl Watching Bear

Owl Watching Bear Member

Since the jefe I proposed would be a temporary rotating position, campaigning would be moot. Everybody gets a turn.

Anything that leads to "necessity for control" is a problem. I'd like to understand your experience at sunnyvale better, what lead to this "necessity for control". Yes, life means growth and change, and we can change the shared vision, a document to base agreements upon. But I think we need to start with and maintain such a shared vision, to prevent bait and switch. If people are attracted by an original set of ideas, that must also be the set of ideas the group operates by, until it is amended by consensus, so that we are all working from the same page. When disagreement arise, at least we have a shared foundation--this original vision.

Please tell more about this Marx quote about "human factor". Is that the same as "life means growth and change", or "life is uncontrollable, finds a way". If so, that is like Daoism, keeping still and letting life happen rather than trying to orchestrate it. I resonate with that Daoist ethic.

I get how factions can develop, especially in a large group; and propose that this could be mitigated by regular check-ins, processes that promote compassion and connectedness. Whether we agree with all the other members isn't as important as whether we love and understand each other. I suspect factions are less likely to develop when we regularly get real with each other, sharing how we really feel. It requires a degree of emotional maturity and openness to develop such compassion.

I'm a little concerned that the median age in this group may make that a problem. Youth are sometimes better at idealism, aged are sometimes better at selfless compassion, and seeing the bigger picture. Does that make me the grandfather? I'm only 42! (I'm not sure I'm ready for that, but I guess I'd rather be an inspirational figurehead than a leader.) I'd say oldwolf would be a wonderful grandfather, but we're in WA and he's in NY. Frankly, as a single father, I'm tired of being a leader.

Jefe is the spanish word for "chief". I was looking for a word that doesn't sound so autocratic. It would be the person responsible for a buncha stuff for a temporary period.

Love and blessings,
    Owl Watching Bear

5. Tamee

Tamee naked

I really agree with this.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Member

I'd like to know what kind of vision you have for a commune here in Wa. Would it be Rural or in the city?

7. Owl Watching Bear

Owl Watching Bear Member

Well, cottage industries that everybody can get behind are difficult to form. So perhaps it is more practical, at least in the beginning, to instead ask for shared contributions for expenses, which in turn means being within commute distance. My preference is certainly rural, but being too rural has meant shooting oneself in the foot for too many IC's, from what I hear.

Establishing a vision is not hard. Making it a shared one is not hard. The hard thing is to transform it from the fantasy to the reality stage. From what I can tell, a lot of people think the ideas discussed in this thread are good, but are not ready to move in.

Is anyone ready to move in besides me?

8. nwrfred

nwrfred Member

have you guys found land yet? sounds like you're doing some good thinking and figuring out how things could work. washington/oregon sounds like a nice place for a community. that's part of the ecotopian vision. if you need any help drop us a line at newworldrisingforum@yahoogroups.com. we're helping a bunch of groups of good people turn their dreams of community into reality. check out the new community forming in northern CA thread. i met them thru this forum and am helping them buy their land to get started. get to know them. they will be relatively close to you and it would be good to develop networks of communities so we can help each other out and learn from everybodys experience and be able to travel and be involved in a variety of places aroud the country and around the world. good luck. peace nwrfred

9. Owl Watching Bear

Owl Watching Bear Member

We haven't even started looking for land, as far as I've heard. I for one, would love to receive any support you can offer along the lines of 'turning dreams into reality'. Can you elaborate on the term "ectopian", and how to network with the ncal IC you mentioned?

--Owl Watching Bear

10. nwrfred

nwrfred Member

hey now, ecotopian is a combination of ecology and utopian. there was a book written in the 60s or early 70s called ecotopia. it was about how the northwestern section of the country, from northern cal up, seceded and formed their own utopian entity. it's been a long time since i read the book but the concept is enticing and fits in with the bioregion approach to social organization. breaking down the nation states into smaller more harmonious units. this would certainly reduce the chance of world and imperial wars like we are involved in in iraq. you can connect with the N Cal group at http://www.co-operativeeffort.com/. or check out the thread they started called check out our new website. as far as helping you guys getting going, it would be good for you to start communications with them since they are just getting going and learning from them how they are doing it. they pulled together an understanding of what type of community they wanted to start, put together a program of how it would function and be able to support itself, found a nice and affordable piece of land, put in an offer to the seller, i'm providing the downpayment and they are moving onto the land building the structures and other infrastructure they need, screening potential members, and there's a new community. i just met these people thru this forum a couple of weeks ago. but they've wanted to build a community for years and have put much thought into how it should run and how it can support itself. they're willing and able to make a long term committment and work towards it's creation. are you at that point? why don't you get to know them and talk things over. maybe you could go down and visit with them and check out the land they found. we can then take things from there. when you have a plan and a committment and some other interested people and some kind of a history to show that you can walk the walk then we can walk the trail to the new world together, meaning we will be able to also help you get your community in WA started. so let's get the communications going and take it from there. good to get to know you brother. peace nwrfred

11. volkswagonjunkie

volkswagonjunkie Member

I have 20 acres near Tonasket and Oroville WA. It is pretty isolated, but has some modern conveniences close in.

I was hoping to set up some sort of mild commune/co-op... to each their own as far as religions and beliefs, but a group effort and a close sense of community in the day to day living.

I want it to be largely self-sufficient, but open to bringing in the power line, purchasing food and supplies, and employment outside and schooling outside.

i.e. Choose your neighbors and enjoy their company!!

Currently, there is no power or water on the property. The paved road ends about a mile away, but it remains accessible year round since there are several permanant residents further into the ranch. None of the immediate lots were occupied last time I was there (summer 04).

The power line was about 1/4 mile away at that point as well. A well would have to be dug or drilled, we got as far as 10 feet and hit clay with shells in it. There is a nice field area that would probably work really well for wine grapes or something else that likes hot summers and minimal ground water.

Building codes are minimally enforced - last I heard the inspector didn't have a car. I was planning on building bale or cob houses in dimensions under code and then loosly connecting them with covered walkways so they were still technically separate structures.

I am locked into civilization for a while longer, but if anybody wants to start up - the property is just there doing nothing right now. Adjoining properties often come available too, so there is likely to be room for expanding later if it works out.

Later,
    Crunchy

12. George

George Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I haven't read all the posts so sorry if this has already been discussed. Like so many of you have said, "Let's get things rolling instead of a pipe dream" and since the thread was started with a request for a commune in Washington State, possibly I or others who live around this area could start searching for a piece of land. The Olympic Pen. in my opinion is going to be the best place to look since the weather's not nearly as extreme as in eastern washington and the land in some places is so cheap. I bought a truck from a group of cats who had a little commune of sorts going on over there and for 5 acres on the side of a pretty steap hill in a densley forested area they paid 20k about 7 years ago, 30 or 40k today and as far as being totally realistic and having to make payments, 40k with 5k down on a twenty year loan for someone with good credit is only what 3, 4 hundred a month or less.

We can't just through our money at someone we meet over the internet especially poor hippies so just thinking that initially their'll have to be some authority and organization over the project and ultimatley wondering if any of you older cats or any age interested on here who has good credit and know a little more about partnership or group lending along with multiple ownership fund organization would like to discuss first, what being treasure entails and second details about yourselves possibly on a private discussion board/Wpage so that eventually someone or a group of someones can make the first legal steps away from a beautiful campfire pipe dream.

I can't imagine there are too many financial advisor cats on here but if so, please speak up with advice. Legally everythings so fuck'n discusting now days, I guess ultimately what I'm saying is that I think leadership to tackle those legal nightmares is absolutley esential. It may be very simple like a multiple ownership fund where if shit does hit the fan, everyone who puts in 300$ or whatever can know that they'll get their money back; if that happened I know so many more people, even small percentage owners would be much happier to throw into the pot. ;-)

later guys,
    george

13. George

George Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Can I get your phone number or some information about where exactly your 20 acres is man? I still can't believe your generosity brother ;-)
    Cheers,
    hillshooteremery@hotmail.com my email

14. Lostin PAradise

Lostin PAradise Member

Stuck here in oregon on the coast. I'd be interesed in helping with the power situiation ie solar wind and water wheel. Have experience in such things. Just had a son 2 months ago and want to leave him a better place. VW I live a few miles up from Beaver Bob on 101. I'm also thinking of running down to the apprenticeship sp for cal-earth super adobe please keep me posted on the WA community.

15. yonosoymedico

yonosoymedico Member

I'd love to share some of my energy.. i just graduated from college and am tryin to make some $ to get outta my parents house,.... other than that I know I'm not meant to be here...
    any lovin'light I can share, ill be glad.. =)
    adam

16. Wolfdaze

Wolfdaze Guest

I own 100 acres is the Harrah/White Swan area of Washington State. I would like to find others who would like to start a non-religious commune. There are many natural resources that can be sold, for I own the mineral rights. I would like to start a Permaculture styled farm where we can all work together to make a great life and some profit selling perfect food to people. The land is surrounded by Yakama Indian Land, and is five miles as a crow flies from the nearest thing of civilization, which is a grape vineyard. If your interested, lets start talking.

17. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Hey Wolf, how many others if any do you have involved so far?

What sort of age bracket are you dealing with so far?

Have you actually done any farming / do you have a clue as to whats involved with permaculture farming?

Is there a good water source onsite?

As far as the 100 acres go. Is it unused land in the hills, or is it a burnt out old farm with fried soil (a.k.a. down to nothing but clay) you're trying to renovate?

Any utilities onsite?

What sort of crops are you planning on growing there?

And the mineral rights thing,,, are you thinking of small scale surface mining or something?

Get your post count up so you can send / recieve PM's

:cheers2:

p.s. Might want to start a new thread specificly related to your project there.

18. indydude

indydude Senior Member

Hey Wolf, What kind of natural resources do you have? Minerals?

19. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

C'mon Wolf, enquiring minds want to know. :D

20. Remoover

Remoover Guest

My wife and I really want to start a commune to shield us from the fall of the US dollar. We have two children and a dog. We own 100 acres of land by Yakima Washington. We own all of the mineral rights, as well. There is a hand dug well there that supplies aprox. 1000 gallons of water per day, it could supply more though. It still needs to be cased. There are two under ground streams that are considered "surface water" so they would be able to be used as well. There is no structures out there at this time, and we are trying to get people who are serious to start organizing a community with us. If your serious you can email me and remoover@gmail.com and we can start planning. We believe that through food production, we can sustain throughout the oncoming fall of the dollar.